Quantcast

Car for Africa

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So for anyone who didn't catch my other thread, I'm moving to central Africa for 2 years. Burundi, to be precise...be living/working in Bujumbura, the only real city in the whole country.

I'll have SUVs available for work, including required travel to the countryside. However, I'll need my own car for getting around the city (including many dirt roads), and possibly making personal excursions outside...however, that may not even be allowed, depending on the security situation.

I'll have access to unleaded fuel from work at reasonable prices, and I'm told there's no diesel readily available. We're going to need to bring a lot of spare parts with us (belts, filters, tires, other consumables).

So right now, I have a Subaru Outback Sport (Impreza wagon with slightly heavier springs and taller suspension). I could ship this over. But since I'm in CA now, and will be headed to the east coast for a few months of training prior to leaving the country, I was thinking I'd sell my Subie here in CA, buy an SUV on the east coast to use during training, then ship it over when I leave.

Toyota land cruisers and Mitubishi Pajeros (Monteros) seem to be the popular cars for expats in Buj. So it seems simple enough, except that it's damn near impossible to find a used LC or Montero that's has a standard transmission (necessity) and is not luxury-oriented. And I understand the Tacoma is not the same truck as a Hi-Lux (pickup used by the rest of the world).

Anyone have any suggestions?? I guess I could look for a Land Rover...but I was thinking of trying to find a cheap, beat up car...

MD

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
So for anyone who didn't catch my other thread, I'm moving to central Africa for 2 years. Burundi, to be precise...be living/working in Bujumbura, the only real city in the whole country.

I'll have SUVs available for work, including required travel to the countryside. However, I'll need my own car for getting around the city (including many dirt roads), and possibly making personal excursions outside...however, that may not even be allowed, depending on the security situation.

I'll have access to unleaded fuel from work at reasonable prices, and I'm told there's no diesel readily available. We're going to need to bring a lot of spare parts with us (belts, filters, tires, other consumables).

So right now, I have a Subaru Outback Sport (Impreza wagon with slightly heavier springs and taller suspension). I could ship this over. But since I'm in CA now, and will be headed to the east coast for a few months of training prior to leaving the country, I was thinking I'd sell my Subie here in CA, buy an SUV on the east coast to use during training, then ship it over when I leave.

Toyota land cruisers and Mitubishi Pajeros (Monteros) seem to be the popular cars for expats in Buj. So it seems simple enough, except that it's damn near impossible to find a used LC or Montero that's has a standard transmission (necessity) and is not luxury-oriented. And I understand the Tacoma is not the same truck as a Hi-Lux (pickup used by the rest of the world).

Anyone have any suggestions?? I guess I could look for a Land Rover...but I was thinking of trying to find a cheap, beat up car...

MD
Going to be a 419 scammer?

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
so you want to find either a high end to semi high end suv or a beat to hell car. can you look for a little consistancy while your doing your vehicle shopping?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
so you want to find either a high end to semi high end suv or a beat to hell car. can you look for a little consistancy while your doing your vehicle shopping?
Or you could work on your reading comprehension.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Find something once you arrive. You should be able to find a hi-lux with a mounted soviet-era heavy machine gun for short money.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I can't help it if you're stupid.

I'm looking for a car that apparently doesn't exist in the US, because our SUVs are all soccer mom grocery-getters or luxury penis-extenders. With automatic transmissions.

I want a beat up, stripped down SUV that will get me across rivers, and has parts and service available in Burundi. And I want to buy it here, because everything manufactured is enormously expensive over there. Don't think I'll be able to find it, unless I'm lucky enough to locate a Montero with a stick shift.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I can't help it if you're stupid.

I'm looking for a car that apparently doesn't exist in the US, because our SUVs are all soccer mom grocery-getters or luxury penis-extenders. With automatic transmissions.

I want a beat up, stripped down SUV that will get me across rivers, and has parts and service available in Burundi. And I want to buy it here, because everything manufactured is enormously expensive over there. Don't think I'll be able to find it, unless I'm lucky enough to locate a Montero with a stick shift.
Nissan Montero's are a good choice, also think about a four door Nissan Navara.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Monteros are Mitsus...the Nissan Patrol is an awesome truck, but they don't sell them in the US.

Do you know if the Montero came in a stick shift?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Find something once you arrive. You should be able to find a hi-lux with a mounted soviet-era heavy machine gun for short money.
The DSHKA will be cheap, but the truck will be serious $$$, alas...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm not going to be able to get to the KFC in Buj unless I find a car.

Looks like I'll have to hold out on finding an older Montero (2000 and earlier were apparently body-on-frame instead of unibody, good for me) with a stick shift. And a supply of anal hippo lube.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't think we didn't see you delete that post...we know who you are...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If anything comes up in my price range, I'll check it out...but most of the Defenders available seem to be waaaaaay up there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My brother-in-law bought an older Isuzu Trooper for $1500 and drove it all the way to Costa Rica. He's had it for over a year now without issues and it's just ugly enough to not get stolen.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You are correct in that the Tacoma is a N. American vehicle only. The rest of the world gets the smaller more fuel efficient Hilux. Parts for the Tacoma overseas are considered very hard to get. There is lots of good info on the net about trucks that do well all over the world. There are a surprising number of tourists in America building vehicles for exploring the world.

Land cruisers hold their value very well. The "luxury" can be easily stripped off of them and there is a ton of aftermarket support to turn them back into trucks.

Ideas:
Older Toyota truck that was sold worldwide.
Nissan Partol....or you could settle for the Xterra. Although it too is a N Amer only truck, I believe it has the same platform as the very popular patrol.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
First gen 4-runner.

Though I will pay good money to see you get an early-90s S class, black out the windows, and put little burundian flags on the fenders.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Are the old 4-runners a worldwide-available vehicle? That'd be cool...

Lots available with manual trans., too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
But I can't find a standard-transmission LC that's not a restored beauty or a totally pimped out rock crawler...

I wish I had my LC from Iraq. That car was awesome, except for the blood-spatter stains on the roof upholstery.