Quantcast

Chainguides

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I have a MRP G2 full size guide on my Session 88 and a MiniG2 on my Remedy. This year I managed to break lower guide plates on both, and bend the backplates (the plate that bolts up to the iscg tabs) on both as well. The backplate on my Session has been bent and re-bent a few times and now needs to be replaced.

Any opinions on what to do? Not sure I want to buy new backplates if other brands of guides might hold up better, and the backplates aren't listed for sale separately on MRP's website...

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i doubt youll see much of a difference with others.

ive owned both MRP and E*thirteen , and tbh, both brands have performed flawless for me.

but maybe get a bashguard instead of the taco style ?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
You could try a Gamut. You take it out of the box and you think there is no way the bashguard is going to take any abuse as it's pretty thin, but my own and a few mates guides have held up really well to some pretty decent hits.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
i doubt youll see much of a difference with others.

ive owned both MRP and E*thirteen , and tbh, both brands have performed flawless for me.

but maybe get a bashguard instead of the taco style ?
Bashguard might be the way to go, doesn't look any heavier either.

The straitline's aluminum bash puts it out of contention, so does the neon green sliders.

I found an e13 SRS for $92.50, might have to go with that... probably cheaper than replacing the backplate on the mrp, plus mrp charges $45 for a new taco and mine has seen some abuse...

The Gamut looks fine but is more $$$

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
You could try a Gamut. You take it out of the box and you think there is no way the bashguard is going to take any abuse as it's pretty thin, but my own and a few mates guides have held up really well to some pretty decent hits.
I've beat the living crap out of Gamut bashguard for years and have yet to break one.

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
I smash my chainduide lower pulley all the time so i end up breaking off the lower pulley wheel in a couple ride so i stopped with e13. the straitline is the best guides i have used except when i do hit the lower slider i have to adjust the chain guide back plate so the lower slider doesn't contact the chain stay

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The Straightline Alum bash is very strong. I've smoked mine pretty good a few times. It's a little hacked up now, but still straight and running strong. I broke my Gamut plastic bash ring with about equivalent abuse.

As for the sliders, you can get different colours. I opted for red.

As I always say, the Straightline has no moving parts! All my buddies have destroyed their LG1s, lots parts to their LG1s, have noisy LG1s, I broke the taco off of my LG1...

I get that they're light (?), but just over complicated.

I should get a free lifetime supply for my Straighline kudos train...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I hate the way aluminum bashguards feel when they're sliding over rocks. And by sliding I mean the exact opposite of that, they catch.

That SRS sounds like a winner. I've had a couple, they've been awesome.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The Straightline Alum bash is very strong. I've smoked mine pretty good a few times. It's a little hacked up now, but still straight and running strong. I broke my Gamut plastic bash ring with about equivalent abuse.

As for the sliders, you can get different colours. I opted for red.

As I always say, the Straightline has no moving parts! All my buddies have destroyed their LG1s, lots parts to their LG1s, have noisy LG1s, I broke the taco off of my LG1...

I get that they're light (?), but just over complicated.

I should get a free lifetime supply for my Straighline kudos train...
2nd that opinion and yes I'm a silent guide preacher too. This year in morzine I managed to loose 2 bolts that hold the bash/chainring and I still had no problems with my chain falling off. Even though the bash looked to be bent sideways when I screwed it back in it was like new (with a few scratches).
I've been using mine for 2 seasons now and I'm still to change the sliders.

It is also very light. Acording to sicklines weights it is only a few grams heavier than a 2010 lg1+ with taco (and straitline with bash).

Hab - I never noticed any catching and I've been 2 times for a week in maribor on mine which meant I was grinding that rockgarden harder than a stripper pole.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I got the straitline silent guide,at first I thaught it was a bad idea seeing how theres really no ajustability.

I've never had an ishue with it,it always holds the chain,it makes zero noise and its peanuts setting it up./

I recomend straitline guides.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've tried basically every major full-enclosed guide on the market (meaning no G2's, no LG1's). I have managed to mess up close to every part of every chainguide I've used, rollers, bent boomerangs, broken bashrings, cracked bashrings, mushed bashrings, you name it. The only one I'm using from now on is the Straightline guide.

You can get it in colors besides Kawi green, including regular black.

My current bike is a 9" travel rear end with a 13" BB in it's slackest setting. So it hits sh!t. A lot. The one side of the bashgaurd looks like total hell after a year of use, but has yet to bend or develop hairlines. The whole guide except the sliders is 7000 series Al, and the bash is either 1/8" or 3/16" thick. It's fvcking burly. I have heard some LOUD noises coming from that guide while bottoming through rockgardens and it never flinched.

Never had a problem "catching" or "sliding" over rocks with it, or any chainguide for that matter. As far as I'm concerned that's not really a performance criteria since it's likely going to upset the bike anyway and you'll be losing speed regardless.

No moving parts, light, sturdiest thing I've tried yet, perfect fit, looks clean Hope they don't stop making those because I'm not going to stop buying them as I build new bikes.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up with a Sunline V1 guide for the dh bike. It was $40 on chainlove, so this saves some cash for other things, like the pedal I just bent.

I am definitely going for the Straitline 32t guide for my trail bike though... should be very, very light and offer better clearance than a guide for 32-36t front rings.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone know whats chainguide has the "least" drag. Are there any that are significantly worse or better than others? This new project I'm building up will be a bit more pedaling centric.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
all of the MRP's that ive used have a lot less drag and noise then all of the E13's ive used. my Gamut P30 is also relatively quiet too

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ya I've got an mrp on the big bike. Seems pretty good. I've only used an e-13 before, but that was on a bike like 5 years ago, so I can't really remember.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I ended up with a Sunline V1 guide for the dh bike. It was $40 on chainlove, so this saves some cash for other things, like the pedal I just bent.
Please give us a follow-up after some abuse. I followed Jason's development of this guide and eagerly awaited its release . . . and then the project got killed. It and the Syncros guides were the only ones with spring-loaded lowers. Am curious to know how it actaully holds up over time.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got an e.13 LG1+ on my trail bike. It makes a very little bit of noise, but there's no noticeable drag at the pedals at all.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
You can buy replacement parts direcetly from MRP or CRC man, I own the same 2 guides you speak of and a Lopes and I smash **** off them all the time. Just replace the parts and be thankful it wasnt a piece of your frame or your foot. I cant see how any other guide would be unbreakable or better.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I cant see how any other guide would be unbreakable or better.
I can.

The design of the G2 backplate is ****. G2mini is a little better, but with the G2 there is too much material removed between the points where the taco bolts to the backplate, which is why mine bent with only normal use. They could also use 7075 aluminum, like straitline, which is 2x as strong.

The lower guide plates are too exposed and I've broke mine 2x.

The lower guide plate is held on by a bolt that can be too easily overtorqued. This design is complete crap. I'm a ME, and I could design a better... and maybe slightly more expensive... lower guide in a day.

The lower guide plate of my g2 mini is also held on by a small machine screw from the backside... well, the screw's head is too small to catch the channel in the backplate and hence doesn't offer the structural support needed. I broke them...

The lower roller's bearing was completely clogged with mud at one point. Not sealed well enough.

Sorry, but IMO, the MRP G2's design needs some further refinement.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I can.

The design of the G2 backplate is ****. G2mini is a little better, but with the G2 there is too much material removed between the points where the taco bolts to the backplate, which is why mine bent with only normal use. They could also use 7075 aluminum, like straitline, which is 2x as strong.

The lower guide plates are too exposed and I've broke mine 2x.

The lower guide plate is held on by a bolt that can be too easily overtorqued. This design is complete crap. I'm a ME, and I could design a better... and maybe slightly more expensive... lower guide in a day.

The lower guide plate of my g2 mini is also held on by a small machine screw from the backside... well, the screw's head is too small to catch the channel in the backplate and hence doesn't offer the structural support needed. I broke them...

The lower roller's bearing was completely clogged with mud at one point. Not sealed well enough.

Sorry, but IMO, the MRP G2's design needs some further refinement.
all of your problems sound more than "normal" use if youre breaking the G2 so much. hell my Revolt broke before my G2 Mini did. the G2 and G2Mini are also identical besides for chainring capacity btw.
and over torquing something is not the mfg's fault, its your fault.
if you could design something in a day, we'd all love to see it :rolleyes:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Gamut is to chainguides as Thomson is to seatposts...............simple, elegant, light, reliable.........perfection. I've run the same Gamut P-30 on my Demo for the past 3 seasons. The back plate, top guide and roller are original and function like the day it was brand new. I have replaced the bashguard, but only because the original was getting kinda ratty looking. For close (within 30 grams) to the same weight as the lightest Taco'd guides you get a full bash guard. Its one of those things that once its setup you can ride and forget about it.

I have seen several buddies have issues with their MRP's. I have original LG-1 on my other bike and it has been great too, although I have replace the roller and other pieces a few times.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Gamut is to chainguides as Thomson is to seatposts...............simple, elegant, light, reliable.........perfection. I've run the same Gamut P-30 on my Demo for the past 3 seasons. The back plate, top guide and roller are original and function like the day it was brand new. I have replaced the bashguard, but only because the original was getting kinda ratty looking. For close (within 30 grams) to the same weight as the lightest Taco'd guides you get a full bash guard. Its one of those things that once its setup you can ride and forget about it.

I have seen several buddies have issues with their MRP's. I have original LG-1 on my other bike and it has been great too, although I have replace the roller and other pieces a few times.
Straitline is basicly gamut 2.0

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I may be the only one, but I HATE that e13 will not warranty your parts if you use non-specified chainlube. Seems to me, an item that holds your chain should be compatible with your chain. I don't care how bullletproof patented it is, universal compatibility and trail reliability are where it's at. I will say I only had a few problems with my lg1+, but I wouldn't buy another one on the chain lube issue alone.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I spoke to two guys running Straitlines recently (curiosity mostly) and one was hating on his pretty hard. Riding a 2011 Norco Team DH, couldn't get a balance between the lower guide high enough to add tension and the upper guide back enough at the same time...

I do like the simple adjust-ability of the E13s, just wish they weighed 50 grams more and were tougher as a result.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I spoke to two guys running Straitlines recently (curiosity mostly) and one was hating on his pretty hard. Riding a 2011 Norco Team DH, couldn't get a balance between the lower guide high enough to add tension and the upper guide back enough at the same time...

I do like the simple adjust-ability of the E13s, just wish they weighed 50 grams more and were tougher as a result.
Unless 2011 Norcos are special that guy had to be. There is a picture of how the guide should be setup in the manual. How is that hard to set up? My guess is he wanted the top guide to touch or be close to the chain even if the manual told him otherwise. Setting up my silent guide took me around 10 seconds. You look at the picture with orientation lines and copy, after that you tighten. I find it hard to imagine someone can have problems with setting it up.

PS. It seems to work well with this norco:
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/142863/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well, it looks like MRP also has limitations on chain lubes.

Don't you think these guys would have tested their products and compounds before releasing them? Dang...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
lol listen to you guys...how many 'warranty' situations have you been in with an e.13 guide? space it, bolt it on, call it a day...it is one of the most forgot about parts on my bike

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
well, it looks like MRP also has limitations on chain lubes.

Don't you think these guys would have tested their products and compounds before releasing them? Dang...
It's not a manner of testing, if you're going to use any plastic in it it's going to have issues with certain chain lubes. Period.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I may be the only one, but I HATE that e13 will not warranty your parts if you use non-specified chainlube. Seems to me, an item that holds your chain should be compatible with your chain. I don't care how bullletproof patented it is, universal compatibility and trail reliability are where it's at. I will say I only had a few problems with my lg1+, but I wouldn't buy another one on the chain lube issue alone.
I think the issue you're talking about has to do with certain chain lubes that will react with the plastic of the guide. I see what you're saying, however the instructions clearly state which lubes will be problematic. I imagine most lubes are ok - i've never had a problem with any of mine. You could always be on the lookout for a guide w/ fully metal parts.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah it's not like your chainguide is going to melt off your bike if you use triflow by accident.

i have been running e.13 for about 8 years or something and never once thought about lubricant and mine doesnt look like a pile of molten wax.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
really?