Quantcast

Canadian Rockies riders? Anyone?

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Hey all! I live in Calgary and ride in the surrounds - Bragg Creek, Canmore, Banff, Kootenay etc. - almost anywhere within a reasonable drive, and I'm looking for people to ride with. I've been off a bike for a few years, so I'm pretty much starting out back at the bottom rung ability wise, but would love to find people of all abilities to hit the hills with. I have no doubt it'll all come back to me in a flood of recognition... Oh yes, I remember that muscle... ;)

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
I would love to get down to Fernie this summer. I've only ever spent time there in the winter, but I hear the mountain biking is fantastic. When I head down that way I'll definitely drop a line. It would be fun to ride with people that are more familiar with the area than I am. I've spent far more time in Kananaskis and Banff and it would be a nice change. Thanks for the reply:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I live about 5 hours from Calgary and go to the zoo about once a year with my little girl. Look me up if you want to head to Fernie. Fernie season passes are only $149 CAD right now. The local riding is great too.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Jou said:
I'm up in calgary every other year for the oil show...it's only 16 hours if you wanna drive down here though. ;)
16 hours huh? LOL. I think it's not going to be long before I have more road trips planned than I'll ever have time for;) I could be cursing the day I accidentally came across this site - nah, forget I ever said that:D

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Kanter said:
I live about 5 hours from Calgary and go to the zoo about once a year with my little girl. Look me up if you want to head to Fernie. Fernie season passes are only $149 CAD right now. The local riding is great too.
I definitely will! Like I said, I would really like to get down there this summer. Fernie's about 3 hours from me so it's a bit far for a day trip, but perfect for a weekend. I'll just throw all my camping gear in the car:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ahh we do 4-5 hour drives and only day trips. Leave at 5-6am and get home 10-11pm. Its a long day but lotta fun.

Check out the deals on Fernie's website. You can stay on the mountain and get 2 bike passes and one night for $99 and 4 passes and 2 nights for $139. Fernie resort is still undiscoved so its still cheap.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
I hear ya - lots of fun, but not so much if you're the only one in the car;) Those deals in Fernie sound pretty good. I'm not so sure it's as undiscovered as it was before RCR bought the ski hill, but in the summer I think you're right. Not as many people make the trip in the summer as in the winter for the skiing. Is there much for good riding in Waterton? I haven't been down that way since I was a kid, especially having so much other stuff a lot closer to where I live:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im not sure about Waterton. Fernie added a lot of trails last year and this year. Also, this year both chairs will run on the weekends.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Sounds like fun. I'm new to the DH thing but hopefully by mid summer I'll be ready to try some more challenging technical DH stuff. The appealing thing about hills with lifts is the not having to slog up:) You should try and make it further north to check out Kicking Horse if you get a chance. I know it kicks butt for snowboarding (lots of expert/advanced terrain), so it stands to reason that the summer DH riding would be the same. And they run lifts for bikers all summer too.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Kanter said:
Kicking Horse is a long trip. Panorama is a little closer.
Golden is only about an hour (I think?) from Invermere, so it's maybe worth checking out if you're up for a weekend. But for a day trip for you, you're right, it's too far:)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I was told by some friends that road Fernie this last weekend that Fernie added a lot of trails and both chairs will be open on the weekends this summer. They just road up and did a few trails and said they were awesome. I wish I could live in Fernie. I guess 1.5 hours away isn't bad.... ;)

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
I wish I could live in Fernie too! However the lack of work in that area is a bit of a deterrent to moving there :( You don't have it so bad though, my friend - Whitefish is a pretty nice place in it's own right. For that matter, Calgary isn't so bad either, but I used to live right in the mountains so anything more than a walk out my back door and straight onto a trail seems far for me now (spoiled rotten as I was when I lived there;)). But I'm adjusting until I can move back...:)