Quantcast

Canyon Bikes

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Anybody here have a Canyon bike? I am specifically looking at the Grail 7 1by gravel bike. A lot of reviews says they run big. I have never had a gravel bike and buying online without being able to test worries me especially when there size calculator puts me in between L and XL. Curious if anyone has any experience with the brand and sizing.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
How tall are you?

What TT do you run on a road bike?

A friend bought a Grail AL and he stuck to what their size calculator suggested to him. Fits him perfect.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I snooped around the German forums a little and there folks seem to go from 190 cm and up to XL. People in the 185 cm range buy L.
Found this pic from a guy that is 185 cm tall, leg length 90 cm and sits on a L frame.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That’s 6’5” in freedom? I’m 6’4” and ride a 59 Salsa Warbird. I would compare some geometry’s as some xl gravel bikes translate to 61 or 62, which are huuuge. Sorry for a not very specific answer.
Also worth noting, the Grail is designed with a longer TT and shorter stem, so might not be directly comparable to more traditional sized bikes.

Another thing: coming from a MTB background, I tend to replace the setback seatposts on road and gravel bikes with straight ones to place me more forward on the bike. Between this, the stem and the handlebar you have room to adjust how streched out you sit by approx. 5 cm.

If you have big feet, also keep toe overlap with the front wheel in mind. I have it on some of my road an the cross bike. Annoying, but long-ish cranks, big feet and a cleat position more towards the middle of the shoe result in this. :disgust:

Last edited:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Also worth noting, the Grail is designed with a longer TT and shorter stem, so might not be directly comparable to more traditional sized bikes.

Another thing: coming from a MTB background, I tend to replace the setback seatposts on road and gravel bikes with straight ones to place me more forward on the bike. Between this, the stem and the handlebar you have room to adjust how streched out you sit by approx. 5 cm.

If you have big feet, also keep toe overlap with the front wheel in mind. I have it on some of my road an the cross bike. Annoying, but long-ish cranks, big feet and a cleat position more towards the middle of the shoe result in this. :disgust:
Toe overlap sometimes cannot be avoided though. Newest bike is a roadbike where the next size larger have a couple mm of toe overlap still. Is not unrideable but is something that can be extreme.
3co1-2048x1153.jpg

Not a great pic but this just zips my shoe if trackstanding while a stoplight is waiting to turn.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Toe overlap sometimes cannot be avoided though. Newest bike is a roadbike where the next size larger have a couple mm of toe overlap still. Is not unrideable but is something that can be extreme. View attachment 169649

Not a great pic but this just zips my shoe if trackstanding while a stoplight is waiting to turn.
Yep, but on a roadie I am more than able to tolerate it. The cross bike on trails is a different story and I might or might not have crashed because of it.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Yep, but on a roadie I am more than able to tolerate it. The cross bike on trails is a different story and I might or might not have crashed because of it.
That's just no-good. My Gravel/CX Bike, also a same size Ridley w/ 1.5° less HT Angle and has well over an inch to tips of shoes.

My leg length/inseam is right around 92 cm
Road or Gravel, Reach is most important in order to attain endurance. I've also learned to assume Canyon is a much larger fit than what's typical, like Ridley.

Nearly as tall as our wallflower pal, a Large frame has always been much too big in Ridley. If you're 6'3" or so, you'll fit fine on a Size L Canyon

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nearly as tall as our wallflower pal, a Large frame has always been much too big in Ridley. If you're 6'3" or so, you'll fit fine on a Size L Canyon
Funny thing is, if I punch @Dirtrider 's numbers into Canyon's size calculator, I end up with 2XL. This is clearly too big IMO, but L could be on the small side.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Funny thing is, if I punch @Dirtrider 's numbers into Canyon's size calculator, I end up with 2XL. This is clearly too big IMO, but L could be on the small side.
Yes. On the cusp of xl vs xxl from what I typed in with my height and inseam. But xxl seems monstrous. And I’m a total newbie when it comes to road/gravel setups

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
This is where the 'buy-direct' model needs a massive rework.

Couldn't find an official Size Calculator but there's plenty of forum topics that turn up. I'm all for dialing in a smaller frame - if possible.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This is where the 'buy-direct' model needs a massive rework.

Couldn't find an official Size Calculator but there's plenty of forum topics that turn up. I'm all for dialing in a smaller frame - if possible.
So we are in agreement, XL.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yes. On the cusp of xl vs xxl from what I typed in with my height and inseam. But xxl seems monstrous. And I’m a total newbie when it comes to road/gravel setups
Do you have the chance to sit on gravel and/or road bikes at a local dealer? Just to see what feels good and what not?
Then you can go from these numbers and compare them to the Canyon.
Note that road bikes have the same issue as MTBs: sizes are not the same across the different brands. I have M, M/L and L for my road/gravel bikes and they all fit.
Like I said, you can play around with stem length, seatpost seatback and additionally the handlebars on a road bike. Drop handlebars have a reach and drop of their own, with which you can adjust the bike, either by rolling or by swapping it.

I would not listen to classic roadies with regards to setup though. Slamming the stem or not running your stem "plus" might look better in their opinion, but fit is all that matters.

Also, for pure road bikes I agree with @Muddy and would try to make a smaller frame work. For gravel bikes it depends more on your intended use as a longer wheelbase might give you that little bit more stability. Are you planning to use the gravel bike as commuter, for dirt roads or also on some trails?

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Do you have the chance to sit on gravel and/or road bikes at a local dealer? Just to see what feels good and what not?
Then you can go from these numbers and compare them to the Canyon.
Note that road bikes have the same issue as MTBs: sizes are not the same across the different brands. I have M, M/L and L for my road/gravel bikes and they all fit.
Like I said, you can play around with stem length, seatpost seatback and additionally the handlebars on a road bike. Drop handlebars have a reach and drop of their own, with which you can adjust the bike, either by rolling or by swapping it.

I would not listen to classic roadies with regards to setup though. Slamming the stem or not running your stem "plus" might look better in their opinion, but fit is all that matters.

Also, for pure road bikes I agree with @Muddy and would try to make a smaller frame work. For gravel bikes it depends more on your intended use as a longer wheelbase might give you that little bit more stability. Are you planning to use the gravel bike as commuter, for dirt roads or also on some trails?
local shops don’t have shit in the way of gravel, let alone large sizes. So I’m trying to run numbers and will-probably end up gambling..xl vs xxl

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
local shops don’t have shit in the way of gravel, let alone large sizes. So I’m trying to run numbers and will-probably end up gambling..xl vs xxl
@iRider has things covered for you, the controls will also factor into getting a fit that much tighter. There's plenty of riders modding controls in order higher up the handlebar - grinding/removing material. If a bike felt too small, swapped out a stem things had felt too stretched - angling the controls upward a bit will alleviate sketchiness if pointed down steep and loose.

FWIW I dedicated nearly three years of physical parts and physical strengthening inorder to get comfy. Past two years have been fairly stable. It's all good fun though.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just to follow up, I went and measured the TTs (mid-mid, horizontal) on my bikes and there seems to be a trend.
The gravel/road/cross bikes have all an around 25 mm shorter TT compared to my old school 26" enduro bikes. For context: gravel/road/cross bikes have 100 mm stems, seatpost with no setback and 420 or 440 mm wide bars (mid-mid), enduros 45 and 50 mm stems, droppers and 740 bars. XC bike has longer TT and stem.

Not sure if this helps you, but there you have it.