Quantcast

chappelle show ain't coming back

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
That's just a story about what Charlie Murphy thinks. That's not Dave saying it's over for good, and the network is still saying that if he wants to come back, he can. That's the biggest non-story of the day. :stosh:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
"Network chief Doug Herzog met with Chappelle on June 3, but that has been their last communication, she said."

two months is a decent hiatus, eh? he might be smoking huge fatties w/ ricky williams.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Comedy Central said:
Comedy Central has always said the door is open for Chappelle to return, spokeswoman Aileen Budow said Wednesday.
Read:
Comedy Central has always said the door is open for Chappelle to return and make us a shltload of $$$, spokeswoman Aileen Budow said Wednesday.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I read a NY Times piece last year and did sound like a lot of work. Unless most sketch shows, Chappelle needs to be in every scene...

Jabo

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Chehalis, WA
Hey... could be worse. He could get a lot more money, you'd have several more seasons, and then end up like the Simpsons or SNL.
AND..
It's not often you see a celebrity who says "that's enough for now".
Too bad Ashlee or Jessica Simpson can't say that so that we can have AT LEAST a hiatus from constant bombardment of their faces on TV.
all right. I'm done.
RESPEK KNUCKLES

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Jabo said:
Too bad Ashlee or Jessica Simpson can't say that so that we can have AT LEAST a hiatus from constant bombardment of their faces on TV.
OR (just a thought) turn your fuggin TV off?

And I repeat: TV sucks!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What I've heard is that he had alot of pressure to tone it down, because the success of the show put a huge spotlight on the content.

He wanted to crank it up, or just drop the show altogether and not have it be wimped out.

Good move.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
H8R said:
What I've heard is that he had alot of pressure to tone it down, because the success of the threads put a huge spotlight on the content.
Just like my threads...

Damn the man! Stay strong Dave.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Just like my threads...

Damn the man! Stay strong Dave.
Unlike your threads, Chappelle Show was funny and sometimes thought provoking.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
sanjuro said:
I read a NY Times piece last year and did sound like a lot of work. Unless most sketch shows, Chappelle needs to be in every scene...
yeah maybe that and the fact that he went into a mental hospital for a while.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
biggins said:
yeah maybe that and the fact that he went into a mental hospital for a while.

He never did it was a rumor he was just in africa visiting with a friend to clear his mind.

and smoke pot.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Maybe he realized he he ran out of ideas and was becoming a media cash cow that would have become a cliche' of himself had he not pulled the plug. We don't need another John Belushi or Freddy Prince. I think he pulled the plug on his inevitable pigeon hole.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
narlus said:
"Network chief Doug Herzog met with Chappelle on June 3, but that has been their last communication, she said."

two months is a decent hiatus, eh? he might be smoking huge fatties w/ ricky williams.

He's probably stoned doing his Rick James imitation. "I'm Rick James B****"

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:52 a.m. ET May 12, 2005

NEW YORK - Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian’s whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of “Chappelle’s Show” had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

“We don’t know where he is,” Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. “We’ve heard about South Africa. We don’t know. We haven’t talked to Dave.”

Chappelle’s spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine’s story.

“It seems like the issues he’s contending with are really quite serious,” said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. “It isn’t a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion.”

The magazine’s sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle’s representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show’s first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes’ worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions"

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
Man what a total idiot! all he had to do was keep the show going and make 50+ million..........but instead he decided to stop the show, go to Africa blaze it up and make squat! :nuts:

I have to admit though that show was the funniest on tv hands down.

"I bought my momma a Jag, I spent the rest on PCP"

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
That'll be a damn shame if that show stops. Like any popular show there are now a bunch of "take off" or maybe "rip off" shows tryin to ride its wake. Mind of Mencia comes to mind. I watched it once, not very funny. A little funny, but its no Chappelle show.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
biggins said:
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:52 a.m. ET May 12, 2005

NEW YORK - Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian’s whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of “Chappelle’s Show” had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

“We don’t know where he is,” Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. “We’ve heard about South Africa. We don’t know. We haven’t talked to Dave.”

Chappelle’s spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine’s story.

“It seems like the issues he’s contending with are really quite serious,” said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. “It isn’t a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion.”

The magazine’s sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle’s representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show’s first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes’ worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions"
That was the initial story, but this story was false. He did not check into a mental health facility. There was a correction printed, and I'll try to find it.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Right from Dave's mouth This isn't the correction from Entertainment weekly, but it is a different story from MTV News. Hey, I know it's not exactly the BBC, but for chrissakes, neither is Entertainment-f**king-Weekly...and the interview was with Dave himself and Time magazine, not some jerk-off who thought he knew something. I friggin hate these jerk-off so called "news" channels and magazines that don't do fact checking or verification. They're nothing better than gossip columns.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
It'd be a bummer if the show didnt come back, but I think something else will come along and replace it. Plus, there is always the season 1&2 dvd's to watch over and over and over and over...