Quantcast

Cane Creek Preloader. What?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Bike parts are to be measured in grams and bikes in lbs. Says so in the bible
This is what confuses me. US is turning metric. It just happens at a glacial pace. It's what happens first the sun dies or americans go full metric.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is what confuses me. US is turning metric. It just happens at a glacial pace. It's what happens first the sun dies or americans go full metric.

With a few exceptions with actual reasons every place I have worked has used metric and I certainly prefer that. However for applications where I don't need to apply any engineering calculations I am happy to weigh my apples in pounds and speed in MPH for no other reason than I have less of an intuitive feeling for their metric equivalents in those applications. I do often use a metric tape measure for wood and wished that world would convert to metric. Nothing makes me grind my teeth more when I have to divide 4' 3/16" by 7.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Eh? where do you get that idea?
26" DH tyres from maxxis are more burly than their wobble prone 29" versions.
and BITD a few other manufacturers made super heavy 26" 4 ply DH tyres. If that sort of casing were a thing now you'd have 1600g+ 29x2.5" tyres

Personally I still like lighter bikes (around 30lb ish) and still think DH casings, low pressures and soft compounds ride horribly uphill or anywhere flatter that requires pedaling or accelerations. i realise mountainbiking has changed and puts me firmly in the minority surrounded by endurbros on 36lb trail bikes but with less than 10% of most days trail riding actually spent riding downhill a heavy bike and heavy draggy tyres just makes the other 90% of ride less enjoyable.
Obviously this will differ dependant on your local trails.

Anodised Alu BB30 pre-load collars have been available on ebay/Aliexpress for a while. About a tenner shipped
Intense/ITS DH tires were super burly

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I do often use a metric tape measure for wood and wished that world would convert to metric.
I hate to break the news to you: the World has converted, just the US is lacking behind (and two tiny countries that you never have heard of).

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
With a few exceptions with actual reasons every place I have worked has used metric and I certainly prefer that. However for applications where I don't need to apply any engineering calculations I am happy to weigh my apples in pounds and speed in MPH for no other reason than I have less of an intuitive feeling for their metric equivalents in those applications. I do often use a metric tape measure for wood and wished that world would convert to metric. Nothing makes me grind my teeth more when I have to divide 4' 3/16" by 7.
Most countries ripped the bandaid instead of doing it slowly. If Sweden can change the side of the road they are driving on in 1 day I'm sure america can think about apple weight differently ;) I have no issue guestimating lbs and the only reason i know lbs is ridemonkey. Even pinkbike uses both unit set

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Eh? where do you get that idea?
26" DH tyres from maxxis are more burly than their wobble prone 29" versions.
and BITD a few other manufacturers made super heavy 26" 4 ply DH tyres. If that sort of casing were a thing now you'd have 1600g+ 29x2.5" tyres
I was thinking about how specifically some people ran lighter casings BITD (Jared Graves for example). Now no one would consider that.

Michelin's 29" DH casing tires are 1500+ g.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was thinking about how specifically some people ran lighter casings BITD (Jared Graves for example). Now no one would consider that.

This is why I can't do 29er DH shit. That casing weight that from the hub is a freight train.

We made rims wider and larger, tires mainly larger diameter, put inserts in that shit, that's a few pounds right there. No one can ride anymore without at least i40 rims.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Knots tends to be the unit used for speed for navigation due to it's relationship with latitude. You'd have to be using something different than "degrees" and have a different map layout to make metric work. Then there's altitude for planes. You *can* use Metric, but even 500m is too much space and you can pack airplanes in vertically tighter with 1000s of feet without getting bizarre numbers like 240meters, 420 meters, just round numbers to the thousand place. Add to that the influence of Boeing, but not just them, all the manufacturers around the world that follow suit. At least with electronic flight displays now the calibration aspect is just programming, not the size of some dumb jewel watch part.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
This is why I can't do 29er DH shit. That casing weight that from the hub is a freight train.

We made rims wider and larger, tires mainly larger diameter, put inserts in that shit, that's a few pounds right there. No one can ride anymore without at least i40 rims.
Trickstuff x 220mm lol

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
For 4X? Where acceleration to the first corner won 90% of the races?
Yeah. I think those guys still run a light tyre set up to this day.
And those are still nowhere near as tough as the 26" DH tyres @iRider mentioned.
That was my point!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I hate to break the news to you: the World has converted, just the US is lacking behind (and two tiny countries that you never have heard of).
What about the UK? They went metric but not for the roads, at least the Americans are consistent.

I get to see the odd combo seal at work, metric OD and Imperial ID, or the other way 'round.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Those things snapped tyre levers. I literally cut one off a rim with side cutters in frustration
Amateur! Everybody knows that steel motorcycle tire levers are the way to go with these tires. ;) :D
I really liked the 909 and Intruders, but mainly used the FRO casing, which was acceptable weight and folding bead.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Amateur! Everybody knows that steel motorcycle tire levers are the way to go with these tires. ;) :D
I really liked the 909 and Intruders, but mainly used the FRO casing, which was acceptable weight and folding bead.
Do you just fold the rims bead over to get the tire off?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

Go tubeless Brah... That'll save you 20g of rotational weight! You'll feel the obvious difference in your first pedal stroke!!!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What about the UK? They went metric
Hahaha... No we didn't.
younger Brits use the metric system a little more more but We use still both metric and imperial measurements or a mixture of the two for pretty much evereything
We buy our fuel by the litre but measure our car's fuel consumption in miles per gallon and drive them on the left.
Younger friends still use feet and inches when talking about their height, but millimetres when measuring objects, pounds when talking about lifting gym weights but kg when talking about their own weight.
it's completely fucked here!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Hahaha... No we didn't.
younger Brits use the metric system a little more more but We use still both metric and imperial measurements or a mixture of the two for pretty much evereything
We buy our fuel by the litre but measure our car's fuel consumption in miles per gallon and drive them on the left.
Younger friends still use feet and inches when talking about their height, but millimetres when measuring objects, pounds when talking about lifting gym weights but kg when talking about their own weight.
it's completely fucked here!
The Industry™ is based out of the UK?

Looking at shock hardware this week has me convinced of this. It measures 1/2" x 8mm x 25.91mm.
You can't make this shit up.

I used to make fun of forks. 26", 27.5" or 29" wheel with 160mm of travel-1 1/8" steerer tube with 203mm/8" disc brake mount and 15x110mm spacing.