Quantcast

Chainguide?

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
After an embarrassing chainsuck incident that occurred after a sequence of jumps at the local DJ park this weekend, and also left me crouching over my bike for about 30 min as I pried my chain away from the derailleur, chainring, and frame :disgust: , I am considering a chainguide for my 2x9 setup (which I would like to keep for at least the moment).

Anyone have any experience any good options out there, that won't break the bank? I was looking up the E-13 DRS and Blackspire Dewlie, but they are a little out of my budget at the moment, at least until I find a summer job. I also have Saint double cranks, if that has any difference (as I heard somewhere that some guides don't fit well with Saints).

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I'm going to be runing a E13 LG-1 on my BottleRocket.

But, if you're just hitting jumps and riding park or street, I would really consider running a SS setup.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
look at getting an mrp lrp, they are cheap and will hold your chain just as well as a DRS. the dewlie might be an exception, those look like really well designed guides. check out the guide on wickedracin.com, they might have something good going.

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
But, if you're just hitting jumps and riding park or street, I would really consider running a SS setup.
I hit the DJ park and do a little urban assualt when I am bored and can't make it to the trails. Since my current bike needs to serve all purposes (XC, DJ, FR, and a little DH), I want to stay with the dual ring set up in front. Might switch to SS when I save up enough for a Bottlerocket or Preston... :wait:

kalNhobbs

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Portland, Orygun!
check out the guide on wickedracin.com, they might have something good going.
Hey! :D That was pretty cool. Too bad I would probably have issues with clearance with my rear tire though... I already had to slightly modify my front derailleur.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think i am going to try the Blackspire Stinger, since it's only $25 :brow:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I hit the DJ park and do a little urban assualt when I am bored and can't make it to the trails. Since my current bike needs to serve all purposes (XC, DJ, FR, and a little DH), I want to stay with the dual ring set up in front. Might switch to SS when I save up enough for a Bottlerocket or Preston... :wait:
Go 2 speed then. 33x20 for XC & FR and 36x17 for DJ, street and DH. It's the same length chain and very close to the same CS length. Should be a fine gear ratio for 26" wheels.

At the very least I would go one rine up front unless you are doing long distant XC rides. A 32 up front w/ a 11/34 rear 9 speed cluster should be fine for most climbs.