Quantcast

Changing my major

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Right now I am majoring in mechanical engineering and minoring in political science. The problem I am having is I am super bored in math. I feel like I am entirely wasting my time, I am taking a calculus class right now and half way through the semester we are still revueing stuff that I learned in high school, and some of it in middle school. I am bored and feel like the math classes are a huge waste of time, on top of not having as much interest as I though I would with the higher level math (I kind of figured it would be higher level math not more review) I am really liking my political science classes and I feel like I'm actually learning and engaged as well as enjoying it. My big delema is that with an engineering degree I can get a job strait out of school making pretty damn good money. If I go with a poli sci degree just off of the BA I will have trouble getting a job and it will not pay as well. With a poli sci degree I would probably want to go to law school and go that route. In the end I could make a fair bit of money doing this but it will mean a ton more school and a whole bunch of debt to deal with. (the way it's going now I am going to finish up at the JC transfer to UC Berkeley and come out with a BA and little to no debt)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Just drop out. I am doing fine with my degree from the school of hardknocks & it cost me zip.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Swap major/minor and go unemployable. A 2 year JC degree in PoliSci should be worth a buck over minimum wage by todays standards.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Don't worry, the math will get MUCH harder.
Ditto.

I hate math personally. I can do it all easily enough, but it does bore me. I was always a physics guy myself, pretty much everything interested me. However, if you want to be an engineer you have to do both, and not have any issues doing them.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
If you were a math person in high school, stick with it. I take it you're in Calc 1 or 2 now? Call me weird, but Calc 3 and DiffEQ/Linear Algebra were all sorts of awesome. I loved them. Just enjoy the 1 or 2 semesters where you don't need to think about math and focus on your other classes (and maybe take a few more to get them out of the way). When it comes time to take higher level math, I can guarantee it won't bore you (assuming you're a math person).

You'll be done with math classes within another year or two anyway and by that time your classes will all be about the application of the concepts you've learned. I find it interesting anyway, though I'm an enginerd through and through...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I talked to my adviser a few days ago and on my way to my current major I am only 2 classes from an AA in Cultural and Behavioral Sciences. Completely worthless, But should look cool on my wall.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was talking about getting back into engineering after you figure out a pol sci degree is practically worthless.
My sister has a polisci degree and makes more than I do as an engineer!

Of course it took her 10 years and a PhD from UCLA then 2 years waiting before she got hired at UConn. but I wouldn't say it was "worhtless" :rofl:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would stick to both majors for now. There is nothing saying you can't double major.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
do yourself a favor: don't change majors without good reason. This is coming from someone who changed majors twice.

1st change:
computer science to IT.
Reason: wasn't sure which I wanted to get into. Also, the CS kids were a bunch of weird fvckers, even by my standards.
Duration: 2 terms in CS

2nd change:
IT to Packaging Engineering
Reason: I quickly tired of IT, and the industry was bombing. And after a lot of searching Packaging was something that would get me a myriad of different experiences, industries, travel, etc, and would actually pay well.
Duration: 4 terms

I'm happy I went into packaging. I don't feel like I wasted the first 2 years of college. All in all it didn't push my graduation out an entire year.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
As said, sounds like your in calc 1 or 2, and at a JC. Reviewing shouldn't sound surprising, all your classes prolly feel like review. Calc 3 and up combined with your physics will get more interesting, but you probably should start thinking about moving on after your second or third semester.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I changed my major from mechanical engineering to finance/investment banking. Best choice I've ever made.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its my 2nd year

Thats what I think I'm going to do, it's going to take and extra year but it leaves all my options open
something to keep in mind, your major in college doesn't define your career. It'll make a huge difference your first decade or so out of college, but that's just due to lack of (job) experience. After you get some experience under your belt, its easier to move around so to speak.

Also, a lot of large companies tend to encourage internal transfers. They'd rather have someone change positions within the company than lose them altogether. At least in my experience.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Where I went to college really screwed up. I came in as a declared history major and they put me in as an art major, and I absolutely suck at drawing. So I had to survive a year of being an art major then changed to what I was supposed to be, a history major.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Where I went to college really screwed up. I came in as a declared history major and they put me in as an art major, and I absolutely suck at drawing. So I had to survive a year of being an art major then changed to what I was supposed to be, a history major.
so they fvcked up and you did nothing about it?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
If you were a math person in high school, stick with it. I take it you're in Calc 1 or 2 now? Call me weird, but Calc 3 and DiffEQ/Linear Algebra were all sorts of awesome. I loved them. Just enjoy the 1 or 2 semesters where you don't need to think about math and focus on your other classes (and maybe take a few more to get them out of the way). When it comes time to take higher level math, I can guarantee it won't bore you (assuming you're a math person).

You'll be done with math classes within another year or two anyway and by that time your classes will all be about the application of the concepts you've learned. I find it interesting anyway, though I'm an enginerd through and through...
I agree. I hated the first 2 calcs I got a B in calc 1 and ended up repeating calc 2. But for some strange reason I liked calc 3 "vector calculus" and ended up going for a math minor I took my last 2 classes with maple which i think helped alot. The visuals and programming added to the class which made it way more interesting and easier to absorb. Diff eq is a toss up! My teacher was russian and didnt give a F**k. Be sure to pay attention it will come up later in your vibrations class.
Ive been out for a year and havent done anything more than simple derivatives or integrals depending on what you do the odds are in your favor that you wont be doing to many l'hosipital rule conversions and laplace transforms.

Honestly though, I would ask yourself if youre willing to sacrifice more of your social life and enjoy statics and dynamics because thats about all it is junior year through the end.

What were you planning on doing with mech engineering degree and a poly sci minor if i may ask?

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
so they fvcked up and you did nothing about it?
The majority of my classes were history classes, I was just listed as an Art Major. The college I went to you had to be there at least a year before you could change major.

What's ironic, despite sucking at art, I had the highest semester grade in my Two Dimensional Art Class.