Quantcast

Cell phone reviews for Bay Area???

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have had Cingular for the past 4 years and I am wondering what other options there are, I am happy for the most part but with every company switching over to GSM I was wondering what other monkey's have experienced?

please tell me who you use, how long you have had service and where you do and don't get coverage, etc. I am not concerned with rate plans because service/coverage override any cost IMO. thanks in advance!!! :D

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
At&t has treated me pretty good for about 3 or 4 years now. I guess Cingular has or is going to buy them, which is supposed to make both of their services get better. As far as where I do and dont get service, there is a hole in Redwood city and parts of Santa Clara where I dont get the best service, but it's pretty good every where else, and works good in Tahoe where some others are lacking. You might want to see if you can get a free phone that gets both TDMA ( AT&T's freq.) and GSM in exchange for signing up for a contract renewal, that way you get the best of both.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have heard good things about AT&T's TDMA network but I have heard nothing but bad things about their attempt at GSM. But now that Cingular (SBC) has acquired them I am sure the network will grow. I need a phone for business and it has to work as much as possible, with Cingular I have had troubles with coverage and "system busy" ie; network overload. I also hear Verizon is good but I don't know about their intentions to implement GSM or not? I really prefer Nokia handsets but will consider others as well. Thanks for your info! anybody else???

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
Sprint was cool - 3 years ago... now they suck-ass. They're rates are not competitive, their service is very poor (except in heavy metro areas) and their phones are very expensive.

I look forward to switching to Verizon shortly. In my comparisons, Verizon seems to be the best.

-B

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Do you know Verizon's long term plans, are they going to go to GSM? I know they have the best coverage right know but in 2005 (last I heard) there is an FCC mandate about all broadcasts being digital and I think GSM makes the most sense for cellular networks. Verizon's good coverage is because their old analog network is still in place and with a dual-mode phone you switch to analog from CDMA (I believe) digital. I have been leaning towards Verizon, but I like Cingular.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
Remember, today's phones operate on a digital signal unless you specify otherwise. Most of the time the analog signal is used for urgent phone calls. There should be an "Analog" display when you are actually using the analong service, because most companies now charge extra (roaming) for the use of analog service (I know Sprint does), even in local areas. Also, most phones are default to operate on digital-only signals.

Verizon is one of the few companies that does not require a 2 year contract, you can get by with just a 1 year. Also, their rates and options are better overall than Cingular. The big benefit for Cingular is the "rollover" minutes.

Hope this helps.

-Brad

samich457

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Stinkin Lincoln
Also been a Cingular user for years. With them buying AT&T things are only going to get better. My best friend Jason is the Western Regional manager for Cingular. If anyone has any questions about rates,coverage, changes, or getting a phone I can hook you up with getting ahold of him. Hes a fellow FR/DH rider also.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I actually was a sales rep for Pac. Bell wireless (now Cigular) a few years ago in San Jose. I got really lucky, I sold a phone to just about everybody who moved to SJ during the boom. I cleaned up pretty good and moved on. But I kept the phone and still have it. It is looking like I will keep it longer now.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
If you're with Cingular, just keep them. In terms of reception, I think verizon is still probably the best around here, but AT&T came in second. Sprint sucks (what I have), but Cingular was worse at one point. My friends never got reception each time they walked into the house (different houses mind you). I think it's getting better for them though. They were able to call out of Hollister last time in the middle of nowhere.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Hollister has good signal strength now, I was down there last weekend and it worked good. The pop. there is up to over 37K! It is larger than Morgan Hill now! Does anybody know what Verizon's plans for the future are????