Quantcast

Carbon V10

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Almost ordered one of those instead of my M9. If the M9 is too small then I will get a XL V10c
Looks great

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
who knows. the white swingarms were suppose to still be another 7 weeks out....or why they sent a 450# spring when we asked for a 500 or 550#
Or why I got an RC4 when I ordered a Vivid... Damn hippies.

JK. I'm stoked on the bike. Hopefully I'll get it built this week and head to the coast to ride by the end of the month.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Now I have to figure out where Im going to wind up weight wise on this beast.

So far build is (No pics yet)

2011 SC V10c XL 9.9lbs with shock & spring, axle and all HW.
2010 MZ 888 RC3 EVO (XHeavy spring installed, steerer barely cut at all)
Hadley hubs with 823 rims; DB Spokes.
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C tires with DH tubes (will try FR tubes, 'reg' tubes no thx)
Shimano Saint M810 Brakes
Avid G3 Clean sweep rotors 203mm
Shimano Saint SS Derailleur and Shifter
Cane Creak Angle Set headset (.5deg slack cup)
E13 ADK Cranks (165mm)
E13 Guidering 36t
E13 SRS+ 32-36t
SRAM PC970 DH Cassette (12-26)
KMC X9-SL Chain
SDG IBeam Micro Alu post (cut)
SDG Bel Air SL IBeam
Spank Spike 777 2" Rise bars
Rogue Lock ons

Ramble... Im looking around for weights; my VPFree was not built with weight in mind and is about 45lbs, Im expecting this baby to come in much lower.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Now I have to figure out where Im going to wind up weight wise on this beast.

So far build is (No pics yet)

2011 SC V10c XL 9.9lbs with shock & spring, axle and all HW.
2010 MZ 888 RC3 EVO (XHeavy spring installed, steerer barely cut at all)
Hadley hubs with 823 rims; DB Spokes.
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 3C tires with DH tubes (will try FR tubes, 'reg' tubes no thx)
Shimano Saint M810 Brakes
Avid G3 Clean sweep rotors 203mm
Shimano Saint SS Derailleur and Shifter
Cane Creak Angle Set headset (.5deg slack cup)
E13 ADK Cranks (165mm)
E13 Guidering 36t
E13 SRS+ 32-36t
SRAM PC970 DH Cassette (12-26)
KMC X9-SL Chain
SDG IBeam Micro Alu post (cut)
SDG Bel Air SL IBeam
Spank Spike 777 2" Rise bars
Rogue Lock ons
Rs

Ramble... Im looking around for weights; my VPFree was not built with weight in mind and is about 45lbs, Im expecting this baby to come in much lower.
You'd save quite a decent amount of weight going with a shimano ultegra 9sp cassette.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You could also lose quite a bit of weight by shrinking and getting a small frame. Also, have you thought about replacing all your body gasses with helium? ALso, your head is heavy. You could save weight AND save money on helmets without it. Also, who cares build the bastard and lets see it. :D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You could also lose quite a bit of weight by shrinking and getting a small frame. Also, have you thought about replacing all your body gasses with helium? ALso, your head is heavy. You could save weight AND save money on helmets without it. Also, who cares build the bastard and lets see it. :D

and also:

Derp!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
This thing is so gorgeous. Im a bike whore, and an SC slut, but this thing is the t*tz.. Ive never been more fascinated with a frame (oooh shiny). Aside from the carbon naysayers, I have been pro-carbon for some time, still rocking the 2007 Easton Monkey DH (although they are now on an AM bike) not worried.

This frame seems so massively overbuilt, a knock on the frame makes my overbuilt VPfree seem like a beer can in comparison -- this thing is thick, burly, sick, and still doesnt bring the weight!

Wow.

Pre disposed to love SC due to their long term commitment to provide me with XL bikes of high quality when otherwise good designs leave me in the cold with their tiny L frames..... but this thing is the real deal. I haven't ridden it yet, it could suck, but the feedback I see on the ride is outstanding, and the build quality is unbelievable.

Nirvana? I'll have to Séance with Kurt.

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
So is March 25th still the current estimated time of arrival for large carbon V10s?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Is the VPP linkage vastly different on the V10C over the 2010 V10? I realize shock length is different, but... it seems to present different ride characteristics.
As I rode a V10C and noticed that as I stood and pedaled the rear shock extended quite noticeably, where as I could never feel that on the previous V10.

Both bikes were mediums. Both use Vivid 5.1's. Both had the same sag for the same travel setting(10"). I'm curious if this was a desired effect or not?

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Just an FYI.

I put a little scratch in the clear coat when I was building mine up. Black nail polish works perfect as touch up on it.

Beat up an EMO kid for some.

jwhcowan

Chimp
Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for the nail polish tip, I'm sure that will come in handy.

I ordered mine on March 1st, it arrived in LA on March 17th. Size Medium.

New Carbon Havoc bars and Point One stem on the way.

2011 Boxxer WC
Hammerschmidt AM
2011 XO 10 Speed
2011 Codes
Dug out old Race Face seatpost out of RESPECT
Crank Brothers Opium wheels from old bike

Enough of the theory, it's now time to ride it and smile.

1st ride was Santa Barbara's Cold Springs and Tunnel - wooohooo

Last edited:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Thanks for the nail polish tip, I'm sure that will come in handy.

I ordered mine on March 1st, it arrived in LA on March 17th. Size Medium.

New Carbon Havoc bars and Point One stem on the way.

2011 Boxxer WC
Hammerschmidt AM
2011 XO 10 Speed
2011 Codes
Dug out old Race Face seatpost out of RESPECT
Crank Brothers Opium wheels from old bike

Enough of the theory, it's now time to ride it and smile.

1st ride was Santa Barbara's Cold Springs and Tunnel - wooohooo

How's the Vivid air feel? I was unsure whether or not to spend the extra $$ for it.

mehukatti

Chimp
Mar 2, 2011
That's what I was told 3 days ago. They'll arrive at Santa Cruz the 25th, then have to ship to shops.
Just got the word from Santa Cruz through my dealer, that the first shipment of Large frames is on the water and is expected to arrive the first week of April. So a delay of 1-2 weeks. But at least they are on the way...

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
SC recommends a 350# spring for my weight (165lbs) in the 8.5" travel mode but I'm only getting 15% sag with it.

Has anyone else had this problem or is the spring I have way outta wack? :confused:

Thanks.

jwhcowan

Chimp
Jan 14, 2011
I had the bike store build the bike, they didn't run into any installation problems. I absolutely love the HS, I haven't noticed any difference in suspension performance with or without it. What sold me was seeing that photo of the red v10 in the edge store room with the HS on it, that was the approval right there. I would recommend this setup to any v10 owner who needs to do any climbing as part of their DH experience.

crackerjack

Chimp
Mar 29, 2011
SC recommends a 350# spring for my weight (165lbs) in the 8.5" travel mode but I'm only getting 15% sag with it.

Has anyone else had this problem or is the spring I have way outta wack? :confused:

Thanks.
Hi. I have exactly 215 LBS and I tried out the 8,5 inch setup. if I wanna ride it with 28 mm sag on the hub I have to take a 400. It feels not very firm but if you ride slower it feels awesome. switching to a 450 spring *recommended by sc webside* I have 26 mm sag on the hub. slower rides are not very nice cause it is too progressive BUT as soon as you push your super pursuite mode and start riding the more progressive way it is an unbeatable machine. But I prefer the 10 inch setup cause I love the HUUUGE travel. tried out 450 / seems perfect to me , have 28 mm sag on the hub but sometimes when I push it tooo hard the BB is too low and I hit twice a rock with the bb. 2 new real scratches in the carbon, **** , but it is a bike and not a girl. wanna try out the 500 spring cause SC recommends it for my weight. think it will be good. tried out a 550 but I had only 24 mm sag on the hub and it was horrible to ride. I felt like a passanger on my bike. so harsh, tooo firm and I maybe used 190/200 mm of the travel.

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
Just got the word from Santa Cruz through my dealer, that the first shipment of Large frames is on the water and is expected to arrive the first week of April. So a delay of 1-2 weeks. But at least they are on the way...
Has anyone got any news on that shipment of larges?

TimB.

Chimp
Apr 5, 2011
I gotta ask the same question as Tom, where are these bikes? I ordered a Large white/ Gold V10 in December and am getting a little tired of waiting.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I gotta ask the same question as Tom, where are these bikes? I ordered a Large white/ Gold V10 in December and am getting a little tired of waiting.
A shop in Denver just told me 4 weeks and that was from their December order. Jeebus.

Does Turner have any DHR's? :D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I wish you all sppeedy delivery. Ive had mine for a few weeks, but its waiting on some parts... and someone who doesnt suck at pic's so I can post it.

Where the heck is Arava?!....

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I wish you all sppeedy delivery. Ive had mine for a few weeks, but its waiting on some parts... and someone who doesnt suck at pic's so I can post it.

Where the heck is Arava?!....
Don't you feel like its too small for you? I've sat on a few friends' XL's and I thought they were smaller than a some large frames.

tom

Chimp
Mar 17, 2011
If you look at the original press release:
http://www.nsmb.com/3782-santa-cruz-carbon-v10
you see that originally they planned for only 3 sizes. The large was designed "so that the Syndicate riders (the smallest is Josh Bryceland I at 6’2”) could ride it".
That size is now called XL and the L was added later.

Apparently so late that they couldn't produce it on time. I don't know if I am right, but this seems like 1. working with carbon and 2. producing overseas is a huge organisational challenge for such a small company.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Maybe the larger sizes. The M defo felt larger than my Legend
Ya look at the WB, only 47.9 inches. My xl is a hair over 50. A a large TR450 is 47.5, a Large demo 8 is 47.7, Large legend is 47.3. It seems like more companies are renaming their large an XL and just making the medium and large sizes sort of "inbetweener" sizes. Probably a good deal for 99% of people but not for us freaks :(.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The L was added later.

Apparently so late that they couldn't produce it on time.
I don't think any Smalls have arrived either. Besides, they have delivered large frames in the form of the complete team replica bikes. Last I heard there are still 2 of those sitting at SC waiting to be snatched up. There's definitely some quirkiness going on in production though. Remember this color? (wanted bad)

It was supposed to be the fourth available color but they said there were problems with the white paint on carbon so no white front end.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Don't you feel like its too small for you? I've sat on a few friends' XL's and I thought they were smaller than a some large frames.
Ive sat on just about every L frame ever in my proximity - nothing comes anywhere near feeling (Being) as big as the XL. It does have a significantly lower stack, I've got 1" spacer under top crown to bring it up, but it's still lower than my VPF front end -- 2" risers en route.

All the comments ive heard or read on sizing between V10 model years says the new L is notably larger than the Alu L - its no tucked in after thought.

the XL is about 1/4 longer in reach than the VPF, just slightly bigger than my 06 XL VPFree (you have one yes?) and Ive never found anything close to that. I still havent check the DHR XL but the numbers run smaller, and thats as close as Ive been to one so far.

Last edited: