Quantcast

Chameleon Owners: (or people that have ridden them)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'm about to order a frame, and Im confused about which size to get. Size M has a 22.5 toptube, but only a 16" seat tube. However, a Large has an 18" ST, and a 23.3 inch TT.

Im 5'11/6ft depending on when during the day im measured, by whom, etc...

Anyway, typically, Ive liked size M frames, however some say that the Chameleon runs a bit small. I've checked the size chart on the SC website and Im right on the line. Im concerned that the Large will not be nimble enough for me, but that the Medium will be too small for XC mileage.

Any thoughts?

http://www.santacruzbikes.com/chameleon/

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depending on how high you like your post for seated climbs, the Med should be perfect. If you will do a lot of seated riding, you might think about the Large.

When I bought my Bullit, I went with the large because I liked the longer top tube. I'm 6'4" and ran a 60mm stem. For the hardtail, i would have thought about a Medium. I have ridden the Medium and it fits well.

18" seat tube isn't that tall either. What was the seat tube on your Bullitt? That should be the decider.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd say go with a large and just run a shorter stem. I think you'd be kinda cramped on a Medium Chameleon at your height. Yep, definitely large.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
What are you gonna use it for? I'm about the same height as you and would get the large for an all around trail bike or SS, but would get the medium for a jumper / slalom bike.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I normally like a Medium myself, but after spending a few months on a M Chameleon myself I'd rather it were large - even if I did get to ride it on a trail... The frame is plenty nimble as it is. Go large.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I do alot of seated climbing, however, I also do some play riding, but that's getting less and less. I had a medium bullit, but the cockpit was cramped, even w/ a 70mm stem when it came to trail riding...are the numbers similar between a Chameleon and a bullit? Cause if so, a large would be necessary for more trail riding, IMO.

?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
peter6061 said:
What are you gonna use it for? I'm about the same height as you and would get the large for an all around trail bike or SS, but would get the medium for a jumper / slalom bike.
Ok. Im thinking for of an all-rounder, so I prolly will go with a large then.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If the Med bullit was cramped, then the Large is for sure the way to go. I wanted the seat tube length on the Med Bullit, but knew the top tube was too short.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ok. Good. Large it is then....

I cant wait to start building this thing up. I know its not some super snazzy fullsquish, latest greatest, whatever. It'll be a mountain bike. Awesome.

Go-ride took some paypal cash from me yestaday. Yipee!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I'm just about 5'8" and the medium is spot on.

I think the large would fit you perfectly. FWIW Spincrazy is at least as tall as you.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You see this argument that's going on? That's the same argument Im havin w/ myself on this one... I dunno wtf to order.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I think the smaller frame would have more a DJ type feel to it. Also, if you don't like the size you get, you can always turn around and sell it.

Chamy are like Hondas, they hold their value pretty well.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Personally I am all about small bikes and throwing them around. Even when I ride XC trails I like to hop all the little bumps, make berms out of the edge, basically I like to play on my bikes the whole time. If not I'd buy a road bike.

I guess you need to think about your style of riding. You can buy some really long seatposts these days too.

Also remember you might get into play biking more with a hardtail. They are more suitable for it.

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
I have an urban bike and thought it would be nice to jump a little. I do mean a little. I rolled it on a slalom course this weekend and did not like it. I will be getting a bigger frame.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Actually sorry, seeing how they measure the Top tube length, for a 6' guy I think the Large would be probably be OK. I was assuming that measurement was actual TT length. I'd like to see an actual number for that, I'm more used to sizing bikes based on those numbers.

The medium would still look better though...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
partsbara said:
i m 5 10 1/2 - 5 11 shirley... i rode a medium and it was fine... you could ride either...
yeah, I could ride a unicycle with a plastic baby strapped to my face too, but that wouldnt be optimal:rofl:

What length stem did you run?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BurlyShirley said:
You see this argument that's going on? That's the same argument Im havin w/ myself on this one... I dunno wtf to order.
If you want a "mountain bike" to ride XC/trails with any level of comfort, and a medium bullit was too small, get a large.

If you want a dirt jump/urban/play bike, get a medium. Or a different frame.

If you were expecting the same answer from everyone (as opposed to more confusion), get a clue. :clue: :)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Anyone with a 'Large' Chameleon got an actual TT length for us? Centre of head tube to centre of seat tube?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Anyone with a 'Large' Chameleon got an actual TT length for us? Centre of head tube to centre of seat tube?
yes. that's what Im looking for. On the bullit, that # is 21.5 for a medium. Another inch and Id be happy w/ the medium, even for trail riding I think.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
partsbara said:
a 70 thomson - if i did it again i d go 90...5 deg
I have a 90 sitting in a glass case at work that would be perfect I bet... but Im guessing it'd be too much if I got a large...

**** ! WTF?! Why does GOD hate me so?

Bighitz

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I am 5'9" and have a med. It has a 50mm stem and it works great. I use it half for xc and half for freeriding. With the seat up it climbs fine and i feel comfortable.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
What fork are you going to put on it?

I am looking around for a new thrasher hardtail and the Chammy looks to have a comparitively shortish TT and steepish HA.

I am about your height and I think you could do a fair bit of playing on the 18" but if you take playing more seriously than XC I would consider the 16".

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
bjanga said:
What fork are you going to put on it?

I am looking around for a new thrasher hardtail and the Chammy looks to have a comparitively shortish TT and steepish HA.

I am about your height and I think you could do a fair bit of playing on the 18" but if you take playing more seriously than XC I would consider the 16".
Im putting a Vanilla R on it.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
80? 100? 125?

I dunno how tall foxes are but a big fork would make the large ungainly and calm down the medium a little.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
bjanga said:
80? 100? 125?

I dunno how tall foxes are but a big fork would make the large ungainly and calm down the medium a little.
130mm
Im thinking that would give the large some good trail geom. No?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
One of my friends used to have a small Chameleon he used as a jump bike.

That thing was probibly the most fun bike I have ever ridden, and I'm 6'1".

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is VERY similar to the build I have in mind. Except that this frame is a Medium, and I wont have some flamingly metro White rims.

Edit: I have Time pedals too. And NO birds nest. Needs a wok...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
6'-1"
Large
90mm stem
Vanilla R 100mm

130mm too slack HA

I need to use a setback post to be confortable on the bike... so I would go with the large.