Quantcast

Canada BC: tips, must do's...?

Tbx

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Lummen, Belgium
Hy,

Me and a friend are going to Canada for 4 weeks.
We take off on august 15, here in Belgium.
We just bought a plane ticket and hired a car for the time we're there.
The last week of our holiday we propably gonna spend in Whistler.
But for the rest, we have no real plans.
Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Kamloops... these places we sure want to go.
So, does anyone has tips for us or know places/trails we should do???
We bring our bikes with us, I have a Big Hit and my friend has a Be One Woodbumble both with 2 chainrings so we can ride uphil too.
Trailriding , DH ... we like it all.
Does anyone know some secret trails, beautifull spots...???
Maybe some guys (or girls :) ) who wants to ride with us? Showing us
the beauty of Canada...

Let me know.

Grtz
Tbx

tbx@pandora.be

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Just check in with the local bike shops in Vancouver and the other BC towns you wil be visiting they will know where all the best riding spots will be etc.

Other than that, Whistler, Sun Peaks, Fernie, Kicking Horse and Mt. Washington are some of the major centers you could check out

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
4 weeks, eh? You guys are in for a real treat. If I had 4 weeks of biking vacation, here's how I'd do it:
Week1:
Arrive in Vancouver and rent a car (pickup truck is preferable, that way it is easy to hook up with other people when doing shuttle runs). Spend the first week doing local rides. You can start with Seymour mountain and do a few laps up there although I don't think I'd spend more than a day on seymour. Next, go and ride fromme and explore as many trails as possible (maps are can be purchased at most bike shops). Since climbing is required on Fromme, I'd probably spend a couple days on Fromme. Next stop is Cypress mountain and spend a day or two up there (shuttling of course). After riding 5 days in a row you might want to take a day off here since you'll be in BC for a while (No need to hurt yourself and ruin your trip because of fatigue).

Week2-3:
Pack your stuff and start heading to the interior. Here's how I'd do it.
Kamloops (ride Sun Peaks and many other local trails), Kelowna (Ride Gillard in Kelowna, a day trip to Siver Star in Vernon and a day trip to Penticton), Nelson and Rossland (go to the local bike shops and they'll show you around), Williams Lake (check out overlander hotel for good lodging and they'll show you the good stuff).

Week4:
Whistler

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Most Importantly:

Keep your bikes in your rooms when not in use...

Don't trust the "secure" storage facility, and don't leave them on top of the car on a roof rack overnight...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Forget Vancouver Island...nothing's happening here, OR nothing worth coming to the island for. You need to take a ferry that takes 1.5 hours to get to Vancouver Island (if they built a bridge it would be a 10min drive!). Focus your time on the mainland.

edit. Oh, and drink Alexander Keiths beer

Tbx

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Lummen, Belgium
S.K.C. said:
Most Importantly:

Keep your bikes in your rooms when not in use...

Don't trust the "secure" storage facility, and don't leave them on top of the car on a roof rack overnight...
Is it that unsafe?
Is it OK to leave them in the car or not?
We hired a Dodge Ram Van for the 4 weeks. Don't know where to sleep yet.¨
Propably on a campground, in the van or wathever :)
Maybe sometimes a motel or a hotel. We'll see.
One guy offerd us his house yet to spend a few nights so, it's going the
right way :)

Grtz
Tbx

Tbx

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Lummen, Belgium
ChrisRobin said:
Forget Vancouver Island...nothing's happening here, OR nothing worth coming to the island for. You need to take a ferry that takes 1.5 hours to get to Vancouver Island (if they built a bridge it would be a 10min drive!). Focus your time on the mainland.

edit. Oh, and drink Alexander Keiths beer
I heard Vancouver Island had some great trails, strange.

Grtz
Tbx

Registered

Chimp
Sep 10, 2003
Hey Tbx,

I'm planning to be in BC for 2 of the weeks you'll be there. However, my plans have been put on hold because I was lacking co-conspirators (riding buddies). I have several friends in Van, but none are major bikers. Although I'm not a local, I have done the North Van / Whistler thing before. I'd love to find some dudes to split the cost of a rental van / hostel / campgrounds and to ride with. And I've got a bit of an inside track on trails in Pemberton, Squamish, etc.

I should have thought about posting on RM. Maybe we could hook-up? Anyone else gonna be in the lower ML around then?

Edit - Oh yeah: Since you're Belgian, I'm sure sure you've got a keen appreciation for fine beer. I plan on doing a fair share of consumption - it is, afterall, a vacation!

Tbx

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Lummen, Belgium
Registered said:
Hey Tbx,

I'm planning to be in BC for 2 of the weeks you'll be there. However, my plans have been put on hold because I was lacking co-conspirators (riding buddies). I have several friends in Van, but none are major bikers. Although I'm not a local, I have done the North Van / Whistler thing before. I'd love to find some dudes to split the cost of a rental van / hostel / campgrounds and to ride with. And I've got a bit of an inside track on trails in Pemberton, Squamish, etc.

I should have thought about posting on RM. Maybe we could hook-up? Anyone else gonna be in the lower ML around then?

Edit - Oh yeah: Since you're Belgian, I'm sure sure you've got a keen appreciation for fine beer. I plan on doing a fair share of consumption - it is, afterall, a vacation!
Hey Registered,

That sounds nice.
We shure can spend some time together.
I'll mail you.

MEETING NEW PEOPLE AND RIDING NEW TRAILS IS WHERE IT'S ALL ABOUT.

Grtz
Tbx

Tbx

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Lummen, Belgium
PoserNewbie said:
I'm always in the lower mainland :D .

Just PM me when before you guys get here and I'll be glad to point you guys in the right direction.
Super, how can I contact you when we are there?
Where do you live?

@registered: I mailed you but haven"t heard anything back?

Grtz
Tbx

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
williams lake is a bit out of the way. if you do you should hit up PG i could show you around. nothin really "shore" spectacular up here but lots of stunts ranging from intermediate to expert. theres also tabor that just opened up. lift accessible and suitable for all skill levels. some good stuff up there but it still needs some work.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
highly recommended check out Silver Star (just out of Vernon)
very fun trails, quick, flowing,
hardly any stunts, but a few technical trails, a jump trail
2 excellent berm trails, you almost get dizzy on one of them
includes 2 wall rides: 75ft and 55 ft
you hit em at mach 1, sweetest feeling

very fun day

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
For stunning beautiful trails you HAVE to go to Rossland and Nelson area..... Pemberton (just north of Whistler) shouldn't be missed either.

I would definitely do an interior trip, going to Kamloops, Sunpeaks, Kelowna, Silver star and then through to Nelson/Rossland.

There's a few guides that you might be able to hook up with too, try Johnny Smoke at bushpilotguides.com (I think). He knows tonnes of great riding all over BC.

Tbx

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Lummen, Belgium
It's getting better and better.
I can hardly wait!!!

Who of you guys (and how) can I contact when we're in Canada.
To ride or have a beer or both ;)

Grtz
Tbx