Quantcast

Carbon handlebar for DH?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'm in the 225+ club.

I want to live.
245. 3 years on mine, nicked, dinged, head-on with trees, Diablo, Plattekill, no go-arounds, not even slightly worried.

I have broken alu bars (Azonic DW), but that has nothing to do with it, and is 'neither here nor there'

If you fear carbon, you should also stay away from Marlboro lights; I hear the filters make you sterile..........

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
The problem I have with carbon parts on a DH bike is simple, WHile is is as strong, or stronger than Aluminum, when it fails, it always fails big.
not necessarily; depends on the construction & part in question. with alternating cloth layups, a (well built) carbon part might crack due to some ridiculous loading & still maintain adequate integrity (in other layers) to keep the whole intact, and not result in a catastrophic failure mode. i've seen carbon stuff crack that would still require serious work with an axe to come apart fully. granted, i don't think building something with as small a cross sectional area as a bar with that kind of toughness is easy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
not necessarily; depends on the construction & part in question. with alternating cloth layups, a (well built) carbon part might crack due to some ridiculous loading & still maintain adequate integrity (in other layers) to keep the whole intact, and not result in a catastrophic failure mode. i've seen carbon stuff crack that would still require serious work with an axe to come apart fully. granted, i don't think building something with as small a cross sectional area as a bar with that kind of toughness is easy.
I have never seen a crack in a seatpost or handlebar. Frames, I have seen cracks before, but not the other two, any time I have seen a failure, they are broken. Like i said before htough, its not usually from a crash, its from improper installation or user error.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I have never seen a crack in a seatpost or handlebar. Frames, I have seen cracks before, but not the other two, any time I have seen a failure, they are broken. Like i said before htough, its not usually from a crash, its from improper installation or user error.
yeah, i was referring to frames as well, so i suppose i can't really contest your original statement in the context of referring to 'parts'.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Handling of rock impacts and abrasions? BD makes ice axes with carbon shafts. Part of the testing process was the "curb test..." They go outside and bash the neck of the axe against an concrete curb 20 times as hard as they can and then test it for breaking strength. Still stronger (and lighter) than their aluminum equivalent.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
i snapped a carbon seatpost. just throwing that out there. i was bouncing up and down on the susupension and it just snapped off
That made my day.

Anyways,

No carbon bars for me. I am a 210lb guy who rides pretty hard on bikes and tends to break things.

Broke a Chris King headset in half last year as an example.

BUT... My Tomac Snyper has carbon flex stays and I have given that bike hell for all of last season with no issues. Even survived my collision with a car a month ago.

Just putting that out there...

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That made my day.

Anyways,

No carbon bars for me. I am a 210lb guy who rides pretty hard on bikes and tends to break things.

Broke a Chris King headset in half last year as an example.

BUT... My Tomac Snyper has carbon flex stays and I have given that bike hell for all of last season with no issues. Even survived my collision with a car a month ago.

Just putting that out there...
Carbon couldn't normaly break from bouncing up and down on a seatpost. It's not a valid point as if that was the case my bars would brake from flexing a thousend of times before.

The problem with this kinda view is that most ppl look at stuff like carbon vs. alu or big ass heavy stuff vs light instead of good vs. bad product. I've had heavy stuff from durable materials that broke like crap and lightweight stuff that lived true hell. Same goes for carbon vs alu debate.