Quantcast

Can you help out a new Roadie?

smcmurds

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a new road bike (I am getting a guy to build me one, and I am trading him my backcountry skiis for it) and I was wondering if you could provide me with some information on whether or not I am getting a good deal. My ski setup would be worth around 600-700, and I was wondering if the bike would be similar in value. Thanks for any help.

here's what's together so far:

kona kapu frame, from the late 90s - great handling frame, light and stiff.
unknown brand crabon fork (1" threaded)
shimano ultegra headset
shimano ultegra brakes, also have a pair of 105s - i have a pair of 105 levers and a pair of tektro levers, you can have your pick
shimano 600 cranks
shimano ultegra 600 hubs - that may need to be rebuilt as wheels, i'm not excited about the condition of the rims
shimano 105 front and rear derailleurs
truvativ team seatpost
selle italia trans am saddle, but i have a few others
nitto stem, or a suntour or sakae one - depends on what length you'd like
i have a few handlesbars of different widths
seca tires 700 by 23

ojaiDH

Chimp
Jun 20, 2009
dream land
Don't do it! that's not a good deal. for that kind of money you can get a low level modern bike that will be 10x better! frame is crap, fork is crap, tektro is crap. run! run, run, run!!!

FBinNY

Chimp
Jul 15, 2009
I agree with the others. $700.00 buys a hell of a lot road bike these days, and you're far better off with current product since parts support for older stuff tends to be short-lived.

Before you make this deal, do the due diligence of shopping around and see what all your options are.