Quantcast

Camping at Diablo

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Not sure if they allow camping at diablo similar to camping in the parking lot at platty...does anyone know? or is there a campgroud close we could bring a pop up camper to? The funny thing is our crew only lives around 45 min away tops but for opening weekend we wanted to make it a good time. Having a camper and grill and stuff in the lot would make for a good time. any info or insight is appreciated.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
i dont think they allow camping.

"Due to township zoning laws there is no onsite camping available at Mountain Creek Resort. Camping facilities listed below are in close proximity to the venue. It is highly recommended that you make reservations in advance." taken from their site on the US open page. dude 45 minutes is nothing, i'm 2.5 hours.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Not sure if they allow camping at diablo similar to camping in the parking lot at platty...does anyone know? or is there a campgroud close we could bring a pop up camper to? The funny thing is our crew only lives around 45 min away tops but for opening weekend we wanted to make it a good time. Having a camper and grill and stuff in the lot would make for a good time. any info or insight is appreciated.
Camping is forbidden on or near Diablo.

Black Bears are coming out of hibernation around this time of year, and are looking for food after not eating for 6 months.

If their meal is laying on a grill, or standing upright wearing a pair of Nikes - the bear doesn't care. Both are delicious.

Their smelling ability is extremely good. The limits are untested, but their nasal mucosa area is about 100 times larger than in humans.

KEEP FOOD AND DRINK OFF THE MOUNTAIN.

That way, the rest of us won't die.

crashdwn22

Chimp
Jan 3, 2007
how sick would it be to be comin around some tight turn and a bear just clotheslines you off your bike. oh, and by sick i mean sick to other people but horribly deadly to you. and while black bears are pussies (as evidenced by this photograph)

they will still eat you

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
NJ actually has one of the highest concentrations of bears in the country. It's not something I'd actually worry about unless you're camping. Then you just have to do the right things with your food after eating and you'll be fine.

Don't let SKC scare you too much.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I'm not trying to scare anybody.

I'm just trying to spread awareness of the surroundings we ride in. I'd hate to have someone operating under the assumption that Black Bears are harmless and wind up doing something wrong to provoke an attack.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'm not trying to scare anybody.

I'm just trying to spread awareness of the surroundings we ride in. I'd hate to have someone operating under the assumption that Black Bears are harmless and wind up doing something wrong to provoke an attack.
I tried to edit my post with a smilie before, but couldn't do it right; I know you're not trying to scare people, but it might (even subconsciously for some people) have had that effect.

I just want people to keep in mind that the chances of getting attacked by or even seeing a black bear (and, yes, I have seen them at Diablo and in my back yard, among other places) are pretty small. I spend lots of time outdoors riding, hiking, backpacking and camping and I find that lots of people are actually scared of animals attacking them or something. This is not something people should be scared about most of the time. Simple preventative measures, knowing the basic facts and not being an idiot are 99% of them game for not having a bear eat you.