Quantcast

Champery World Cup - Live Thread

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Forgive my ignorance but who is this Neko chap, and why is everyone harking on about him?
the best thing to come from my neck of the woods.
i hope the local paper does a article about him. its depressing reading the news and seeing something a local pinner on the WC circuit would be great

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
do teams ship their trucks and or buses over to N.A. for the races here, or do they just have other support vehicles that they have here?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
do teams ship their trucks and or buses over to N.A. for the races here, or do they just have other support vehicles that they have here?
Lots of teams pit out of Minivans and ez-ups on the NA swing. Trek, Yeti and Giant are among the few teams that have setups on this continent. Specialized still has the same trailer they've been using since Ned and Palmer- but Monster pits out of their own setup.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Lots of teams pit out of Minivans and ez-ups on the NA swing. Trek, Yeti and Giant are among the few teams that have setups on this continent. Specialized still has the same trailer they've been using since Ned and Palmer- but Monster pits out of their own setup.

i figured the companies that have a strong N.A. presence would have something for the teams, but was curious with teams like M.S. Evil, Commencal, Mondraker....

the Monster guys did pit out of a minivan at the US Open, but prior years had a trailer getup.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So qualies was a **** show. Utter mess. The monsoon rains that champery is known for came right on schedule...as the top 10 men left the gate. It then happened again 2 more times, evenly spaced out throughout the massive men's field. And then afterwards. Now it's quite nice, go figure. It does explain some of the odd results though.

Gwin may have a broken hand, but still not officially sure if he was DSQd or not. Guys were having 2 and 3 wrecks per run, and still qualifying.

Danny hart through the sickest 2 whips i have ever seen back to back at the bottom of the track.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Gwin left the start gate... as soon as that happens a protected rider is into the finals. all you need to do is show up and start the clock like Sam Hill did at Ft. William.

If Gwin had walked down if would have been called a DNF, but since he rode and posted a time they give a DSQ. More a way of classifying riders than anything else, can't see how this would keep him out of finals.
Not correct.

As a protected rider, you still have to follow the rules. A DNF means you qualify in that position and run 20th + the number of riders ranked outside the top 20 who qualify inside of it.

A DSQ for going out of the tape however, and you are out. DSQ. Period.

The case in point however may be reviewed, as a few sections here are completely un-walkable in the dry, let alone today's conditions.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I tell ya what is noteworthy: Gee in 3rd and Minnaar not even in the top 10. That's some much needed points advantage going Gee's way!

1) Minnaar 660 +10 = 670
2) Gee 587 +30 = 617
3) Blenki 394 +50 = 444 (hops cole & gwin from 5th)

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You have to rejoin the track in exactly the same place you went out. Mitch Delf's was DSQ's in Leogang for this exact thing. The UCI did decide differently for Sam Hill and Steve Peat in the 2 earlier rounds, go figure.

The problem here is that the track is so steep, and so slick in sections, that walking back up is a literal impossibility.

The original results I saw showed a DSQ. My guess is the UCI will change it's mind overnight after a petition and 81 will qualify tomorrow. There is no way in hell he could have climbed back up where he went off.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You have to rejoin the track in exactly the same place you went out. Mitch Delf's was DSQ's in Leogang for this exact thing. The UCI did decide differently for Sam Hill and Steve Peat in the 2 earlier rounds, go figure.

The problem here is that the track is so steep, and so slick in sections, that walking back up is a literal impossibility.

The original results I saw showed a DSQ. My guess is the UCI will change it's mind overnight after a petition and 81 will qualify tomorrow. There is no way in hell he could have climbed back up where he went off.
I'm not debating that he should have been DSQed, I'm sure he should have. From the qualifying run. Your previous post implied that you believe he will be disqualified from the race period, and won't get to start tomorrow despite his top-20 position.

The "Q" next to his name here (quite rightly, IMHO) suggests that you're wrong:
http://62.50.72.82/ftpuci/ftppoelman/ftptouci/MTB/2010/36892_RiderResult_DHI_ME.pdf

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
so when hill started then walked off course it's a dnf since he didn't ever re-enter the course... so the logic here is since gwin is protected, if he couldn't enter where he left he should have just quit and walked down off course?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
In the same video as Minnaar's comments about the track Marc Beaumont also had a little gripe about the length of some of the landings saying how he massively overshot a jump on his first run, whilst attempting to jump everything. He seemed quite amused by the whole event, rather than moaning like Minnaar seems to have done.

Fair do's to Greg he's a professional and dangerous tracks can ruin a riders career, he has a right to voice his opinion, especially when prompted to. I doubt he approached the Parkin bro's saying he wanted to slag the track of. Yet having said that he doesn't need to mope about saying how the poor all the tracks are when there are so many good things to comment on.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm no fan of Minnaar's (too clinical, too boring) but I don't think he came across as whinging in that video at all, cut the guy some slack! :)

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm no fan of Minnaar's (too clinical, too boring) but I don't think he came across as whinging in that video at all, cut the guy some slack! :)
I have a huge amount of respect for Minnaar and I think he can win anywhere, anytime. It's all good. :thumb:

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Agreed, he started off the interview by saying he was having fun so far and had a smile on his face the whole way through the interview, even the bit where he was talking about the jumps. This was no whinge!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
That's an oddly worded question. But anyhow, I just meant that after watching all of the videos his comments (complaining, bellyaching, etc.) stood out.
I have a feeling that is all you watch for, to hear him complain. Not a personal slam on ya, I just know when I find someone irritating, I think I find myself just looking for the annoying parts? ya know?

I likes me some Minnaar though…he is one of the many guys that give the sport some flavor.