Quantcast

Cane Creek XV air can?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Anybody have experience with those large air cans? Do the XV can change the negative air chamber volume as well or does it only affect the positive air volume? Does the XV can provide more mid stroke support compared to a standard one?

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Positive chamber increase only. They have to completely redesign the shock (air sleeve/can, seal head and especially the piggyback assembly for more clearance with the air can) to be able to increase the negative chamber. In terms of mid stroke support, having in mind how the DebonAir and Luftkappe deal with it very effectively, you definitely need bigger negative chamber.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
So is it any better in terms of mid stroke support than the regular can? Anyone? @Udi , @Tantrum Cycles , @mtg ,any experience with those? On paper it seems like it would help a little bit.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't have a lot of experience, but I agree strongly with @imbecile, they really need to address the negative volume situation to get in line with the competition.

The guy to ask about this would be @tacubaya, I think he's our resident CC expert these days.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
The thing is I have to choose between the regular can an the XV one. With the regular can I had to put 1 full strip of volume reduction thingy and a little bit less of sag to get any support in the mid travel. According to CC marketing flyer XV can makes it more linear, so if my line of reasoning is correct, to achieve the same bottoming out force, being more linear it should have more mid travel support, as well as higher spring rate at the beginning of the travel (due to higher positive to negative air volume ratio) compared to a regular can. @tacubaya I would love to hear Your opinion!

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
The XV can has been mostly shelved. It will help slightly however it won't really make a big difference. What will help is a negative coil spring oil seal head that the made OE for Santa Cruz. I have been testing it in my 2018 Enduro and it really helps with initial small bump sensitivity. Call customer service and ask for Colin. Tell him I sent you.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
The XV can only increases positive air volume (as stated by others), this will help the shock get full travel when mounted on very progressive frames. If you substitute a SV air can with 1 volume spacer with an XV can with 0 spacers and then match the ending stroke spring force by increasing the air pressure, it will surely give you more mid stroke support but the initial spring rate will be very high and surely borderline unusable.

Like Udi says, Cane Creek needs to re-design the whole air can system to get more negative air volume in there and improve the air spring curve, unfortunately there isn't much space between the air can and the reservoir so either CC redesigns the whole shock or they need to machine eccentric air cans. Considering that the DB Air IL has eccentric machining on the outer air can, I think they will go that route. When? No idea, they are quite busy with the Helm fork and other small improvements in the shock lines.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
There are several cool projects in the works. I had the privilege of of working as a tech for a season there right when the Helm was initially released. The whole staff are some of the smartest, kindest people I have ever worked with. Everyone from engineering to inventory are truly awesome people.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@Sugar_brad

Can you throw out a bit more detail on the revised seal head please?

The trail bike has a DBa on it and I have the usual issues, (especially with an onbike weight of 230.) Have been thinking inline coil, but not too sure. Also thinking about a new trailbike, so a few $ to improve the DBa would be most cost effective as I would be handing the current bike down to my youngest son if I pull the trigger on a new steed.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
@Sugar_brad

Can you throw out a bit more detail on the revised seal head please?

The trail bike has a DBa on it and I have the usual issues, (especially with an onbike weight of 230.) Have been thinking inline coil, but not too sure. Also thinking about a new trailbike, so a few $ to improve the DBa would be most cost effective as I would be handing the current bike down to my youngest son if I pull the trigger on a new steed.
No problem, sending you a pm.