Quantcast

Chain Effect On Suspension

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
This article mentions the O-Chain device becoming popular on the WC DH circuit and describes a couple patents Fox is persuing to eliminate the effect of chain growth on suspension.
https://bikerumor.com/patent-patrol-fox-factorys-suspension-enhancing-hub-and-derailleur-assembly/
It seems that at DH speeds the chain can't grow fast enough to engage the pawls, or just barely, and if you're in a tall gear that's not enough to tug at the cranks. I genuinely don't think "pedal kickback" is a thing if:
1. You frame doesn't have massive chain growth.
2. You're going faster than 15ish mph.
3. You're in a tall gear.

I think the annoying sound and vibration of chain slap is the only detriment to ride quality caused by my the drivetrain. I'm usually very sensitive to sensations while riding so I'd be surprised if I'm missing something here. Who's wrong, me or these engineers at Fox and a handful of WC DHers? (or are those guys just not in the right gear?)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
To be fair, there's a lot of track sections that aren't "that" fast, plus it sorta doesn't take into account the effect of a wheel that is locked up and skidding or at least under braking so that it might lock and spin as it moves through chunder..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This article mentions the O-Chain device becoming popular on the WC DH circuit and describes a couple patents Fox is persuing to eliminate the effect of chain growth on suspension.
https://bikerumor.com/patent-patrol-fox-factorys-suspension-enhancing-hub-and-derailleur-assembly/
It seems that at DH speeds the chain can't grow fast enough to engage the pawls, or just barely, and if you're in a tall gear that's not enough to tug at the cranks. I genuinely don't think "pedal kickback" is a thing if:
1. You frame doesn't have massive chain growth.
2. You're going faster than 15ish mph.
3. You're in a tall gear.

I think the annoying sound and vibration of chain slap is the only detriment to ride quality caused by my the drivetrain. I'm usually very sensitive to sensations while riding so I'd be surprised if I'm missing something here. Who's wrong, me or these engineers at Fox and a handful of WC DHers? (or are those guys just not in the right gear?)

But the placebo effect is real.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I just want to get my cassette off my hub without having to pry it off, then file down the splines so I can get it back on.

Think O-Chan can help solve for that?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just want to get my cassette off my hub without having to pry it off, then file down the splines so I can get it back on.

Think O-Chan can help solve for that?
Welcome to 2012.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Throw a sprag clutch in there and some directional bearings and pretty soon we'll all be riding coaster brakes again.

It's a bicycle for fucks sake.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I watched an interview with Gee the other day and he basically said that they don't use the o-chain device outside of racing. And even then some of their team don't care for it.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
I agree with Team Robot’s thoughts on what the O-chain device actually does.

Last question in this link:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I agree with Team Robot’s thoughts on what the O-chain device actually does.

Last question in this link:
You mean the "I don't really know"? :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So if I drop my bike from being hand held like 2 feet off the air, drop it, and when it hits the ground, and the pedals/cranks spin backwards...that's not pedal kickback?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So if I drop my bike from being hand held like 2 feet off the air, drop it, and when it hits the ground, and the pedals/cranks spin backwards...that's not pedal kickback?
It is, and you may feel it doing a trials like drop without forward motion. But generally you are moving forward, move fast enough and there is no kick back.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
STI:

Yes :-) … But more the part about allowing the top portion of the chain to grow.

That said, it’s still a $ extracting device for fools.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It is, and you may feel it doing a trials like drop without forward motion. But generally you are moving forward, move fast enough and there is no kick back.
Also if you weigh more than a chihuahua.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That too. Kickback can actually give you free forward propulsion, so it isn't exactly always bad. But some princesses don't want the feel that pea.
Imagine how good it could be if you fitted an O-Chain backwards to pre-load the kickback. :brows:

The fact that OChain are also trying to sell the benefits of their product to Ebike owners who already have a freewheel in their cranks should tell you just how full of shit they really are.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This shit has existed for a LOOOOONG time in the street motorcycle world in the form of cush drive hubs. The purpose for it is slightly different however. The load reversals from accel to decel and back on pavement backdriving from the wheel through the sprocket, then chain, then countershaft sprocket, etc would end up putting some nice hammering loads into the countershaft sprocket splines, the transmission gear tooth faces and also the clutch basket. Over the higher mileages found on street bikes, there was accelerated wear anywhere that was seeing that load reversal. Rather than toughen up everything in that load path and still subject it to ugly loading, the alternative was to work in isolators at the hub that gave a very small degree of rotational lash damping. Clutch baskets also ended up having rubber cushions between their housing and the ring gear that were riveted in place as a secondary protection for the whole transmission (the external element would of course dry out or fail to get maintained over time).

Same monkey, new circus.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
they only spin backward because it's impossible for them to spin forward..
cue in the centre hub

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That too. Kickback can actually give you free forward propulsion, so it isn't exactly always bad. But some princesses don't want the feel that pea.
Don’t you ride a Spesh Westy? Go watch Gwin on You Tube Chainless Run.

Avy