Quantcast

chain skip

swanny

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
SFV. CA.
I've been experiencing chain skip only when I really torque on my cranks and it's getting on my nerves. I've had the bike in to see the LBS for tune-up and it still skips? I have all LX Mega 9 components, and changed two chains, middle chain ring, all cables, and front derailer(some unrelated). It happens in all gears under max torque. Can anyone help? please?

Thanks in advance. :help:

swanny

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
SFV. CA.
Bent or cracked derailleur hanger or the bolt that holds the derailleur to the hanger. The sort of behavior that drives you nuts until the stressed part finally fails...

Thanks Johnbryanpeters, I think that might be it! I have a real problem with the hanger always bending and currently have been rotating between two bent hangers(using the least twisted of the two).
I have one on order so it well get replaced soon.

Thanks again.

swanny

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
SFV. CA.
dude maybe you have a tight link, especially when preassure is layed on it, it would skip all around, check for that.
Andi, Thanks for the suggestion on the chain. I have a new chain as of last week and well check it out.

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
did you get two new chains because of wear or breakage? chain and cassete often wear together. so usually i get one cassette out of two chains, if i run the chains for only around 1000m and replace as soon as they are stretched, if you run your cassette after chain is strethed you wear it to chain faster and run the risk of skipping. most likely it is a worn cassette but check der hanger first as that is cheaper option
steve