Quantcast

Campers

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
When I first started looking at trucks it quickly became obvious that diesel was the way to go. I doubt Sprinters are as bad as step vans, but a gas step van gets about 8mpg on a good day. My 4bt is stupid simple and gets 16mpg.
What year is your 4bt though?

EGR, SCR, and DPF can be gigantic PITA, expensive to repair, and hard to find someone competent to work on. I'm on team, don't buy a modern diesel unless you absolutely need a modern diesel, as the long term cost will likely offset any differences in efficiency or longevity.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What year is your 4bt though?

EGR, SCR, and DPF can be gigantic PITA, expensive to repair, and hard to find someone competent to work on. I'm on team, don't buy a modern diesel unless you absolutely need a modern diesel, as the long term cost will likely offset any differences in efficiency or longevity.
With you also. Those diesel Sprinter vans need to be driven often and work hard. Most people that have major problems with their vans are the RV/Vanlife crowd. I luckily live in a place where they do not smog test for registration. Moral dilemma aside, my deleted Sprinter does 18-20mpg and no check engine or major problems since doing delete 7 years ago. Under warranty dealer put in $12k in repairs (all emission related) in one year on a really low mileage van.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
With you also. Those diesel Sprinter vans need to be driven often and work hard. Most people that have major problems with their vans are the RV/Vanlife crowd. I luckily live in a place where they do not smog test for registration. Moral dilemma aside, my deleted Sprinter does 18-20mpg and no check engine or major problems since doing delete 7 years ago. Under warranty dealer put in $12k in repairs (all emission related) in one year on a really low mileage van.
Unfortunately, deleting isn't a reality where I live and even if it was, the EPA has made a concerted effort to shut down anyone offering the means to do so. Best bet is to keep it stock, drive it hard, and pray to your entity of choice for a favorable outcome.

I'd contend that diesel engines, in their current incarnation, don't make sense for anything other than one ton pickups and above. And even then, the value proposition has led a lot of fleet managers to shift away from diesel into gas.

Who cares if the motor itself can deliver 1,000 ft*lbs of torque and last 300K miles when the multitude of peripherals bolted to it are way more likely to fail and cost just as much as a replacement gas engine when they do?

My truck just did a regen on the highway this morning, so I was acutely reminded of what my future holds.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Doc Heller said:
Wait! You have a Herkimer Battle Jitney? That's the finest nonlethal military vehicle ever made!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
can modern gas engines really not do those things? SAE testing and all.

Super Dutys with the 7.3L can tow 20k, iirc. unless you're somehow towing a 30k gooseneck routinely...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Super Dutys with the 7.3L can tow 20k, iirc. unless you're somehow towing a 30k gooseneck routinely...
It's all about low end torque for getting started and or pulling steep hills with a diesel. Also at slow speeds the diesel doesn't generate the engine heat that a gas engine does. You can crawl up a steep hill with a load and not overheat even with the ac blasting, Think I80 east bound out of SLC with 5000 pounds in the bed and 7000 in tow I can hold 65 all the way to the top with the AC on with the aerodynamics of a brick

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If any vehicle is overheating, it simply has a poorly designed cooling system.

Diesel engines generally also have higher compression ratios, so they actually run a little hotter than gas engines.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Modern gassers are fine, maybe better due to lower initial cost, lower fuel cost and no diesel emissions tomfoolery. Would 100% buy a Superduty with a Godzilla if I were in the market for a big truck.

The monster tow ratings on new trucks are at least partially due to the fact that they’re finally putting the correct size radiators in them to keep them cool under heavy lead. Helps on emissions when not loaded down as well.

Diesel are dying out, fleet sales are going gas more and more, and soon enough they’ll be going hybrid gas. That will kill diesel development and they’ll be a thing of the past

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

gonefirefightin

free wieners
That isn't a terrible price if it's turn key ready. Considering what I did with Frita for under $30k, I could do a lot with $44k. @gonefirefightin was talking $100k for his next build, so I'm looking forward to that.
Found a model that will work already

kind of the direction i will go with the build

1695912615964.png

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
That isn't a terrible price if it's turn key ready. Considering what I did with Frita for under $30k, I could do a lot with $44k. @gonefirefightin was talking $100k for his next build, so I'm looking forward to that.
Found a model that will work already

kind of the direction i will go with the build

View attachment 201165
I was 50/50 myself.
the truck i posted needed finishing....i think mostly to do with heating...

i heard the stewiestevies can be finnicky as fuck....but probably no more than a unimog...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
the truck i posted needed finishing....i think mostly to do with heating...

i heard the stewiestevies can be finnicky as fuck....but probably no more than a unimog...
Considering the amount of time I've had in them and working on them overseas and in training they are pretty bomber if you just do the maintenance, right now all that is available to the public is the A0, A1, and A1R models that essentially come with either a 3126 cat or a C7 which are both solid engines, one is mechanical and the other is electronic but the tier 3 emissions are removable on these trucks so you dont have to deal with power losses other EPA related issues.

Ive done enough to break them personally with twice the load and hard flogging in the streets of Iraq and they just kept working. I've seen more unimogs broken on the trails than on the roads.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Will be able to add a couple feet to the front of the habitat space by some mods

IMG_2569.jpeg

the air cleaner, intake, spare tire, spare tire crane and some hydraulics are all in the yellow shaded portion of stock trucks

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.png

By removing some non structural components, moving the spare, lowering the hydraulic controls and fabbing up a new intake with slim line air cleaners I can add several feet to the habitat box and even add some storage

1696264622203.png

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Well, anyone that own a white Sprinter knows abouts this procedure. My van is actually not bad for 11 years old.

received_863721848281265.jpeg
received_1327949617824084.jpeg

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I ain’t friends with no squirrel!!!!

at least not right now.

it’s a family member’s wedding, otherwise I wouldn’t go and wouldn’t be invited anyways. I would go to squirrel wedding if I was invited unless it’s a ground squirrel wedding and then I’m going to kill them all.