Quantcast

Camp stoves

I have been using a Coleman two burner propane stove for camping out of my van and noticed that a neoprene washer has cracked on the part that screws onto a fuel bottle. Got the model number off the stove (5435C700), went to the Coleman web site, and found that they do not offer spare parts, fuck you Coleman.

I then found oldcolemanparts.com, who has the part I want, but their SSL certificate's invalid and I ain't gonna. I sent them email, we'll see what happens.

This got me thinking about maybe buying a new stove. What have you used, what do you like and dislike about it?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lots of good stuff on the market these days. depends on your specific needs.

i know a number of guys who have jetboil systems and they all seem very happy with them.

i have a biolite stove which i like a lot. i've also made a penny stove which i like and works well, but i'm in the process of making a larger one (to hold more fuel for longer run time).

then of course there's MSR whisperlites.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It amazes me how adaptable JBP is. Using propane powered stoves today even though he grew up in a time before man harnessed the flame.

I am looking at picking up this guy.

When compared to the coleman offerings (in person at REI) this unit is smaller (when packed up, yet still seems to have enough cooking surface to be comparable), yet has higher BTU per burner and reviews claim it to have slightly better flame control than the coleman.

http://www.campchef.com/everest-high-pressure-two-burner-stove.html
It got the best review in http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Stove-Reviews (thanks, Mr. Crabby, AKA @jonKranked).

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I 2nd Mcmaster, or have you tried an auto parts store? Tell them you need a fuel resistant gasket or o-ring of xxx dimension and see what they can cough up. Try a goodwill or salvation army, or even a used sporting goods place. Two burner Coleman stoves can be had for a song around here. We picked one up from a used sporting goods place here couple years back and just chose the best one out of almost a dozen stoves and payed 20 bucks for it. Pick one or two up for cheap = tons of spare parts.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
http://gearpatrol.com/2014/09/19/how-to-make-a-beer-can-camp-stove/

Beer Can Stove? I have an old Whisperlite we plan to use for our upcoming trips that is pretty good, but have friends who did the PCT and CDT with the beer can stove.

Saw this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2L6Z74/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00P2L6Z74&linkCode=as2&tag=thyuli01-20&linkId=XX2CWQ6FBQ36KXBK with food suggestions, it looks slick!

Can I ask what water filters are used out there?

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
^^That was suggested in my office too--I have an old Katadyn and the filters are $84 to replace! :eek: I think I could get us each our own of those Sawyers for half that....

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
fun to read here about camping stuffs..my post is related to backpackning however.

I love MSR mini rocket (or something, the smallest available from them) Whisperlite? Too much preparatory and fluid on hands. I dont see how to recommend it unless you are in Antarctica.

Funny that I recently talked with a friend about Sawyer..It is a must to have. Millions litres.. yikes..

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
fun to read here about camping stuffs..my post is related to backpackning however.

I love MSR mini rocket (or something, the smallest available from them) Whisperlite? Too much preparatory and fluid on hands. I dont see how to recommend it unless you are in Antarctica.
Prep made easy on a Whisperlite:

Canister stoves: not a fan. Canisters are bulky and heavy.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
I dont think fuel bottles are light neither. A bit of waste of fluid here and there. For 1 litre gas canister, it lasts one month of 1-2 meals/day. Windboiler/Jetboil are likely more efficient there. I could fit 500ml canister inside 750ml Ti-pot together with stove.

For ultra-weight option, alcohol stove (refittable to wood, Esbit burning) looks good!

P.S. I forgot to mention that Vaponic (portable vaporizer) needs a gas canister for optimal pleasure :D

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I dont think fuel bottles are light neither. A bit of waste of fluid here and there. For 1 litre gas canister, it lasts one month of 1-2 meals/day. Windboiler/Jetboil are likely more efficient there. I could fit 500ml canister inside 750ml Ti-pot together with stove.

For ultra-weight option, alcohol stove (refittable to wood, Esbit burning) looks good!

P.S. I forgot to mention that Vaponic (portable vaporizer) needs a gas canister for optimal pleasure :D
The nice thing about fuel bottles is that they can be filled according to how long you will be out. That and they are re-usable.

Is there a good way to measure how much fuel is left in one of those canisters? If not - don't you have to carry *two* when you're getting low? Or do you just toss the ones that are suspected to be low?

Like I said - not a fan of the canister stoves. They *ARE* convenient, though - that's worth something...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a gallon of Kmart White gas. It is over 10 years old. My stove was bought at a garage sale. Big green Colman thing. Every time i light that bitch up something good happens. Pancakes, biscuits, whatever.....

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
The nice thing about fuel bottles is that they can be filled according to how long you will be out. That and they are re-usable.

Is there a good way to measure how much fuel is left in one of those canisters? If not - don't you have to carry *two* when you're getting low? Or do you just toss the ones that are suspected to be low?

Like I said - not a fan of the canister stoves. They *ARE* convenient, though - that's worth something...
Yeah, the convenience is what convinced me.. after dealing with the whisperlite I and a friend bought together. Gas canister gives Instant light-up gas stove from start, 1-2-3 seconds, then fire, Voila! I prefer forget all this about whisperlite, it was such nightmare though some users may have some tricks to ease up the preparation and all.

Yes, disadvantages such as recycling and not knowing much gas the canister can give. I thought about measuring weight on scale, i didn't try that. Generally for long trip (a few weeks), I buy a new. But for a day, no biggie, in worst case, find some wood to make up a fire which is pretty nice, doesnt it :D

Last edited:

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I have this one that is a burner that screws into the top of the canister. It is probably one of the most lightweight since there is not a separate base, but it is a little wobbly, so the hubby doesn't want to take it. I always liked it for ski lot camping though!