Quantcast

Campagnolo To Release 11 Speed Groupset?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Friday 30th May 2008 - Ben Wilson

If a 2009 brochure page leaked on weightweenies.com is to be believed, Campagnolo has added another sprocket to its cassettes to take them up to 11 speed.

With Shimano in the final stages of testing it's prototype Dura Ace electronic groupset, and with a new prototype mechanical groupset being spotted on pro bikes, Campagnolo has been quiet save for the few test riders using its developmental electronic groupset.

But it seems the Italian company has now stolen a march on Shimano yet again and beaten them to market with a new groupset that includes that all important extra gear.

The spec sheet for the 2009 Bora Ultra II wheelset confirms that it will be 9 / 10 and all importantly 11 speed compatible. This makes us think that in the great tradition of Campagnolo, there is backward compatibility with existing cassette bodies being used...more

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
thats cool, but I don't really think I need an extra gear.......of course, I was happy with nine gears :)

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I still am happy with nine gears. Maybe if I hold out long enough I'll be able to jump straight to 11.

edit: assuming Shimano is still a few years out with the 11th speed thing

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Finally.

Some little birdies have said something about Di2 moving down the Shimano tech lineup in the coming years...affordable electronic shifting pleez!

Now the question remains: How far along has SRAM come with their efforts?
Last thing I read was announcement at the Tour regarding SRAM. I am sure they would like to roll it out as soon as possible.

The Dogma :rant: