Quantcast

camping/riding level at snowshoe

doublez

Chimp
Apr 12, 2006
Massnautten, Va
First off me and a bud were going to head out to west va to hit up snowshoe before classes are back in. I am a good rider but he is a beginner. Is there going to be trails for him to ride? Secondly is there any place to just camp for the night?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
the beginner i took there left with broken bones but the crash was on one of the fireroads so i cant blame the terrain too much. . . just the huge gaping ditches they leave lying around.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
doublez said:
First off me and a bud were going to head out to west va to hit up snowshoe before classes are back in. I am a good rider but he is a beginner. Is there going to be trails for him to ride? Secondly is there any place to just camp for the night?
On the basin side, start him off on trail D. When the fireroad makes the curve back to the left and links into the lower trails, after A, B and C, keep going straight and D will be on the left.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Even at speed, those are pretty easy to spot. But, I do see issues with some of the green boards that span some of those little ditches, I've seen bolts sticking out of those a few times that the tires and rims don't approve rolling over.

doublez

Chimp
Apr 12, 2006
Massnautten, Va
sweet thanks guys, we will look into those trials for him. am i going to be bored riding those trails or are they still enjoyable for more advanced riders.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Jayridesacove said:
that's why you jump them

It was actually a ditch running alongside the trail. He washed out of one of the loose switchbacks cause he was hot dogging it on the last run of the day. He went sideways into this thing and it was a couple feet deep, pitched him off into the woods.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
doublez said:
sweet thanks guys, we will look into those trials for him. am i going to be bored riding those trails or are they still enjoyable for more advanced riders.
Those will be good warm up trails, and there's some easier ones on the far, far left looking down aswell. Good times!

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
yea, from the lift, you got a few choices, go down on the right, or head left and ride a little ways, heading towards the monster park area and ride trails along there.

once your friend feels comfortable, take him on the western side for some longer runs.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
The western slope does have XC trails that can be handled on a cross country full suspension bike. There was a group of bikers shuttling those trails this past weekend. These are not easy trails, the more suspension you've got the better. The shuttle is a bus with bike trailer, the lift only operates on that side of the mountain on race weekends.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Jayridesacove said:
yea, from the lift, you got a few choices, go down on the right, or head left and ride a little ways, heading towards the monster park area and ride trails along there.

once your friend feels comfortable, take him on the western side for some longer runs.
Definitely a good place to warm up.