Quantcast

car transport/delivery recommendations?

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Car Monkeys, I'm buying a used truck from a dealership N. of Milwaukee and need to arrange transport to New Mexico. A google search and submitting online requests for quotes yields a bewildering number of very expensive, needy, and shady vendors wanting to charge in the neighborhood of $1k. Driving it myself is not an option at this point, and it needs a couple minor repairs before I could have someone else drive it for me. Anyone used a open-air car delivery service before and willing to make a recommendation? I'd appreciate it.
- Joe

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't think $1000 is too far of a stretch. What repairs need to be done? Why not do those and have someone drive it down at their own pace?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No recommendations, but the first time I met Stoney he crashed at my house in the middle of a cross country drive from buying a car in Philly and driving back to the Bay area. I think he did it in 3 days, solo.

#coolstorybro #nohelpwhatsoever

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i forget what site it is that people bid on hauling something you need transported....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
uship.com? I was going to use a vendor through there but they were shut down for fraud before my car hit their carrier. It took a month of wrangling before I got my money back.

I've used Dependable Auto Shippers a few times with varying results. One thing is for sure: don't expect it in a timely manner. This is why I took matters in my own hands when I moved from Seattle to Denver:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
i forget what site it is that people bid on hauling something you need transported....
Thx. That may be uShip? Quotes I got from there were in the same ballpark. I'm just puzzled, as the anecdotes I get from folks who've purchased a vehicle off of ebay (not the case here) have paid more on the order of $400 or $500 to get a vehicle delivered cross country. It only needs minor repairs (leaking transmission lines & pan gasket, new lower radiator hose), but organizing those repairs long distance is gonna be difficult unless I pay the dealership to do it. Rather do it correctly, in my own carport.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I shipped my car to AK, but there are a few dedicated shipping companies. When I first started making inquiries, all sorts of sketchy "transporters" started showing up on my web searches and such. These appeared to be transporter trucks. I made sure I found a place that had a physical office in both locations, which didn't include any 2nd or 3rd parties. Evidently, a lot of the truck shippers come overland on the AlCan highway, which puts a beating on your car. On the boat, it's sealed in a box. I know this isn't super helpful, but I know exactly what you mean by all the sketchy vendors that seem to come out of nowhere and offer to do it. Maybe call your car insurance and see if they have any ideas?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
$1 a mile is pretty close to the standard.

I paid $1500 to have a boat hauled from L.A. to Michigan.

uship.com is what I used, but that was 8 years ago.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Well, maybe the quotes aren't out of line. I guess I was figuring prices would be less, given fuel costs nowadays. I suppose I need to narrow it down to a few and start googling for reviews so I don't get stuck with a bad apple. Other than Hemmings.com, is there a car junkie web forum where I might find some sound recommendations/references? Maybe Edmunds? Guess I'll have to do some reading... Thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have used Uship and if you are patient you can get really good prices. Eventually someone has an empty slot on an almost full truck running your route that they want to fill. Have had cars shipped from Memphis and Dayton OH for less than $300.