Quantcast

chainsaw ppe

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
long story short, going to get an OSHA cert for chainsaw work as part of getting a trail work crew organized for my local trails. we are going to be required to use proper PPE, so I'll be in the market for chaps and a helmet, possibly helmet w/ face shield. i know theres a few builders here, looking for recommendations for something that isn't junk.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I prefer stihls saw pants over chaps, much more comfy and easier to hike in plus you can wash them. And nobody will walk off with them.

As far as eye pro goes the bugz are clutch since they will never fog up https://www.amazon.com/Bugz-Eye-Sight-Shield-Safety-Goggles/dp/B00455WUYA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mesh+saw+glasses&qid=1638375797&sr=8-2

and I use the electronic shooting muffs (over the ear) for my ear pro since it will give you hearing protection but also allow you to hear and converse when the saw is at idle

And as an old faller, you will want to wear cheap white poly style gloves since they allow you to slide the saw around in your hands and you wont get death grip syndrome and wicks your sweat after running all day https://www.amazon.com/EvridWear-Polyester-Protection-Industrial-Construction/dp/B082BJSBRK/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=white+cotton+woven+gloves&qid=1638376054&sr=8-5&th=1

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks for the info. how hot do the pants get? where I live I will likely be sawing in 90°F heat + humidity. there's also a good likelihood i would be pedaling my bike to access parts of the trail network for saw work. think they would be tolerable to ride in? obviously not aggressive riding, but just pedaling to get there faster than walking.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
thanks for the info. how hot do the pants get? where I live I will likely be sawing in 90°F heat + humidity. there's also a good likelihood i would be pedaling my bike to access parts of the trail network for saw work. think they would be tolerable to ride in? obviously not aggressive riding, but just pedaling to get there faster than walking.
Even more reason to get the saw pants. I can tell you this, I fought fire in the worst heat imaginable and am clearing a ton of moto trail and riding at the same time and will never wear chaps over my pants when working anymore. Chaps worn correctly will effectively bundle your legs and pants tight enough to not get any air circulation making you soaked at the end of the day. Also, chaps hang up on everything especially when getting on and off a bike or walking through brush/limbs. The saw pants are no different than wearing a pair of carharts to me anymore.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Even more reason to get the saw pants. I can tell you this, I fought fire in the worst heat imaginable and am clearing a ton of moto trail and riding at the same time and will never wear chaps over my pants when working anymore. Chaps worn correctly will effectively bundle your legs and pants tight enough to not get any air circulation making you soaked at the end of the day. Also, chaps hang up on everything especially when getting on and off a bike or walking through brush/limbs. The saw pants are no different than wearing a pair of carharts to me anymore.
good to know. if i went the chaps route i would pack them in instead of wearing them. but sounds like the pants are worth it for overall comfort.

these ones?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
good to know. if i went the chaps route i would pack them in instead of wearing them. but sounds like the pants are worth it for overall comfort.

these ones?

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.45.42 AM.png

You can pull the chaps, roll them and pack them but you are still wearing more layers in the heat than you would probably care to and it takes a bit of time to don and doff everytime you have to use the saw. The pants are just easier, cooler and faster all the way around plus they actually fit like pants instead of chaps falling off your ass all day. This pair has been washed at least a dozen times and still look great and I am hard on my gear. I own a few pairs and zero chaps anymore. In the 20+ years of cutting I dont know a full timer timer that wears chaps anymore.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for. i saw some of the reviews on stihl's site say the fit is wonky... is that actually the case or just a couple of weirdos complaining on the internet?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for. i saw some of the reviews on stihl's site say the fit is wonky... is that actually the case or just a couple of weirdos complaining on the internet?
I tried them on in the saw shop before I bought so I am not sure as to the sizing. Better to go a bit too big and use a belt or suspenders and get up the cuff ventilation than be caught wearing skinny jeans on the landing, lol

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
helmet suggestions? i take it you have an individual one vs the style that have built in face shield and hearing protection.
i've always used squishy plugs along with over ear muffs when sawing.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I use chainsaw chaps because that's what my bike club issues to me, and I agree with GFF about them being hot af and a pain to put on/take off and falling off your ass all the time. Damn if those pants aren't expensive though, I just don't saw that much.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
helmet suggestions? i take it you have an individual one vs the style that have built in face shield and hearing protection.
i've always used squishy plugs along with over ear muffs when sawing.
any old full brim hard hat will do, I prefer comfort and weight over function since my ear pro is behind the ear style, it makes it easy to don doff the ear pro while wearing it around your neck when not in use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I use chainsaw chaps because that's what my bike club issues to me, and I agree with GFF about them being hot af and a pain to put on/take off and falling off your ass all the time. Damn if those pants aren't expensive though, I just don't saw that much.
PPE is one area where i tend to not cheap out.

you still out in lancaster? what trails you working these days?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yeah, still Lancaster. Done with the little bike park build in Ephrata and handed off that maintenance to another guy. Still working the trails at Camp Mack. They log damn near every year it seems and we always have to clear/rebuild what gets fucked up. Plus we're adding a little trail here and there. Going to be out on Sunday clearing corridor again.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
IMG_4674.JPG

Dont get me wrong, I have worn out more chaps in a single season than most have ever bought but, once you get a set of saw pants you will be a believer. Plus I consider chaps a liability when falling or doing any hazard work since they seem to catch every fucking thing when you need to move in a hurry. Plus saw chaps are in many sizes if they are issued and hardly anyone buys the 38" versions that actually have full coverage for an average human. The pants are full coverage.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I tried them on in the saw shop before I bought so I am not sure as to the sizing. Better to go a bit too big and use a belt or suspenders and get up the cuff ventilation than be caught wearing skinny jeans on the landing, lol
my local stihl dealer is pretty well stocked, but i'm not sure this is something they carry. i can call them and ask.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BTW, not sure if you are using your own saw or not or if you are running full comp chains but this sharpener is the tits. Hits the cutter and the raker perfect with every stroke. Especially handy if you are cutting in dirty conditions. They now make it for every pitch and gauge. https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/
i've looked at that before. i have the chainsaw sharpener attachment for my dremel, but that doesn't do me any good when i'm out in the woods. also, full comp chains? not familiar with that term.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
i've looked at that before. i have the chainsaw sharpener attachment for my dremel, but that doesn't do me any good when i'm out in the woods. also, full comp chains? not familiar with that term.
Full comp or ("standard" -old school terminology) is one link between every cutter rather than skip or semi skip. takes longer to sharpen but also stays sharp longer due to more cutters.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Full comp or ("standard" -old school terminology) is one link between every cutter rather than skip or semi skip. takes longer to sharpen but also stays sharp longer due to more cutters.
ah, yea i'm pretty sure its a full comp / standard. i'm only running a 20" bar so a semi/skip chain wouldn't save much time.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
All the sawing I used to do as a youngster, we never wore proper ppe. Gloves, two pairs of jeans, eye protection, boots and sometimes a helmet.
i suppose we weren’t too far off… proper pants would be the main difference. Our concern at the time was mostly logs falling the wrong way or our saw getting jammed, not cutting ourselves.

View attachment 168167

You can pull the chaps, roll them and pack them but you are still wearing more layers in the heat than you would probably care to and it takes a bit of time to don and doff everytime you have to use the saw. The pants are just easier, cooler and faster all the way around plus they actually fit like pants instead of chaps falling off your ass all day. This pair has been washed at least a dozen times and still look great and I am hard on my gear. I own a few pairs and zero chaps anymore. In the 20+ years of cutting I dont know a full timer timer that wears chaps anymore.
Ordered a pair, s/b here tomorrow or so.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Out of curiosity, is anyone using the new electric saws? Curious if they're quieter. You should at least smell better when you're all done!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Out of curiosity, is anyone using the new electric saws? Curious if they're quieter. You should at least smell better when you're all done!
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 7.18.14 AM.png

I have been running the stihl top handle for about 2 years now and will never go back to gas for the small trim saws. carries well on the bikes, charges in the jeep, one hand operation, I actually leave one in the jeep all the time now. battery lasts for days and will cut nearly 1 cord of wood (3-6" diameter) on one battery. If you buy two batteries and the quick charger you will never run out of perpetual juice since one charges faster than the other drains. You can effectively cut trees up to 26" and it can be used during fire season when closure are in effect.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
View attachment 168232

I have been running the stihl top handle for about 2 years now and will never go back to gas for the small trim saws. carries well on the bikes, charges in the jeep, one hand operation, I actually leave one in the jeep all the time now. battery lasts for days and will cut nearly 1 cord of wood (3-6" diameter) on one battery. If you buy two batteries and the quick charger you will never run out of perpetual juice since one charges faster than the other drains. You can effectively cut trees up to 26" and it can be used during fire season when closure are in effect.
That sounds pretty brilliant frankly. It's pretty much all I every need.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
One more vote for the pants. For me the Stihl ones fit wonky, so I settled for a cheaper brand they had at the store which accidently fit. In the summer you can hike/bike there in your shorts and just put them on when needed. They are a little heavier and warmer than work pants, but not by much. In the winter I wear regular jeans underneath them for warmth.

I got good chainsaw boots too (Stihl). Have an older version of these I think: https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-tools-A-great-range/STIHL-Personal-Protective-Equipment/Cut-resistant-chain-saw-boots/21353-1530/DYNAMIC-Ranger-leather-chainsaw-boots.aspx
You cannot ride in those, so have to carry them as well, hiking in them is OK if not more than a couple of miles.

Besides work safety glasses I wear this helmet: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/head-and-face-protection/sfhs/

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
View attachment 168232

I have a MS 261 C-M as my main saw, but am looking for a climbing saw or other lightweight saw to carry in/on a back pack for cleaning out smaller stuff on the trails and trimming branches on trees. Are any of the cheaper electric Stihls any good in your opinion?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have a MS 261 C-M as my main saw, but am looking for a climbing saw or other lightweight saw to carry in/on a back pack for cleaning out smaller stuff on the trails and trimming branches on trees. Are any of the cheaper electric Stihls any good in your opinion?
The top handle is really the only option I am afraid, I have climbing with them for so long it just doesnt make sense to buy anything else since the electric top handle is literally made for one hand operation, I had the other battery saw in the quiver but sold it just because it wasn't as versatile. Also have used the other brands such as makita dewalt, etc and they just dont have the same torque and juice the stihl does. More importantly is stihls warranty, they have a very good warranty on the saw and that batteries themselves where you can drop into any dealer and they will swap out the saw or battery on the spot with no questions asked.

I like the fact that I can climb a 180' pine, limb it 100% and chunk it down to 14" diameter on one battery before having to grab my gas saw for the rest of the chunking/felling is clutch. I have also yet to spend a battery on a day of trail clearing because it runs a micro picco chain. The kerf is so thin that you cut so much faster. By the time comparable gas saws are getting started or warming up I am already done via cutting/swamping at the same time.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Thanks for the info! Sounds like I have to spend the money. Oh well, more toys. :D

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 12.00.00 PM.png

I have been clearing most of our trails on the moto since it can pack the saw and a winch and clear it all solo. The tree you see in the background was cleared from the trail with only the top handle and the little winch. Granted I had to double cut in order to get through some 24" logs but it handled it like a champ.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
All the sawing I used to do as a youngster, we never wore proper ppe. Gloves, two pairs of jeans, eye protection, boots and sometimes a helmet.
i suppose we weren’t too far off… proper pants would be the main difference. Our concern at the time was mostly logs falling the wrong way or our saw getting jammed, not cutting ourselves.
This is still how I roll today and I agree with everything you said. I usually wear my Patagonia work pants, work gloves, hiking boots. I wear eyeglasses always but sometimes bring my prescription safety glasses with side shields if I remember. I will sometimes bring a standard hard hat if I'm cutting something that has overhead components, but most of the time it's deadfall on the ground. I only use electric saws so no hearing protection is needed, which is also much better for situational awareness. Jamming the saw in weirdly supported fallen trees, or branches falling in odd ways, is definitely way more of a concern than cutting myself with the saw.
I have exclusively used the Greenworks 40V 16" battery saw for the past 7 years. I cut everything from small brush like invasive honeysuckle, to fallen tree tops with lots of smaller branches, to taking sections out of up to 30" diameter oaks and maples for the trail to pass through. I've never needed more than two batteries for any project, but something like the large maple shown below consumed nearly one whole battery to make that cut. But for more reasonable 10"-16" logs I can make a lot of cuts on one battery. Keeping the chain sharp is key. I usually just carry a spare sharp chain rather than try to sharpen in the woods, plus if you get it pinched you can sometimes pull out the bar and keep cutting.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I bought one because I poisoned a tree that I need to drop quietly on a weekday, hahaha!
Got a Husqvarna T540IXP which they reckon has the output of a pro level 40CC chainsaw, it most certainly has more than my $99 Talon but I can't validate their claim. I have only done a couple of cuts but I really like the top handle and you can run a 14" bar on it.
I had batteries already, if anyone is looking at a cordless mower, probably have a look at a Toro, the Husq is shit.

I need to stitch spats on to some socks so I don't forget the damn things, boots full of dirt and chips is no fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey just getting caught up here.

while i haven't used the plastic wedges GFF linked, i have used a splitting wedge in a pinch. but i will likely be acquiring those plastic ones.

@gonefirefightin as far as pants are concerned, any thoughts / experience (yourself or others you work with) on the two pants below? seem to be the same cut retardant material but half the price as the ones you use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my current saw is an older ms290 with a 20" bar. covers a pretty decent range of stuff. eventually i want to get a smaller electric small for limbing and small jobs. @gonefirefightin i won't be doing any climbing, any reason to consider the top handle model (MSA 161) over the traditional 2 handed (ie MSA 160 / 200)?