Quantcast

Can't get juicys or hopes! hayes mag?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I tried to order some new juicy 7s yesturday out of QBP and there out of stock as is BTI. I also tried for some hopes mm4 from BTI and there out of stock. Are hayes mag noticably better then the 9s? I hear they are. I could save some money and get those or just wait till i can get hopes or juicys. does the different lever make the difference on the hayes?

thanks and maybe if im lucky QBP will have some hopes but i have to wait and try on tuesday..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by biker3
I tried to order some new juicy 7s yesturday out of QBP and there out of stock as is BTI. I also tried for some hopes mm4 from BTI and there out of stock. ..
There is nothing left to live for.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have the hayes mags, IMO they don't feel nearly as good as the hopes, and some of the best workds I can find to describe them are "nice" and "adaquate", although in some situations "adaquate" means my brakes do fade and do not offer as much modulation as I'd like, but I can "make do" with them.

Hayes mags have always been relatively light, which is a plus, but if I had the $$$, I would have gone back to hopes.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Call hope directly, they usually have everything in stock, and gwen is super nice to work with.
800 303 6863

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Fulton
Call hope directly, they usually have everything in stock, and gwen is super nice to work with.
800 303 6863
That's just crazy enough to work!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Jm_
I have the hayes mags, IMO they don't feel nearly as good as the hopes, and some of the best workds I can find to describe them are "nice" and "adaquate", although in some situations "adaquate" means my brakes do fade and do not offer as much modulation as I'd like, but I can "make do" with them.

Hayes are good brakes, no two ways about it but yeah you're right Jm_, Hopes just feel better. To the OP, you're amped to ride which is cool but I'd be waiting for the Hopes if I were you, you won't regret it.:)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm replying, if you or your shop has an account with QBP or BTI, you can order direct from Hope, or even if you don't have an account with Hope, you can order direct from them. Its that easy:D

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Anyone who thinks hopes are better than avid juicy 7's have just not ridden the juicies yet :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I don't want to bash Avid just yet;) However their Juicy's have not been out that long so its hard to say how they will hold up in the long run like Hayes & Hope.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
You are right there, Juicy's have been out for so many years they are the proven best brake out there.
Hopes have been out there for many years, but I'm yet to ride a set that I would prefer over my Hayes or even an Avid cable disc... the only ones I've ridden that were even on par with Hayes were some brand-spanking-new Mono4s (I think that's the name... the new 4 pots anyway).

And if you're going to claim poor setup, why are they so hard to get right?!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by thaflyinfatman
Hopes have been out there for many years, but I'm yet to ride a set that I would prefer over my Hayes or even an Avid cable disc... the only ones I've ridden that were even on par with Hayes were some brand-spanking-new Mono4s (I think that's the name... the new 4 pots anyway).

Avid cable discs better than Hopes.......I think you must have been smokin' too much of the old electric spinach there mate.;) :D
I've got the Enduros and they work an absolute treat.:)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have hope brakes on all my bikes.

I had DHO4's and Enduros on my DH bikes for a few years, then got some 2003 M4's and couldn't be happier! They feel soo good right now it's not even funny (ask Brian HCM#1).

I also have some C2's on two other bikes which I also like, but if I had the $$ would love to upgrade to Mono Mini's.

Juicy's appear to be nice brakes...I would definitely like to try a pair, but they almost cost more than Hopes...so that makes it an easy choice ;)

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Avid cable discs better than Hopes.......I think you must have been smokin' too much of the old electric spinach there mate.;) :D
I've got the Enduros and they work an absolute treat.:)
Yeah, scary isn't it... but strangely true! Hopes are nice brakes for sure, but I've never really been blown away by them, and I've seen heaps of people have issues with them.

BTW, the old Avid cable calipers had more power than the new ones do, they had a longer actuation arm (which unfortunately meant a pretty long lever throw and fairly soft lever feel).

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah, scary isn't it... but strangely true! Hopes are nice brakes for sure, but I've never really been blown away by them, and I've seen heaps of people have issues with them.

BTW, the old Avid cable calipers had more power than the new ones do, they had a longer actuation arm (which unfortunately meant a pretty long lever throw and fairly soft lever feel).
I'm sure if ya tried the Hopes on my bike you'd change ya tune.:) I guess it all comes down to what you're happy with. But I would like to have a go of the Juicys though.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I'm sure if ya tried the Hopes on my bike you'd change ya tune.:) I guess it all comes down to what you're happy with. But I would like to have a go of the Juicys though.
Maybe, or maybe my Hayes/Avid are just set up super well :p

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Hope are a little more finiky to set up, it sometimes takes a few trys to get the shims right. But when set up properly they are great.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Acadian
I have hope brakes on all my bikes.

I had DHO4's and Enduros on my DH bikes for a few years, then got some 2003 M4's and couldn't be happier! They feel soo good right now it's not even funny (ask Brian HCM#1).
It's true:D

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
No its not!!!!!!! Buy Hopes......................Now wasn't that easy;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :p
You are just like the death star, pulling everyone in with your tractor beams.

-dAn

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Hope are a little more finiky to set up, it sometimes takes a few trys to get the shims right. But when set up properly they are great.
Heh, I saw 2 guys at my LBS spend a whole day (don't worry, it was their day off) trying to set up their respective pairs of Hopes..

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Heh, I saw 2 guys at my LBS spend a whole day (don't worry, it was their day off) trying to set up their respective pairs of Hopes..
Was it the shims giving them grief? Even a wood-duck like me managed to get mine set up nice fairly quickly so I can't think what the problem might have been.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Was it the shims giving them grief? Even a wood-duck like me managed to get mine set up nice fairly quickly so I can't think what the problem might have been.
Nah, they're just slow workers :p

I don't know what their problem was, mighta been the shims but I never bothered to ask.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you can't set up or bleed hopes, you might be legally retarded, i've done it more than once, and it was dead simple.

If you can't set up hopes, you might as well quit mountain biking, since hayes are no simpler/easier, and bleeding hayes is more difficult with the crazy lever position and requires special things like syringes.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by Jm_
If you can't set up or bleed hopes, you might be legally retarded, i've done it more than once, and it was dead simple.

If you can't set up hopes, you might as well quit mountain biking, since hayes are no simpler/easier, and bleeding hayes is more difficult with the crazy lever position and requires special things like syringes.
But we all know you're of above-average intelligence. *cough*

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
well..my real point is that if you can't set up hopes, you should probably stay away from hayes and magura (and most other brakes out there)....besides hopes I have pretty good experience with the other two, and if I can install the other two, hopes are no big deal.

And yeah, I get As in all my classes...however that only means that I know how to get As and take tests, but at least it means that I know how to do something really well.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Avid mechanical disc brakes are the best brakes on the market right now, I haven't tried the juicies yet, I'm guessing they are better. Of course I haven't tried hopes or maguras yet either so by the same logic they're probablly better. I tried some hayes and they didn't work as well as my avids, but they needed to be bled and the pads were really worn. So all I really know is that avids are better than hayes that aren't well maintained. Oh and the avids are stupid simple to setup and maintain, just a couple of bright red knobs to adjust and that's about it, if you have a Chameleon with the upside down disc adaptor I hear the avid mechanicals don't work too well though. Why don't you just get some XT discs which are actually the same calipers as Maguras only they use mineral oil instead of dot fluid. Then you have the advantage of a proprietary hub and rotor, plus you can use those neat levers that have the shifter built in. There's always grimeca too, don't forget about them, I had a system 11 or something like that, it was cable actuated and worked worse than my vee brakes, but in rain and snow it was a little bit better than wet rim brakes. Whatever you do don't get promax disc brakes, apparently they are about as good as my grimeca mechanical disc brake, maybe worse. There's the shimano Deore disc brakes too, they're supposed to be almost like the XT's without the hassle of needing a special hub and rotor, oh and they don't stop as well because they aren't XT. I'd also think you could get some Brembo brakes for a motorcycle and custom fab a hub and modify your fork to run backwards so that the caliper mount would be on the right leg, something like that with a 12" rotor would be better than anything but it'd cost a lot and might need a lot of mantinance.

Maybe you should just go with vee brakes, they worked good enough for the top downhillers a few years ago.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Kornphlake
if you have a Chameleon with the upside down disc adaptor I hear the avid mechanicals don't work too well though.
Yeah, Partsbara has that set up and in his words the position of the disc mount is "retarded". Have to agree after seeing it, what were they thinking?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
That's funny I think he's the only person that's ever said avids work well on a chameleon.

The reasoning behind putting the caliper on the bottom is that the braking forces will push the axle into the horiz drops rather than pushing the axle out like it would with a standard mounting. Apparently they decided it wasn't that big of a deal since they now have standard disc tabs on the seatstays of the '04.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Kornphlake
That's funny I think he's the only person that's ever said avids work well on a chameleon.

He does like the Avids and they do work well as they're great brakes but the disc position is still retarded.:)