Quantcast

carbon fiber

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Yea I would think so... doesn't the trainer only cup around the QR bolt and tightener and squeeze?

That's what mine does.

I think that you'll be safe, put it in gently and look for where the points of contact are when you slowly start to tighten it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
dhriderII said:
anyone have any thing against getting a CF seatpost? im looking to get one and im slightly wondering if is any better then a metal one?
First, I have zero experience with CF, but have been reading a lot about it. One guy I chatted with said that he swapped his steel fork for CF and felt it wasn't worth it. Another said the same about his seatpost.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
dhriderII said:
anyone have any thing against getting a CF seatpost? im looking to get one and im slightly wondering if is any better then a metal one?

Since they are so smooth, slippage can be a problem esp depending on what type of seat clamp you have. Grease can makes them more slippery and may damage them though one manufacter(?) recommends greasing their post.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
dhriderII said:
I've had a bit of slippage, but it's nice not having to have grease in there. They do ride smoother you just have to be carefull when you tighten the bolts, not to over do it that is. I like carbon forks to very nice and smooth. I'd go for a carbon post if I were you but don;t bother with them on your mountain bike.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I run CF on my road and XC hardtail at all contact points, bars, seatpost, and cranks. I also have a CF fork on my road. But on my trail bike or DH bike, no CF at all due to suspension. I find that CF bars cut down on the hi frequency vibs quite a bit, as does the seat post. The cranks I can't really tell, but are plenty stiff. The fork on the road is my first and I've never ridden steel so no basis for comparison. These bike I tend not to crash a lot so that's why the CF.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
yeah ive got a carbon fiber fork on my road bike, im please with it, ive only riden a steel fork once befor and that was way befor i got my bike. i deffin wouldnt go carbon on my mtn bikes, weight really isnt a worry there for me... lol mostly a gravity junky

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I use a CF seatpost and fork on my Bianchi EV3, which is a really stiff aluminum frame. I've ridden steel, aluminum, and CF, and I find the CF is the best for vibration damping and comfort on long rides. If I had the $$$, I'd probably get a CF stem and bars too. You have to flip the seat collar around so the opening is not in line with the slit in the seat tube, or it's really easy to pinch and gouge the post. My post doesn't slip, but I have friends who have scuffed up the post the the inside of the seat tube to make it grip better, with good results. I wouldn't grease it though.

As far as bolting your bike into a trainer, I'd never put a good frame into a trainer. The dropouts don't move, so it puts a lot of stress on the fork, head tube area, and frame in general. Real men ride rollers. :-)

BaggyShorts

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
I use carbon bars and seatpost on both my road bike and my xc bike, as well as a carbon road fork. I really like the way it makes vibrations and small bumps dissapear. It increases the comfort a lot, which reduces fatigue. When I put carbon bars(EC 90) on my xc bike, it felt like my fork had increased in travel. Carbon forks dont seem to be much smoother than steel, but they are way lighter.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
I've got a cf bike that's been on a trainer a few times. The local bike shop, which does a lot of road / high end bikes, didn't indicate to me any problems with putting the bike on a trainer, but did advise just using a cheap, conventional steel QR on my back wheel when on the trainer.

Also at the advice of the local shop, I upgraded to a Specialized CF seatpost when replacing the OEM one. I really like the ride of the CF post; it is very smooth and buzz free, even on rough pavement.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Carbon forks are the way to go unless you have a clunker of a frame. It will save you 2 lbs over steel, a lb over alu. If you can't tell the difference, then the problem is somewhere else.

I use a Wound-Up personally, which has an alu crown. It is relatively heavy, 450 grams vs most 300+ gram carbon forks, but the alu crown is stiffer and more reliable.

I am thinking about switching to an Easton fork, though. It is lighter and I believe it will hold up over the warranty period (5 years).

Carbon seatposts are a funny one. I saw a picture in MB Action where an Easton post sheared right in half.

I use a Thomson on my road bike. There I am losing about 50-90 grams, but I rather go for strength than a minor weight gain.

I also ride Ti, so I figure my frame is going to absorb most of the road buzz. If I was still riding alu frames, I would probably go carbon.

Finally, the key with carbon posts is the clamp mech. The post is just a carbon tube, but the clamp has to take stress in multiple directions. Easton used to have a horrible one, but it has gotten better. I like the Record post personally.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a campy chorus seat post... I think its titanium. I rode a friend's Pinarelo Prince which has carbon everything and, aside from being silly light - I didn't notice any significant ride improvement over steel. I might be stupid though.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Serial Midget said:
I have a campy chorus seat post... I think its titanium. I rode a friend's Pinarelo Prince which has carbon everything and, aside from being silly light - I didn't notice any significant ride improvement over steel. I might be stupid though.
I did a ride last summer on some chip and seal road w/ my carbon fork, bars and seatpost equipped roadie. My riding partner was riding a Moots Ti w/ carbon forks and Al bars and Ti post. What I noticed was the vibs kinda canceled itself at about 30-40 mph and the whole bike quieted down. My buddy said her bike just got worse and worse the faster she went. I'm not attributing my experience entirely to the CF as it could be how Al vs Ti transmit vibs. But I'm pretty certain that the CF post under my ass and bars in my hand had something to do w/ my bike being quieter than hers.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Pau11y said:
What I noticed was the vibs kinda canceled itself at about 30-40 mph and the whole bike quieted down.
Oh...well, the chances of me spinning along at 30 to 40 MPH are pretty slim. I usually just barely manage 18 to 20 but, if I am ever able to pedal at those speeds I just might treat myself to some carbon something. :)