Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Bacon, Root Beer, Loco Sucks, Try it Nao

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I do think your larger point still stands.....

brakeless bmx weirdos > any mountain biker ever
Long time ago when I lived in Asheville there was a local bmx'r who would show up after the annual street comp was over, brakeless, no helmet and completely demolish everything some top mountain bike pros made look cool. He would pull massive no handed back flips at ridiculous speeds on his 20". He'd hit the jumps with way more height than the dudes competing. Never entered a comp, always poached it at the end.

BMX is and always has been so far ahead of freestyle MTB its not even funny. every now and then i still check the come up to see the latest insanity.

disclaimer: the only mtb dudes that are even coming CLOSE to bmx stuff is the guys in the FEST series, but that's only in terms of jump size.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
got drunk
:stop:
Knocked myself out cold from manualling drunk in Glasgow city centre.
Over a decade ago now and I've never actually recalled doing it. But from the slope I was found lying at the bottom of and where I hit my head I know for sure a failed manual 'd a been the reason. Manualled that slope fine on the way home from work pretty much every day.
:oops:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Going to pretty much any BMX spot will knock you down a few pegs on the MTB. It's definitely easier to learn to manual on one. I was riding Vans park twice a week for a few months and was getting better quickly, along with nose manuals, but they definitely feel way different on a BMX than a MTB.

One dude I ride occasionally can manual for days, he'll go all the way down the road at Mammoth from the bottom of Shotgun back to the Village.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Got a couple of buddies into riding about a year or 2 ago, and now both can wheelie indefinitely and are learning nac nacs, no handers, and various other tricks that I can't do. It sucks.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Got a couple of buddies into riding about a year or 2 ago, and now both can wheelie indefinitely and are learning nac nacs, no handers, and various other tricks that I can't do. It sucks.

Yup, don't have kids either.
They tend to pass you in ability.
I think it is because they pretty much have no fear - ah the perceived indestructibility of youth.
Some of my crew and I were coaching my boy on some double black stuff. By the end of the day he was riding it cleaner than any of us have in years. :panic:

Sometimes I hate that kid :D

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
You and I have to have met. I definitely know your wife. I remember dudes scared to race her in slalom because they knew they'd get beat. :rofl:

But yeah the thin man is doing well with all tumors long gone. I'll certainly tell him howdy for you. He's still teaching at squaw these days.
I was the drunk redneck from Tennessee if that helps. :)

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
I practiced one fall, every day to and from work. Wheelies on the uphill a and manuals on the flat / down. After about 3 weeks I was able to start to hold them

Addicted ever since. The best is manualling through consecutive roots on the trail or brake bump sections in the bike park. It's magic

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I tried that, except I had Avid brakes at the time, which often came straight to the bar when the bike was tipped in the incline direction (including that time).

This is why I have trust issues.
I remember my Saints causing a mate to flip out because he wasn't aware they needed to be pumped up to have a bite point before the lever hit the grip

Karma bit me for that one when I crashed riding a Canadian mate's V10 in the street when I tried to manual/wheelie and realised too late his brakes weren't moto style...

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
High bars, heavy springs, very slow rebound and lots of compression make manuals on an mtb a lot easier.
Damn Ben, that second clip you posted you were really cookin. are you on a 160mm bike? that might be the fastest manual I've seen on a mountain bike, that or Iggy on his DHR in Tahoe. And of course Bobby Root with the 65mph one in the OG New World Disorder

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
It's got around 160mm in the rear and a 170 mm fork. I use a 215mm i2i shock with a shock extender to reduce the travel on a Voltage FR.
Oh wow. I've quietly thought about something like that to myself but never gave much thought as to how it would be executed. so essentially it's letting you short stroke the frame without altering the geo? I assume you did this because no one makes a 240mm i2i shock with the ~63mm stroke the Voltage needs in order to get ~160mm? Couldn't you have had something custom made, so you could ditch the extender? I figured a guy like you, with access to the resources you have, would have had a custom bouncer made. I guess you are experimenting so much though that it's just more efficient and cost effective to whip up an extender and run that? Very cool and interesting stuff. Post a picture if you can