Quantcast

Cell phone/plan advice

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Here's the deal, yo. Currently on AT&T with a Motorola Q and unlimited everything plan with 3G for $95/mo. When I first signed up almost 2 years ago, it was the nuts. Now it's meh. Service has been great as far as ability to make calls/internet access where I go, but 4 gripes:

1) Phone is slow as shyte and randomly turns off occasionally
2) Internet is painfully slow most of the time. Is it the service or the phone?
3) Screen is way too small for viewing
4) Expensive

Now that I temporarily don't have internet service at home, I need GOOD internet access and viewing capabilities more than ever, especially since I need 24/7 access while dealing with buying a house.

I'm looking into 2 options:

Option 1:
Stick with this plan and simply upgrade my phone to a 32gb iPhone. Should solve problems 1 and 3, and maybe 2? No more Windows Mobile, which is good because as far as I can tell, it sucks. No dealing with cancelling/activating, either. Can I get a 3GS iPhone with my existing plan? What's the difference?

Option 2:
Ditch this plan and switch to something else. Right now, t-mobile with Motorola CLIQ phone looks appealing. Monthly cost would be $20 less than what I pay now, and my brother works for t-mobile so he can try to cut costs somehow. Only thing that sucks is cancellation fee with AT&T ($175). The phone looks pretty frickin' sweet, and who doesn't like new sweet doodads? Blackberry is a possibility, too.

Thoughts?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Service

What service I'd recommend depends on where you live, how much you travel.

If you travel a lot to remote/rural areas, Verizon hands down.

If you never leave a major metro/urban area, AT&T or T-Mobile is fine.

Look down the road as well: Verizon is currently slated to be one of the first carriers in the US to roll out 4G (broadband speeds to phonez), and they seem to be more or less on schedule.

Devices

Are you looking solely at smartphones? It seems so.

AT&T: iPhone or Blackberry, pick your poison

Verizon: Blackberry. The new Droid looks very sweet, seems to be the first true competitor to the iPhone. Early reports is that they sold around 100,000 in the first weekend. Not too shabby. A few first gen gripes, but they are primarily software issues that will probably be addressed shortly. (see the "these aren't the droids you're looking for" thread for more info on the droid).

HTC also has some good devices on Verizon

T-mobile: Not too familiar with what they offer. BB I'm sure.

What features/functions are you looking for in a smartphone?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
efficient internet, work/personal email, text messaging, ability to at least view excel/word/PDF docs are necessary

GPS, good music/video player, decent camera would be a bonus

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So yea, any of my recommendations would hold: iPhone, BB, or Droid.

Droid is only one with free built in TBT gps.

Exchange can be quirky on the droid and iPhonefrom what I've heard, but *should* handle work email. BB is the only one that is sure fire for work email.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I never had any problems with Exchange on my iPhone. At my last job, I lived on Exchange - my calendar ran my life (was constantly being updated throughout the day) and my email was a perpetual flow of communication. I had it set to push calendar updates and email, and always got stuff quickly, with no problems.

Question is, do you have an AT&T store nearby where you can actually try out the web browsing? Are you in a 3G area? When the 3G iPhone came out, data plans went up by ten bucks a month, but that didn't guarantee you 3G speeds - just meant if you hit a 3G area, you'd get it.

I'm in Raleigh right now and I get superb 3G coverage everywhere in the city and surrounding area with AT&T. With a lot of other areas though, and with Droid out now, I'd look very seriously at Verizon.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm trying to find out if I can simply upgrade my phone to a 32gb iPhone and stick with my current plan......but it doesn't seem to be an option?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm trying to find out if I can simply upgrade my phone to a 32gb iPhone and stick with my current plan......but it doesn't seem to be an option?
When you log into your AT&T "My Wireless" account, under Quick Links you should see a "Check Upgrade Options."

If you can't find it online, just give them a call.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When you log into your AT&T "My Wireless" account, under Quick Links you should see a "Check Upgrade Options."

If you can't find it online, just give them a call.
That's where I was. It lets me pick the phone, then it takes me to the "plan options", where it says "To use your existing plan, choose 'use existing plan'".........but that option is nowhere to be found....It's like their forcing me to sign up for another 2 year contract.

Why do they make this shyte so confusing?:rant:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
That's where I was. It lets me pick the phone, then it takes me to the "plan options", where it says "To use your existing plan, choose 'use existing plan'".........but that option is nowhere to be found....

Why do they make this shyte so confusing?:rant:
The AT&T wireless website is completely useless for that purpose. I went through the exact same confusing headache when converting my plan into a family plan. I would speak to someone over the phone or better yet do it in person at an AT&T wireless store. We did the latter and had it all set up within a span of five minutes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's like their forcing me to sign up for another 2 year contract.
Yes, they are. That's why.

The iPhone is a serious piece of hardware, like any of the current breed of smartphones. That means that making it affordable means AT&T needs to subsidize it. So they need to lock you into a contract to make it worth their while.

You could buy one straight-out off eBay or something and activate it but it's going to be expensive.