Quantcast

Changing a spider on an XTR crank?

Z

Zonic Man

I know I can change from the 4-bolt to standard 5 bolt. Does anyone know a cheap alternative to this?

I saw that A.C. had spiders for 25.00, and these fit the "m951 and m950" I have 2000 model 4-arm xtrs. Will these fit?

[s]B

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Boulder
Originally posted by Zonic Man
I know I can change from the 4-bolt to standard 5 bolt. Does anyone know a cheap alternative to this?

I saw that A.C. had spiders for 25.00, and these fit the "m951 and m950" I have 2000 model 4-arm xtrs. Will these fit?
I think that 2000 is m951 so it would fit. You can check the number on the crank, it is out around where the pedal goes in stamped in tiny letters. I havn't used the AC spider but am thinking of geting one. The 5 arm from shimano costs something like $30-40 wholesale. I have one of them and it bends all the time. Check that number and post how it works if you do get oneof thye AC's.

[s]B

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Boulder
Oh yea, you wanted to know how to do it...

I think that the BB tool that goes on the outside of the cup and has little squares coming off will do the trick. Yes, that's the one that nobody owns because it does not work very well on BBs. There's also a tool that I have no idea what it's name is, but it long (like a wrench) and has a hook on the end. It is normaly used for lockrings on hubs and BBs. Anybody know its name?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by B

There's also a tool that I have no idea what it's name is, but it long (like a wrench) and has a hook on the end. It is normaly used for lockrings on hubs and BBs. Anybody know its name?

Spanner.

[s]B

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Boulder
Originally posted by Toshi

Spanner.
I know of spanners as flexible things with red or green and something else handles that go in little holes, but I know of that as a pin spanner. Is that what you'er talking about? What I was thinking is a long 'wrench' arm with a 1/2 circle on the end and a hook on the end of that and not flexible. Is that a spanner?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by B

I know of spanners as flexible things with red or green and something else handles that go in little holes, but I know of that as a pin spanner. Is that what you'er talking about? What I was thinking is a long 'wrench' arm with a 1/2 circle on the end and a hook on the end of that and not flexible. Is that a spanner?

My bad, I was thinking of a pin spanner...

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
but Shimano actually has a special tool for it. The old BB tool that came with the BB's had two parts. The part with the teeth, and another part that threads onto the crank bolt to hold teh teeth in place. That way works the best, but so does the spanner wrench...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Zonic Man

Vuleta makes one also but you have to grind it down abit to fit the crank arm. Yep there is a special tool for it. Takes just seconds got one if you want to borrow it.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
yes, they are stupid expensive, but they hold up better than the AC model which is thinner and seems to bend easier. I haven't had any problems with any of the Shimano adapters on 950, 951 or 952 cranks (and I have all of them... I only run XTR cranks except on my X-bike, which may change...)

The Vuelta one is the cheapest of the three and works like it too - might be ok if you are good with a Dremel...

The problem is if the crank arm hits the adapter, the adapter arms flex and it throws everything out of whack.