Quantcast

Canfield Wheelset

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
"Don’t loose another second with your slow spinning freehub. Win with the speed and performance of the C2 Wheels."

what are they implying here.. i hate loose hubs

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I can build 823's on Hopes for that through CRC, they'd better be pretty damn good for 450 with that kind of competition!

And did CC really let them post that Engrish silliness? Holy Chang-Star!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
All joking aside, I highly doubt that C&L would put their name on something of inferior quality.
i know right, he did go two years without maintenance. and he still rolling passed his friends.

is C&L what you call them? you guys arent on a first name basis?

They cant be that bad, It is from canfield, the rest of their products are superior
its not from Canfield. they just put their stickers on it. i doubt they are making their own hubs and rims.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
$450USD for a set of no name rims and hubs......Sure Canfield, I'll file that one next to my CRC receipt.

All mountain wheelset 2030g...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
On the forums all you hear about is how quick the engagement is or how loud a hub is. In a discipline with so much coasting it's refreshing to hear someone use common sense and talk about minimal freewheel drag.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
On the forums all you hear about is how quick the engagement is or how loud a hub is. In a discipline with so much coasting it's refreshing to hear someone use common sense and talk about minimal freewheel drag.
Except if you realize how fvcking irrelevant is, given that it's so minute in comparison to all the other things that are slowing you down as you roll down a hill.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That's true. That and the nibbles of course...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Considering pacific makes their bikes......
Nothing wrong with that. Just because the Pacific branded bikes you see in Wally World suck doesn't mean they can't make a decent frame if someone will pay for it. I ride a Pacific made bike (a Banshee) and it's well put together.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
That's pathetic. If you want to cheapen your brand by slapping your name on every catalog item you can find, go for it. But please proofread the garbage they send you so it'll look like you're making an effort to select quality parts.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's pathetic. If you want to cheapen your brand by slapping your name on every catalog item you can find, go for it. But please proofread the garbage they send you so it'll look like you're making an effort to select quality parts.
Not that this has much of anything to do with anything, but the Spooky in your sig is all kinds of awesome. If I had 1g to sink into a bike just because I'd be all over it. Your Brooklyn is awesome too, I remember goofing off on it at the 4th weekend Platty race and really liking it. Way to rock the cool older East coast companies. I'm the guy on the black Draco if you don't remember...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Except if you realize how fvcking irrelevant is, given that it's so minute in comparison to all the other things that are slowing you down as you roll down a hill.
Depends what hub you're comparing it to. I've felt freehubs that add as much drag as a slow rolling tire. Maybe you're not a fast enough racer to care but some people want minimal drag.

As for "all the other things", on smooth sections of trail all that's slowing you down is air, the freehub, hub bearings, and tires. Is addressing one of those 4 "irrelevant"?

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Disagree with you ^ there. It might only be my experience but i run industry 9 wheels which i would tend to think have the most drag, i ride at the flattest mountain (diablo) and i dont think there is a time i feel that i wish i had better rolling, i see 3 scenarios, your pedaling, your rolling(and you cant pedal) and your braking, there is really only 1 place where drag can help, and I FEEL that its so minimal that id (thats me) rather have loud "dragging" hubs and hear a cool sound that have a hypothetical .0001 second less per run. I can get that you would want rolling resistance if you were just cruising, but if you are racing, usually its not just a mellow roll down the mtn.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wow jk your nicer than me i call lance by lance but i have all sorts of stuff i call chris...:D
the rims are from a design that he came up with if its the prototype he was waiting for then. It is supposed to be better bite for ghetto tubeless 500g or 550 and 30mm if i remember correctly its been a couple of months. The hubs are rebranded as alot of the ones out there but chris has been beating on them for a long time and no issues.
He's at the rampage so if anyones down there ask him. His cell reception is crap i called him today and it was shotty at best.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I see 3 scenarios, your pedaling, your rolling(and you cant pedal) and your braking, there is really only 1 place where (reduced) drag can help.
The first scenario that came to my mind is Rainmaker at Winterpark. You need to really carry speed between jumps cuz some are kind of long and the landings aren't steep enough to get a good pump, but I don't feel like pedaling cuz that kills the feel of flow. It would be hard to quantify how much resistance each of the contributors adds but I do my best to improve what I can. I don't want to give up my 2.7" minions but I keep my bearings rolling fast, tuck my shirt in, and use an AmClassic rear hub.

Not a big deal but Canfield is the first DH company I've heard make reference to this.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
^^ bull, that was worded like their website :)
LOL I think it was a quote Chris liked when he was at the house we were chatting it up over the new stuff coming down the pipe.
He has been giving me crap about my expensive wheels for a long time that his are cheaper and never has to maintain them... I never maintain mine either but yeah his are cheaper. The rime we talked about so Im sure it sounds like the website its Chris words from back then or a basic summary of how he described them.
Ths kicker is I cant remember if the hub was a one off for him by a manufacturer back then trying to sell him on the idea and hes now getting around to it or what... I do know the rim he had made or was supposed to he was trying to fill in a gap of weight strength and width with easier ghetto tubeless setup...

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Nothing wrong with that. Just because the Pacific branded bikes you see in Wally World suck doesn't mean they can't make a decent frame if someone will pay for it. I ride a Pacific made bike (a Banshee) and it's well put together.
Different Pacific.

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
"i call lance by lance but i have all sorts of stuff i call chris"

"i called him today"

"I think it was a quote Chris liked when he was at the house we were chatting it up over the new stuff coming down the pipe..."

"He has been giving me crap about my expensive wheels..."

Damn Bullcrew, I guess we all know how cool you are!
You're "in" with the "industry folks". In case we didn't know before, we know now. Thanks!!;)

And no, don't get mad... I just finished this thread and your posts struck me humorously. Maybe its all the brews. I'm just f*&%ing with you in good fun:D