Carbon Wheels?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Heya
I'm still looking for exotic bits for my bikes, and found these:
Trispoke carbon wheels
on auction (remember, thats aussie peso's, looks costly but its 1/3rd retail price right now)

what are these like? i'd most likely put 1inch slicks on them for street riding, and only race them occasionally (want them for the looks :D i'm a showoff :p)
but are they something to stay away from?
i'm relatively big (87~ kgs) and ride hard when i want to,
but on that note, from road+track racing, i can ride really smooth, so i doubt i'd smash them up
but anyone have opinions for mainly road use, and light offroad?

and then, there are these spinergy's which are obviously more common... any major issues with these as well?

thanks alot
-Rik

G

gravity

i'd go with spinergy, never heard of trispoke, and the wheel had a road cluster on it, indicating to me that someone who spent that much money on it intended to use it for road but is trying to flog them off as mtb wheels.

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
The tri-spokes pictured closely resemble Spins, but not exactly. Maybe they bought some of the prototype molds from Spin or versa-vice.

Anyways, the spins I've ridden rode horribly! The space between the spokes would flex under load (87 kg would qualify). You could tell exactly where the spokes where when riding. It kinda felt like an uneven road surface.

I'd stick with some other flashy wheels if style is what you're after. The new SPOX by Spinergys are great looking wheels. You can get the spokes in different colors. Yellow, Red, Blue, Black. I haven't seen green yet. I'm still waiting for orange as well!

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I have heard of trispoke - the reason I believe that those wheels have never seen dirt is that they are the 26" for triathalon bikes. You will note that our man has a road cassette (look suspiciously like Dura Ace or Campy) installed. I don't believe that trispoke ever made a off-road version of their wheels. Might want to check their website.

Dosen't matter - reserve has been met. Was it you that bought them?