Quantcast

Can anyone help a newbie out?

Feb 24, 2005
Whitehall, Montana
Well, thanks to anyone who answers this in advance =).
I'v been out of bikes for about two years now. I only ever worked with street bikes aKa BMX.
I'm looking to get into urban riding and singletrack as well as downhill.
I am 5'8" and I weigh 160 pounds.
I'm looking for a bike in the $600-$900 range. Used or new, as long as it is in good, running condition=). I looked at some Haro DH bikes today and I always liked the way Haro bikes felt back when I rode BMX.

I have no clue as to what kind of equipment I will be needing on the bike. All of my various 4-wheeler gear should be great for safety gear I assume =).

Hopefully everyone can help me out =). Thanks! Farewell, God bless. ~Tragic

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
well, you can get a good used hard tail for around that price, but the haro mtbs dont ride the bmxs, and some people say they are undependable.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Also Haro bikes are weak end of the mountain bikes, similar to Diamonback and now GT.

Coming from a BMX background, I figure a hardtail would suit you the best. I have a soft spot for Norco. I own a 2001 Torrent with 5 inches of travel. Move up to a 6 incher, and you have alot.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
sanjuro said:
Also Haro bikes are weak end of the mountain bikes, similar to Diamonback and now GT.

Coming from a BMX background, I figure a hardtail would suit you the best. I have a soft spot for Norco. I own a 2001 Torrent with 5 inches of travel. Move up to a 6 incher, and you have alot.
I disagree. Haro has some excellent bikes out right now. The Werx series (Werx 7) for DH and the Extreme series (X3) for FR are both VERY capable bikes. The Escape 8.3 is a solid DJer as well. I've ridden them all and have been impressed not only by Haro's parts spec at their respective pricepoints, but by the solid, tried and tested design for each.

But....with that being said...I do agree that in that price range, a Norco Shore style hardtail would be my choice as well.

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
Yeah, i would say a hartail (I spelled it right for once) would feel more bmxish and more in the price range than a dually, consider a P1 or a P2 if you want the front brake and gears, a haro is a great bike too, but the P series feel more like a bmx bikes- but the haro would probably be better for singletrack and dh riding as oppose to the P2

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
Check out Kona dirt jumping hardtails or the Norco hardtails. One of these burly boys will serve you well for now. Then you'll get addicted and buy a $2000+ DH/Freeride rig and have a nice hardtail as your second ride.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
McGRP01 said:
I disagree. Haro has some excellent bikes out right now. The Werx series (Werx 7) for DH and the Extreme series (X3) for FR are both VERY capable bikes. The Escape 8.3 is a solid DJer as well. I've ridden them all and have been impressed not only by Haro's parts spec at their respective pricepoints, but by the solid, tried and tested design for each.

But....with that being said...I do agree that in that price range, a Norco Shore style hardtail would be my choice as well.
This is strictly perception, but the Haro's I see are the low end ones, typically purchased from the local Copeland's.

I describe bikes like this and Diamondback as "Parts Hangers". They have a nice component spec, but the frames are so-so in quality/design.

Frankly, there is no rocket science to making a hardtail. Their single pivot flexy compared to C/Dale and SC. I'm sure bikes will hold up adequately, but there is better bikes out there.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I picked up a Haro escape 8.2 for $800 and slapped a Marzocchi Z1FR drop-off II on it (5" of travel) and it works like a dream for dry, loose-ish and rocky trailriding. I have not done any jumping, but it feels solid on drops and is generally predictable on the street. I really like it, the frame is pretty stiff and so are the 31.8 bars, although I somehow managed to slightly bend the drive-side FSA crank.
Make sure you get a decent fork . . . the Marzocchi EXR that came with the bike was flexy and really soft. Have fun :thumb: