Quantcast

Carbon + DH cranks. Ummm

Garrett 0 P

Monkey
Sep 10, 2006
sammamish
stiffer, stronger. you can put the material in the direction of the loading. this allows you to fine tune the stiffness and strength in any direction you want, usually the load path. also, you can layup the laminate such that under certain thermal loading it can bend in a pre-determined direction. the coolest thing I've ever made was a tensile test specimen with a negative poisson's ratio. when you pulled on it axially, instead of getting skinny in the transverse direction, it got fatter. metals can't do that sh1t. only crazy materials. crazy cool materials. fvck metal
hmm thats wierd i see more carbon materials brake on a regular basis then metal.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
hmm thats wierd i see more carbon materials brake on a regular basis then metal.
Everyone claims they have seen a lot of carbon break and everyone allways loves to show off when they break stuff on their bikes.
Still I havent seen a lot of pics of broken carbonium.
Ive been riding carbon bars for 2 years now and I trust m as much as any bar.
Ive seen lots of alu bars break but it doenst mean I cant trust alu bars anymore.
Seriously, everyone hating on carbon is just plain ignorant...

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
stiffer, stronger. you can put the material in the direction of the loading. this allows you to fine tune the stiffness and strength in any direction you want, usually the load path. also, you can layup the laminate such that under certain thermal loading it can bend in a pre-determined direction. the coolest thing I've ever made was a tensile test specimen with a negative poisson's ratio. when you pulled on it axially, instead of getting skinny in the transverse direction, it got fatter. metals can't do that sh1t. only crazy materials. crazy cool materials. fvck metal
Most people are pretty familiar with the ways metal and wood deform and fail, but for composites most people don't have much hands-on experience, so non-isotropic and funky poisson's ratio materials blow minds and breed misconception about what goes on.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Dude, how retarded are you. You seen them carbon materials breaking, huh? You's never seen them metal materials break? It's not the materials fault if it breaks. I guarantee you I can make a handlebar out of aluminum that I can bend in half with my bare hands and I can make a handlebar out of any composite material that won't even budge with the same bare hands.

Going to personal experience: I've been riding a bike for quite some time. In my experience, I've broken two pairs of those old school oversized azonic bars. Those were aluminum, and they sucked a$$. I've ridden numerous production truvativ composite bars (25.4mm and 31.8mm) and have yet to break one. And the carbon bars have seen much more abuse than those crappy azonic bars.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Most people are pretty familiar with the ways metal and wood deform and fail, but for composites most people don't have much hands-on experience, so non-isotropic and funky poisson's ratio materials blow minds and breed misconception about what goes on.
well, then they should look it up. i don't know any other way to explain it. it's really simple to understand if you just look up the definition of isotropic and poisson's ratio.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd have no problem in running them if they offered enough of a benefit for the massive increase in cost. Too expensive for me at the moment though.

Last year I saw an Easton carbon seatpost break on the first run under a guy who weighs about 65 kilos. After seeing what that did to the inside of his leg, I would be worried about running super-lightweight carbon components. However, sensibly built carbon stuff has a higher strength to weight ratio than standard aluminium stuff. Pity it's so damn expensive.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
It is a pity. I think eventually the costs will come down. Technology just needs to step up in terms of manufacturing. Right now we're still paying for the R&D of the materials. Eventually that will all go away.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
well, then they should look it up. i don't know any other way to explain it. it's really simple to understand if you just look up the definition of isotropic and poisson's ratio.
Poisson's ratio n is the ratio of transverse contraction strain to longitudinal extension strain in the direction of stretching force. Tensile deformation is considered positive and compressive deformation is considered negative. The definition of Poisson's ratio contains a minus sign so that normal materials have a positive ratio.

Methods of producing high density, high strength, homogeneous graphite articles having densities of 2 or more and isotropic ratios of about 1.05 or less are disclosed. These methods achieve densification to levels above 2 g/cc yet take greatest advantage of increases in all structural properties and maintain isotropic quality. They involve impregnation of pre-formed isotropic graphite substrates of high density, having an isotropic ratio of 1.05 or less, 15 to 35 percent total porosity of which at least 50 percent is interconnected and open to the surface, average pore diameters of 1.5 to 5 microns, and narrow pore size distributions. A vacuum is drawn on the substrate after which it is contacted with highly fluid impregnant such as petroleum or coal tar pitch and then carbonized, baked and graphitized under conditions correlated to increase density without detectably modifying graphite matrix structure. This variable correlation assures maximum strength increase commensurate with density increase and avoids degradation of desirable properties such as isotropic ratio.

SO SIMPLE!! Sorry some of us arn't Engineers!! Nothing wrong with carbon by the way. And Carbon XC bars on a DH, that guy has to be crazy, I have those on my rode steezer and I can feel the flex on every bump. I love my Carbon Helmet!!

Garrett 0 P

Monkey
Sep 10, 2006
sammamish
Dude, how retarded are you. You seen them carbon materials breaking, huh? You's never seen them metal materials break? It's not the materials fault if it breaks. I guarantee you I can make a handlebar out of aluminum that I can bend in half with my bare hands and I can make a handlebar out of any composite material that won't even budge with the same bare hands.

Going to personal experience: I've been riding a bike for quite some time. In my experience, I've broken two pairs of those old school oversized azonic bars. Those were aluminum, and they sucked a$$. I've ridden numerous production truvativ composite bars (25.4mm and 31.8mm) and have yet to break one. And the carbon bars have seen much more abuse than those crappy azonic bars.

im not trying to argue with you. im just asking some questions because i havent heard this information before. its just that ive seen carbon bars brake and levers brake. so its just my personal experience. your probly right tho

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
i am 120 lbs, dont do gnar gnar hucks to flat.
:rofl: Famous last words!!

I like the look of these cranks, but I'm hella keen to see the cranks that Aaron from Lahar is working on, supposed to be ~1lb lighter than your diabolous etc. cranks out there. And going by the bikes he's made they're going to take a beating too!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone have any word on how well these would stand up to hack riders? Would I bend/break them easily by bashing on the roxorz?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
carbonhas suffered so much through mis-information, rider error and just plain lying. Don't get me wrong there are some crappy carbon makers out there. I have a ton of carbon on all my bikes from road to DH and they all work great. The benefits of carbon just need ot more understood....D

J

J5ive

I like the look of these cranks, but I'm hella keen to see the cranks that Aaron from Lahar is working on, supposed to be ~1lb lighter than your diabolous etc. cranks out there. And going by the bikes he's made they're going to take a beating too!
Diablous come in at 1350gr?ish with bb. So his are going to be around 900 grams? Easy had with a middleburn/xt/atlas setup. Still would be cool to see.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

who do i have to sleep with to get my (broken) hands on these?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hey bcd, can you swap the spider for a 4 bolt 104bcd on those FSA bmx carbons? They interest me, but the 5 bolt 110bcd does not...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont see anything wrong with them at all. and they aren't the newer ultra light ones, they are something like 20 grams difference form the dh ones. these bars are designed to withstand a 250 lbs rider taking it through hell, so i wont be worried at all.
i even run avid juicy carbons, beliving that they will be more resistant to getting bent or snaping then the metal ones. so far after crashing into trees and rocks directly on the leavers, they are perfectly fine besides some scratches.
but then i would never run a carbon seat post.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have yet to see a posted pic of snapped carbon bars.
I'm a solid year + on my FSA K force bars @ 190lbs and they have serious OTB damage in the bends.
Here, an FSA K Force, just for you. :)

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Overtightening of the brake levers/shifter maybe?

We need to forget about all of the gt lts carbon bikes that broke every 5 seconds and give this stuff a chance. It will just be hard to persuade people to hand over their hard earned cash (most likley more than a tried and tested equivalent) for a product that they are uneasy about running.

Rick

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
How many people complained about isis drive cranks coming loose because they were used to square taper cranks where you don't press the crank on as far as humanly possible? How many people hated index shifters because they didn't know you have to turn the barrel adjuster to tune the shifters to shift on each click? How many people were scared of front brakes on their bmx bike because they can throw you over the handlebars?

New technology means you have to understand the technology, how to install it, how to maintain it and how to use it efficiently. People who broke carbon bars because their brake levers were overtightened or they had a burr on their stem is not evidence of carbon fiber's inferiority, it is evidence of an industry not understanding the proper prep work required in installing a carbon bar. No matter how many people say that they did everything right and their bar still broke, I'll still side with the engineering data that says that carbon is an adequate material. There was some error on the user's end that broke the bar, or there was an impact that would have broken any bar.