Quantcast

chain tensioner for vertical dropouts?

Jul 30, 2007
CT
Well I'm going to Single Speed my 05 chase 3, and have been told by one bike shop I need a chain tensioner for vertical dropouts, which I understand, the other one told me, no you don't need one, instead a 1/2 link chain is what I need.

So couple questions.
1) do I need a chain tensioner? if so what kind?
2) should I get a new chain? if so is 1/2 link good or get heavy duty chain?
3) Which single speed kit should I get?

(I'm not looking for the best just something that will work until new bike)

What i can get right now to Single Speed my bike is:

Spacers
Surly tensioner
Use the cog from my 8-speed
Use old chain and shorten

OR

Wait a week for a Surly SS cog
Rennen chain tensioner
Gusset SS kit
New SS or 1/2 link Chain

What is best choose for temporary use till a get new bike?

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
A half link may work, but your mechanic better be damn good at determining exactly what size rings will work ok for you. My suggestion is to get the chain tensioner. Out of all the ones on the market my personal fav is the Rennen Rollengager.

As for actually converting the rear hub to SS, the spacer method works just fine but will eventualy ruin the freehub body to an extent (i.e. it carves into the splines, you can fix them a bit by filing them down but eventually you'd have to get a new one if you want to keep everything nice and tight). Just the same though, this type of damage takes a while to happen and if you've got a cheaper Shimano hub that a freehub body would only cost $25-75 then just use spacers. If it's a more expensive King or Hadley or whatnot, it's still not a awful route to go, but if you ever wanted to replace the freehub it's a bit pricier.

If you went with a Surly SS hub (or any other SS MTB hub) you'd eliminate the freehub problem, but you'd also be limited to both the size of and quality of the engagement of whatever freewheel you put on. Smallest ones you can generally find are 15t or 16t. Not a big deal if you don't mind running a 28t-36t front ring. But keep in mind most freewheel won't engage as fast as say a King freehub body (if that matters to you).

I know that's a bit confusing, but I hope it helps.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
A Rennen or DMR tensioner (DMR's are almost exactly like the rennen but about 1/2 the price), spacer kit and a decent SS cog are all you should need. Jenson is selling a DMR kit (tensioner and cog) for around $50....

_James_

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
oakland
Use an old derailleur, they have the strongest springs of any of these. plus you wont have to buy anything. just adjust the limit scres to where you want the chain line. OR, cut a cmall piece of cable (a few inches) and put that in the derailleur and tension it with the barrel adjuster.

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
you should try running singlespeed without tensionner, buy one if you really have to. im running my STP 16/32 without tensionner. I use to ride with a Rennen but it keep loosing tension whatever how hard i tighten those bolts

Jul 30, 2007
CT
i decided to order this:
Rennen tensioner
Rennen 15t SS cog (running 15/36)
Rennen adjustable spacer kit

but order doesn't go out until Tuesday so any changes?

skiplie

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
the 15/36 is a bit high for 26" wheels, I would consider going to atleast 16 if not 17 in the back. I run a 12/25 and it feels perfect, any higher would make it pretty hard to pedal.