Quantcast

calling all heart rate experts - Heidi, Veloci etc

Alrighty, now I've read the Sally Edwards book - and I thought it was great. I totally buy into the 5 zone approach and depending in your goals, determines what zones you want to train in. I'm taking this book as FACT not as opinion......

What do you think?

Last night at my gym, before spinning, there were a number of people looking at their hrms obsessing about what their limits should be set at. Instructors were helping people decide based on those stupid charts that aren't really accurate. These women are in good shape and I doubt the chart was accurate for them. THEN this woman tells the woman next to her how someone at the gym did some kind of assessment for her. She was told her heart rate should be between 140-150 when spinning. Uh, I wanted to say - did you tell her your goals? Did she explain to you why? Did she explain what that will do for you? I got the impression, she didn't know why she was doing what she was told. Kind of like my mom at curves (ask me again later if you've never heard of it).

That's it, just wanted to rant and get your opinions - it's funny, I've never met any of you but I respect you more than the losers at my gym.

:)

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I'm just starting to use a heart rate monitor when spinning at according to me age, weight, my target heart rate is 125-165. I guess it really does depend on what your goals are. While I'm spinning I keep my heart rate most of the time at about 80%. Some days I do a little less. I wore my monitor one day while Mountain Biking and it shot well over the max rate especially on a tough climb or technical section so it's definetly not to accurate while doing anything extreme. But I think your right, it really depends on what your goals are. Some of the spinning instructors don't even know how to prperly use them yet them rant and tave about having them in class. For example, one night the instructor was yelling out that our heart rate should be at 180. MY max is 165, so he obviously didn't know that peoples heart rates are different. He should have used percentages.

Originally posted by Scotty
I wore my monitor one day while Mountain Biking and it shot well over the max rate especially on a tough climb or technical section so it's definetly not to accurate while doing anything extreme.
Then it's not your max!

Your max is not dependant on what you are doing - it is depedant on factors such as age, level of fitness etc.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
hmmm I see. My max is 165 based on my weight and age and stuff. Am I pushing myself too hard while biking or are the monitors only designed for training on a bike or treadmill? Not to sound like a jerk but I am in very good shape and my fitness level is above average.

hmmm I see. My max is 165 based on my weight and age and stuff. Am I pushing myself too hard while biking or are the monitors only designed for training on a bike or treadmill? Not to sound like a jerk but I am in very good shape and my fitness level is above average.
It's not that you are pushing yourself too hard - it's that those mathematcial formulas to calculate max are innaccurate - ESPECIALLY for people who are in very good shape.

Read the book! I highly recommend it!

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=1PPROABJHM&mscssid=DWKDT2F83VSS9GQ8L5T8MSGWNHB25109&isbn=1884737803

They are currently out of stock - lots of people must have gotten HRMs for XMAS!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I agree MBC, it totally depends on your goals. What if you goal is just to lose weight? Well, then you shouldn't even BE riding in zone 4 or 5! I am perplexed, the highest I have EVER gotten my HR is 182 but yet when I ride, I regularly am 165-175 and that seems fairly high, >90 of my max.

That book kicks ass.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
to give newbies a reference point.

if I went by the #s 220 - 45 =175 for my max

reality is 187 on hard sprints [max reading when I can't sprint any longer] and I tend to hold 165-170 during long [40 mile] time trials during triathlon training.

the number will vary for all of us

By that hokey formula, my max is 190. Luckily, the manager at one of the LBSs (and a good friend) is USCF licenced coach with a computrainer. He tested me and it said my max is 209. I've since seen it hit 209, but never above. Even in a fiield sprint at a crit race.

One of the things he worked out for me was long rides at 60-65% of max. I still do intervals and stuff, but since I lack an endurance base(from riding for an hour or two and stopping)
my mission is to go ride for 5 or 6 hours at 60-65% once a week.

That also trains your body to fuel itself from a higher percentage of fat, instead of muscle glycogen. Muscle glycogen only lasts a couple of hours, and if you train longer than that consistently,
your body will start dipping into your fat reserves a lot sooner.

So this doesn't sync with the losers at your gym. Any exercise is better than none, but they are cheating themselves by not assessing their goals and having someone around who can direct their training accordingly.

I hope this helps, but what the hell are you doing spinning? Those things just sit there. Ride your real bike outside!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Last week i did a 10-mile loop at 175 to 190 bpm. 190 is suppose to be my max. And that was a tough and full effort ride. Then i rested and did two more loops with a break in between at about 160 to 175 and that felt good, like a Sunday ride with friends. 51 min first lap, 1 hour second and 58 min third.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Thanks MBC I am gonna get myself that book asap! and I agree that the Max heart rate formula is not accurate for everyone. It is a general formula used for the population as a whole but in order to find your accurate max heart rate you would have to have a Stress Test performed almost always by a physician....this takes time and some money (not a whole lot i dont think)

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
oh and when i teach I do not rant about heart rates throughout the class because it is so individualized for everyone... if you are serious about target heart rate training I suggest working out a program with a professional and taking it on the road.. or the dirt.

Just my 2 cents. Love the fact that I am always learning here at RM:D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by JOJO
Thanks MBC I am gonna get myself that book asap! and I agree that the Max heart rate formula is not accurate for everyone. It is a general formula used for the population as a whole but in order to find your accurate max heart rate you would have to have a Stress Test performed almost always by a physician....this takes time and some money (not a whole lot i dont think)
A stress test measures max HR? They're offering those for free at my gym. I've been avoiding it because I just thought it was a "postal indicator," a test to measure how stressed I was.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
That books looks good, I'll have to pick it up. So JOJO a physician is the most accurate wat to go? Should I call my doctor and just ask for a stress test?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by JOJO
Yes, not accurate. According to it, my max is 193 when in reality it is 182.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Heidi

Yes, not accurate. According to it, my max is 193 when in reality it is 182.
Just curious Heidi how did you figure it out? I am wondering if there is any way to do it that is more accurate and does not involve a stress test... ? :)

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
That books looks good, I'll have to pick it up. So JOJO a physician is the most accurate wat to go? Should I call my doctor and just ask for a stress test?
As far as I know yes..

btw.. Scotty I am sorry I have not responded to your PM yet I have not had a computer ..I will make sure to do it today because this is my last day of internet at home..:( boo hoo

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator

yea how did you get that number?
There are a couple ways, try all or some of them and see what you get:

1. Find a 1000 meter or half mile distance that is flat and withoug obstructions. Warm up and then sprint the distance AS HARD as tou can at full speed. Do this two times and take the hire of the two.

2. Select a hill that will take you about 1 min to "sprint" to the top. Do three all-out sprints to the top with very little rest in between. Use the highest # you see on your HRM.

3. On a trainer, comfortably spin at 20-130 rpm until you are ready to begin the test. Hold your cadence steady and slowly increase resistance every 15 seconds. Carefully control the resistance so that HR increase five beats every 15 sec. Do this until you can't increase it any more. A typical test will last between 2 and 4 minutres. You'll be able to hold your maximum for between 5 and 30 seconds before you reach exhaustion.

I did #3.