Quantcast

Campagnolo vs. Shimano

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok so my Giant TCR 2 frame was cracked, it's getting replaced now, so I think now is also the time to replace most of the components. Everything is dead basically so.... I wondering what the difference is between shimano and campi :rolleyes: if I go with shimano it would be Ultegra if I go with campi what would it be?......Also can I have 9 speed shimano ultegra hubs is there a way I can use campi on that?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
People say that Ultegra is somewhat equal to Centaur.

Campy can be repaired easier than shimano, I've heard.

The big thing, IMO, is the STI... I didn't care for how Campy feels. If you can test ride a campy bike, do so. Unless you don't ride the hoods, then I suppose it doesn't matter.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
LordOpie said:

The big thing, IMO, is the STI... I didn't care for how Campy feels. If you can test ride a campy bike, do so. Unless you don't ride the hoods, then I suppose it doesn't matter.
Don;t know anyone with Campy, I think I may just stick with Shimi Ultegra for now, cause I can;t get anyhing cheaper than 9 spd Ultegra at the moment it would seem. Also everything seems to be going over to 10spd do you think I'll be safe with 9 speed for a few years? Mainly chain changing.....I should be fine seeing as mountain bikes are sticking with 9 spd for now it seems...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
JMAC said:
...do you think I'll be safe with 9 speed for a few years? Mainly chain changing.....I should be fine seeing as mountain bikes are sticking with 9 spd for now it seems...
as long as there's a market, someone will make it. SRAM, wipperman...

besides, I bet Sora will go 9-spd.

in my thread, there's a discussion of Campy, go check it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
9 Speed chains will be around for a long while. I wouldn't worry about that.

Things you might want to consider about campy vs. shimano: Shimano parts are definitely more available for both small parts and big things. Campy parts are easier to rebuild and replace the components of. Same goes for tools (BB tools and the like) that might be specific to Campy. A lot of times, with Shimano, if you break a small part, it's a huge hassle to fix it or you can't at all. Campy is a bit better in this area. I think Campy still uses square taper on cranks. Campy cassette splines are different than shimano so you will have to get a new rear hub or wheel. The shifting and braking feel is quite a bit different on each. For the most part, I think that Shimano is a better value as well. Ultegra like Veloce? Maybe. But, if you ask me, 105 is awesome as it is so who cares? I run Ultegra on my CX bike and those parts are on their second frame and are at least 5 years old. I'vre replaced the cassette, chain and a few tiny parts but nothing big has broken or worn out ever. I am happy. Why switch?

Personally, I just go Shimano. I like Campy simply because of its history and looks but, for the most part, I like the feel of Shimano parts better and I like the shifting method better. I also never felt like Campy brake levers ever had a solid feel. They always felt cheap and flimsy to me when braking. This is not based on extensive experience, however. Mostly just short rides in the shop parking lot.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
JMAC said:
Also can I have 9 speed shimano ultegra hubs is there a way I can use campi on that?

American classic makes campy compatible cassettes that will fit on a shimano freehub.

They only have 10sp campy cassettes listed on their site, but I bet you could find a 9sp somewhere.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Alright well thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to go with 9spd Ultegra, I had no probs with my 105 stuff it's lasted a long time considering the distances it has gone. Plus I'm ordering the stuff from Excel so thats why I had the idea of campy but when I break something and need a quik fix at my LBS they never ever have campy and it's very expensive for him to get. :nopity:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:

Ultegra 9 is considered to be Veloce quality. Ultegra 10 is considered Centaur.

It is an old battle, but try them both. I use D/A, the rest of the Campy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
and 105 is Mirage? I don't think so.
Hey, I raced on 105 for an entire season, and I pretty much toasted it. Do you think Mirage would hold up better?

If this means anything, the 105 Bianchi Imola is priced at $1400, while the Mirage Eros (same frame and fork) is $1300.

I will concede any argument that Centaur will hold better than Ultegra and Veloce probably better than old Ultegra. I suppose with the shifter rebuild, these groups are more durable than new Ultegra.

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
Anybody see the Bicycling about the Campy cult?

How many people get Shimano tattoos?

I liked the story about the guy riding in NY city, had a problem with his rear der., a shimano, and a homeless guy walks by and says," Always go with Campy."

This shouldn't even be a debate, I hate the cables that stick out, the one click for one gear (Campy you can do multiple gear shifts, just hold the lever longer).

I'll end my 2 cent rant with this:
Shimano breaks, Campagnolo breaks in!

-Dan

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Arm On Fire said:

I liked the story about the guy riding in NY city, had a problem with his rear der., a shimano, and a homeless guy walks by and says," Always go with Campy."

This shouldn't even be a debate, I hate the cables that stick out, the one click for one gear (Campy you can do multiple gear shifts, just hold the lever longer).

I'll end my 2 cent rant with this:
Shimano breaks, Campagnolo breaks in!

-Dan
Yeah I read that Bicycling mag with the tatooed guy......I still can;t find where I put that magazine though....
Only reason I'm going to get Shimano is cause it's going to be easier to get replacements I think...where I live that is.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Arm On Fire said:

Both are just tools to get the job done. Being evangelical about either is absurd.

Arm On Fire said:
I hate the cables that stick out...
subjective and therefore irrelevant.

Arm On Fire said:
the one click for one gear (Campy you can do multiple gear shifts, just hold the lever longer).
most cyclists don't care, but as been pointed out, you can shift up three bigger cogs in one throw.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have spent many, many thousands of $$ on bicyles and bicycle parts.

I have had first generation Dura Ace which was simply pantogrammed 600, that was about 1981. I don't remember anything special about it other than the graphics.

In 1984 I bought a Univega Competition frame and chose the Suntour Superbe Pro level kit because it was $760.00 versus a little over $900.00 - I still run this bike about 500 miles a year and everything is original including the chain and hub bearings. OK that is a lie - it has replacement brake lever because I damaged one in a crash about 4 years ago.

Then I got a 1991 Serotta which came with Dura Ace; the last gereration with indexed DT shifters. I went STI in 95 or 96 and chose a mix of DA and Ultegra - I kept having trouble with rattle in the levers and an occaisional failure to shift when the right lever would just jam up. I was talked into giving up the Ultegra levers for 1999 Dura Ace - at the time I upgraged from 8 to 9 speeds. In a very short time I again had the EXACT same trouble with the right shifter... it happened less frequently and never in shop conditions. Eventully some small pin snapped and the entire lever just flopped around from side to side maybe a 1/4". Shimano warranteed it without problem and I sold the replacement on eBay because....

In 2002 I rebuilt my Serotta from the ground up with straight Campagnolo Chorus. I can say without a doubt that the group is superior to anything I have ever owned before - time will tell how durable it turns out to be.

The most trouble free group I have ever run was the Superbe Pro - easily the most underrated component group in recent memory.

J

JRB

I would buy a Campy tshirt over Shimano because the logo is cooler. That is why no one has Shimano tatoos. The fact of the matter, they will all ride about the same. If you can work on a shifter, great. If you have my local shop, you may as well use disposable parts. If Campy parts are expensive to rebuild because the shop doesn't carry any parts, you may as well have Shimano. It is easier to get. A long time ago I had Campy down tube shifters on a Bianchi. I wasn't any more impressed than I have been with Shimano. I do hate the shifter rattle you get sometimes, but I have always been able to stop it with a little effort.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, since someone else started it...

I worked for a Campy wholesaler back in the day of Super Record. All the parts were kept in a special room, and we had all the spares, the proof of a true pro shop. Campy was something very special then.

There was better shifting derailleurs (namely Superbe Pro), but the Campy Nazis insisted proper shifting was push the lever forward, then slightly back.

Later Campy introduced the Delta brake, which was like a precision Swiss clock except it was heavy and worked poorly. But it was Campy, so people put them on their bikes.

And they also did a whiz bang job with Euclid too.

20 years later, I see the clunk-shifting, plastic (excuse me, carbon) parts, and a tapered spindle. I don't see the engraving or the fluting which made Campy something special.

I am not a flag waving Shimano man. I acknowledge Shimano's disposable nature. But Shimano has been relatively consistent with their improvements, being leaders in SIS, dual-pivot, STI, slant parallelogram, and of course mountain biking. (BTW, don't write that half these things Shimano adopted, not invented. I know that already).

Even their new D/A group has tweaks which is innovative, not just variations on an old theme. The outboard BB, ergonomic brake hood, even the ugly crankset are different.

I have an unique perspective. I grew on Campy, but when I started to be an apologist, I decided to go with something else.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Serial Midget said:
The most trouble free group I have ever run was the Superbe Pro - easily the most underrated component group in recent memory.
I had a six speed set up of Superbe Pro on my Benotto originally, and it was great.

Having a frame built by Richard Sachs and painted by Joe Bell would be incredible.

What's the price range on a Richard Sachs custom frame anyway?

splat

Nam I am
OK I'll Put my 2 cents. I have been riding everything in creation , Suntour , Shimano , campy, Huret , etc. And Right now I have been running Campy Veloce 8 speed, for the last couple years after 10 plus of Ultegra. and My Cyclocross has 105 on it.

that said right now I Prefer campy . why ?

- I like the feel of the shifting , it has a crisper feel.
- the platorm for you hands on the Hoods , Much more comfortable on the long rides.
- cable routing , just looks better.
- Micro adjust on the front derailer ( only 2 up front ! the way it should be on a road bike )
and being a long time cyclist , well campy is CAMPY !!

What i dis like about the campy .
- I constaly ( while riding ) have to make adjustments to the front derailer.
- The centering on the brakes, doesn';t stay centered , I constaly have to re adjust that.

any one else ever ride a bike with a Huret derailer ? and if anybody needs a set of Suntour 6 speed bar ends ! I've got them !