Quantcast

Carpal Tunner

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have had this pain in my left palm off and on for a couple months. It doesn't hurt to ride, just to lift things or stretch my fingers out. It hurts the worst when I lift weights...like doing a bicep curl - it feels like the tendon is ripping out of my hand. It is visibly swollen and tingles a lot. Anyone had carpal tunnel or know about it? I thought that was in your forearm and wrists?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
golgiaparatus said:
Sounds like a nerve thing... maybe you should go see a doc?
Did you do anything to your hand or wrist in the last few days, have a wreck, etc, etc?
No wreck - it's been hurting for awhile, hurts the most to lift weights.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
splat said:
Is this on the same arm that has the elbow you keep abusing ?
You callin me an elbow beater? Nope, other one.

Maybe it's from the massive weights I'm lifting. LOL

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Heidi said:
No wreck - it's been hurting for awhile, hurts the most to lift weights.

I had something similar where it hurt, and my pinkey would get numb... I switched to Specialized "body Geometry" gloves (with strategic padding) and it went away in a few weeks.
Oh.. and I used them at the gym too.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
i had carpal tunnel. can you pinch things with that hand? like i noticed it was hard for me to pick up a paper clip because i couldn't make my fingers go together. i never had any swelling - and the tingling was in my whole hand and buzzing up my arm. i had no grip and it would wake me up in the night. they injected it with cortisone (OUCH) and when that didn't work, they did a nerve conduction study. finally i had the surgery.

they first thought it was tendonitis - but it didn't respond to the meds. you could have pulled something in there. or you could have pinched a nerve higher up your arm, even in your shoulder.

but i am not a doctor so i'm not diagnosing!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
bigginsis said:
i had carpal tunnel. can you pinch things with that hand? like i noticed it was hard for me to pick up a paper clip because i couldn't make my fingers go together. i never had any swelling - and the tingling was in my whole hand and buzzing up my arm. i had no grip and it would wake me up in the night. they injected it with cortisone (OUCH) and when that didn't work, they did a nerve conduction study. finally i had the surgery.

they first thought it was tendonitis - but it didn't respond to the meds. you could have pulled something in there. or you could have pinched a nerve higher up your arm, even in your shoulder.

but i am not a doctor so i'm not diagnosing!
No, I can grip things fine...doesn't even hurt to ride at all. Sounds painful though! OK - I don't think I have carpal tunnel then. I may have just pulled a tendon or nerve or something.

Thanks.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
I have carpel as well. It manifests itself with pain at night, waking up to a hot crushing type of feeling in the lower arm and hand, and numbness durring the day in the thumb. forefinger and half (one side) of the fok-off finger. When I looked into it after a doc brought up surgery I found bad news. 1/3rd of the folks who have the procedure will be "cured", 1/3 will experiance TEMPORARY relief and 1/3rd will experiance painfull grip after surgery. Dont like the odds myself. When I used to lift, I found that straps helped a bit. Ya just gotta watch activities or grips that inflame the nerve bundle...sorry to haer about your problem, its a real drag for cyclists. The test they give ya at the doc is a real drag as well......

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
yeah - i still have a lot of weakness in my hand and sometimes if i've been working in the yard or putting a lot of stress on it, it will ache so bad. i don't regret doing it because the pain, although it's different, isn't as bad as it was prior to the surgery.
i bought those grips that climbers use that let you work your whole hand or just one or two fingers at a time and they help with strength.
anyway, at least it wasn't my dominate hand...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I've had the beginnings of what I believe to be carpal tunnel. I worked for years counting money at a restaurant and Disneyland, plus having to the normal hand-type stuff in the restaurant. After suffering through the pain of using a 10-key, I sucked it up and just stopped doing everything that upset my wrists. The numbness and pain have subsided enough that it usually only happens when I'm not paying attention to how I'm using them. There was some good advice about gloves above.

Lifting weights can be a tough thing to do. Thanks to my wrists, I can only do knuckle pushups and wide grip pullups. Life could be worse though, right?

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Way back when I was in construction, I worked with a big ol guy people used to call Little Jim... Nice guy, strong as an ox, but not too bright. He picked up Carpel while working on timber walls...Days and days of swingin a sledge hammer. He gets it in both hands real bad real fast. He decides to get the op and goes for BOTH HANDS AT THE SAME TIME...I cant believe the doc didnt say something...maybe he did...But the end result was Jimbo havin his ass wiped by his girfriend for 2 weeks..."Dante, I never held in a dump for that long in my life!"... The look on his face was priceless, I almost died from laughing so hard....