Quantcast

cheap bmx bike

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I'm looking for a dirt cheap bmx bike that won't crap out that will be used mainly for street. Any suggestions? I was looking at some of the Norco bmx line, and it's $235 CAN, which is around my bugget. My buget is $300USD tops. I want something cheap because if down the road I don't like it, it won't be that big of a loss. Anyways, I'm bmx illiterate, so any info on the specs would be nice.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/rivet.htm

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
this seems to come up alot.

you don't want to spend alot but you want to use it for one of the most abusive types of riding.

you didn't mention your size/weight or your skill level.

I would suggest getting that norco. ride the piss out of it and when it breaks you can decide if you want to keep riding 20 inch. then you can step up and get something of better quality.

I wouldn't worry too much about what bike to get if your only spending this amount of money. they are all pretty much the same. and even the high end bikes break when ridden hard enough.

just get any old bmx, ride it around and replace what breaks when it does.

Originally posted by mutasmurf
I'm looking for a dirt cheap bmx bike that won't crap out that will be used mainly for street. Any suggestions? I was looking at some of the Norco bmx line, and it's $235 CAN, which is around my bugget. My buget is $300USD tops. I want something cheap because if down the road I don't like it, it won't be that big of a loss. Anyways, I'm bmx illiterate, so any info on the specs would be nice.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/rivet.htm
for $300 i'd look for a used one, almost anything new under $300 retail, will NOT last. you could get a great deal on a pimped out one for that cost.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
HEY MAN!! dude none of those bikes use a chromo frame.... a tube here and a tube there...

Free Agent bikes have the whole front triangle chromo!!!through out the line!! and it goes up from there...
look into the tiger cat,hell cat or stilletto
availible in canada and the website is here
www.freeagentbmx.com

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
the hoffmans are 100% 4130, the 2hip soul is 100% 4130, The fly is 100% 4130 and I am pretty sure the Volume is 100% 4130.

Those bikes I listed are all plenty strong for a beginner. They are definately the best bang for the buck, buy one of them.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
if you want new, the ones listed are pretty damn quality for a starter bike. It's funny when peeps from a mtb background get into bmx 'cause we have a tendancy to get more than is really needed...A lot of kids who started out on bmx just start out with a pile o crap and built up from there as their skills improved. I say go to your local shop and get on a few bikes and see what feels good. That and buying used can aslo get you some quality stuff esp if it's someone local where you can check out the bike.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
well some of the examples you posted wernt chromo just a tube here and there...

but complete fits are 3 tube chromo i think...
in fact im pretty sure.....

but deff look for a good chromo frame... everythign else can be upgraded....

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by Zippy357
Ide go for a hard tail man they're better all around bikes and for only about 100-150$more you can score yourself a specialized P1. it'll waste on a BMX and last longer too.

LOL, what did you smoke this morning? A P1 MSRP is $620

Do you know how much BMX bike that will buy? I've never come across a mountain bike that will outlast a BMX, nothing is as strong.

I don't want to go into every detail here, but lets look at some key facts..... I will use this bike as the example, it is about the same price range http://www.albesstore.com/product.asp?0=234&1=267&3=1083

OK, the P1 frame is aluminum, the S&M is 4130, S&M wins as far as durability is concerned.

P1 - suspension fork marz EXR (not even a real fork (not strong or stiff)
S&M - Pitchfork (1000 year warranty)

P1 - Cheap aluminum handlebars
S&M - Primo Mustauche bars (or similar cromo bars)

P1- Hayes HMX 1 rear brake, stops ok but you worry about hitting your rotor on everything
S&M - Diatech hombres, work dang good

P1 - ISIS aluminum cranks
S&M - Primo Powerbites (or FSA nasty boy cromo cranks *much stronger than the ISIS truvativ cranks)

P1 - HAS A CHAINRING
S&M - comes with an assortment of strong good sprockets

P1 - 26" ditch witch wheels on QR axles and loose ball bearings
S&M - sealed alex triple walls f/r 14mm axles (unbreakable)

Now, if you still want to tell me that a P1 is going to last longer than a similarly priced BMX read it over. As far as I can see, the P1 has no parts that are stronger or even comparable to the S&M and they are at the same price points.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by ignitefan
well some of the examples you posted wernt chromo just a tube here and there...

but complete fits are 3 tube chromo i think...
in fact im pretty sure.....

but deff look for a good chromo frame... everythign else can be upgraded....
the hoffmans are 100% 4130, the 2hip soul is 100% 4130, The fly is 100% 4130 and I am pretty sure the Volume is 100% 4130.

They are 100% 4130, that means every tube and dropouts.....all of these.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
well the eastern you posted... chromo top and down tube only...
one of the 2 hips top tube and head tube only....
dk main frame as well... tri tube....

like i said.... some of the bikes you posted arnt full chromo....
trust me i am a product development guy for free agent it is my job to know these things ;)

the volumes were part chromo and lately have been full.....
but i just want the guy to get a full chromo frame..... that will last...
thats why i pride myself on our line....
our low end 219 dollar jumper has a full cromo frame.....

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
well the eastern you posted... chromo top and down tube only...
one of the 2 hips top tube and head tube only....
dk main frame as well... tri tube....

like i said.... some of the bikes you posted arnt full chromo....
trust me i am a product development guy for free agent it is my job to know these things ;)

the volumes were part chromo and lately have been full.....
but i just want the guy to get a full chromo frame..... that will last...
thats why i pride myself on our line....
our low end 219 dollar jumper has a full cromo frame.....

LOL, my friend ross is riding a Hi Ten steel schwinn right now. He rips and its lasting fine, the guy can do doublewhips......If I was in the market for a new beginner bike I would worry less about the frame and more about the parts. He isn't going to be busting backflips right outta the box. Product development is great, but in the real world, it obviously doesnt mean much lol. HiTen has been working fine for my pal....

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Thnx guys for the suggestions, you've been all helpful. I haven't decided yet on a bike, but after doing more research, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Oh and I already have a bombproof street hardtail, and figured having some form of a bmx backround will help me to become a better rider overall.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
that is your pal... a very small number can ride a mild steel frame bust out and not break it....
most will agree the properties of mild steel compared to a real 4130 chromo is like night and day strength wise... and as a beginer i think you need the strength more for rider error....

and geez you really hurt my feelings on the rick thorne comment... ill have to tell him next time i see him at his multi million dollar home and before his next tv shoot.....

rick thorne sells more bikes as well as our sport to kids than any one besides mirra...... dont hate the guy because he is succesfull he is one of the coolest guys around and has deep roots in bmx.... with out guys like him our sport would still be small and no tv coverage...

:D
but no reason to argue we all want to ride....

im sure you think i am some stuffy loser guy who works for a big corporation..... but im not i am just a rider for a passion of making things work and last....

"edit" man i was drunk my typing sucked....

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
that is your pal... a very small number can ride a mild steel frame bust out and not break it....
most will agree the properties of mild steel compared to a real 4130 chromo is like night na ddya strength wise... and as a beginer i think you need the strength more for rider error....

and geez you really hurt my feelings on the rick thorne comment... ill have to tell him next tie i see him at his multi million dollar home and before his next tv shoot.....

rick thorne sells more bikes as well as our sport to kids than any one besides mirra......

:D
but no reason to argue we all want to ride....

im sure you think i am some stuffy loser guy who works for a big corporation..... but im not i am just a rider for a passion of making things work and last....
No no, i dont think that your some stuffy loser.....I do however think that rick thorne is not a cool guy. I could give a crap about how many bikes he sells if thats the only reason the guy rides. All I have to say is that he seems like quite the commercial tool, a sell out if you will. He doesn't seem to ride for the love of riding, but more for the money. It's not about making multi millions, I have more in my happiness bank account than rick thorne will ever have in his monitary bank account.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
yeah i agree money isnt anything to me... whether i have 1000000000 bucks or 0 in the bank im gonna ride he is just a cool dude period man.... most people think he is a tool...

but i have an opinion on "selling out"
it hink at a certain point of putting 20 years of your life into something that has made you poor all your life you are entitled to sell out hahaha
it is about time to make money...
but he has made money out of tv and movies though.....

and he loves bmx just as much as the next guy.....

yo on another note.... last year me and a couple buds did an oregon sk8 park tour....
is the skaters getting real bad up there in the north west???

i would hate to go and get in fights......
we are comign up there around spring break time....

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
It all depends on what parks your riding and weather or not the BMX scene has been really pronounced there or not. In a lot of places the skaters don't really care, but in some spots they will kill you. I dono, I pretty much don't have any problems. But I would rather ride the secret spots than some skateparks sometimes, depends on what park.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
haha...I knew that thorney comment was going to cause a spark. It's all meant in fun my friend. It is the internet afterall. The whole 'rick thorne sells more bikes than everyone but mirra' comment is exactly why I said that in the first place. I like the sarcastic jokes you see

Oh and NW skateparks can be brutal for bikes...I'd say more so in Oregon than WA but the hate is still there. Our good buddies over at www.sleestak.net seem to love to keep the flames hot

I live in Olympia and if you ride into the entrance to out local park there will be 3 skaters on their cell phones instantly calling the police:rolleyes: ...meh, it makes riding at night more fun

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
word last year we went it wasnt bad except for one place.....
but lately i hear the sk8 kids are dicks.......
it is a shame to because we both agree rollerblades suck even harder....

but man oregon has like 400 parks that are great.......
i cant remeber what town... but near corvalis somewhere there were some dope trails..... in these woods near a park...
man huge doubles for ever......

and there is another skatepark next to a track... man nice setup...

but we do a 4 day hit all we can kinda thing.......
fun for us.... cali is getting real bad for bust spots....
let me know of any good joints you wouldnt mind sharing....
it is gonna be my buddy on bikes and our 2 other buddys on boards.....
just fun trip drink beer and ride....

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by schaefdog
All I have to say is that he seems like quite the commercial tool, a sell out if you will. He doesn't seem to ride for the love of riding, but more for the money. It's not about making multi millions, I have more in my happiness bank account than rick thorne will ever have in his monitary bank account.
you should watch ride bmx "In the life of". Thorne has a segment in it and he has a little monologue about why he rides and assuming that hes telling the truth during it i think hes riding for the right reasons.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by Ifelloffabike
you should watch ride bmx "In the life of". Thorne has a segment in it and he has a little monologue about why he rides and assuming that hes telling the truth during it i think hes riding for the right reasons.

But, lets be realistic here.....Do you think that anyone is going to say "i ride bmx because I can make millions of dollars"?

No.

I just am not a fan of him (or his riding)

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
HEY MAN!! dude none of those bikes use a chromo frame.... a tube here and a tube there...

Free Agent bikes have the whole front triangle chromo!!!through out the line!! and it goes up from there...
look into the tiger cat,hell cat or stilletto
availible in canada and the website is here
www.freeagentbmx.com
What about the rear triangle? Huh? What's that made out of? We all know LOUD AND CLEAR the front is chromo...

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
the 159 buck ghetto kid ride has mild steel rear but the first real bmx bike in our line at 219 msrp is full chromo....
no other complete has full chromo at that price point...
and 3 pc cranks tubular not the big lunky cast ones....

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Hey Eastern is getting rid of some stuff out of the warehouse from last year cheap. You can get an Eastern Jane frame with their 3 piece cro mo cranks (wethepeople copies) super cheap, like $80. It's the 03 model, I know the O4 is full cro mo frame, not sure about 03, but probably is. You can pick up alot of components cheap. I was going to get the frame, cranks, stem and sealed pedals for $140 shipped, but I don't need a frame. If you're interested let me know and i'll give you the email address to contact.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
I gotta interject on the topic of Rick Thorne. First of all, don't make the mistake of buying his signature Vans. Worst shoes in existence. Only paid $14 so no loss. Ok, well I can't see a guy riding a little bike for 20 years and the whole time he's thinking "man, someday i'm going to make a million bux off this!" Rick's old like me and I think once you reach a certain point in your life you're like "f@#k it". You just don't have to be the Mr. Cool anymore, like you don't have to keep up with all the ironic subtlities that make you supercool at that paticular time in history. What makes you cool today will make you a total ass in the future. Take it from me, i'm a total ass!

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Fortunately for everyone, the Thorne signature shoe doesn't exist any more. Kind of off the subject, but I'm pretty sure that the only people that should wear Vans when they ride are the people that get them free... They wear out too quickly for everyone else.

On the subject of cheap BMX rides, in my opinion all you really need are a full chromo frame and fork that fit you well. The other components are (relatively) cheaper and easier to replace.

Eastern seems to have some good options, as does DK. For my money, if I was going to buy a complete, it'd probably be the newest line of Fit models. Granted, it's an overseas version of their frame, but it's still a really nice bike.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Yeah can't say i've had any good Vans for a number of years now. Been wearing shoes from Nice skateboards. I know they are a few years old, but I got them at some discount store and they are the best damn riding shoes i've had. They actually look very similar to alot of the bmx shoes out now. So you think when they say "rider designed" or "signature model" it means that they opened some catalog from some Taiwanesse factory and said "yeah that one looks cool"?

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
So what are we saying here. Are all the BMX makers good? Or do some suck? If we were to get into BMX and didn't know anything about the different brands, what is a good list of good ones and a list of bad ones? So far, I think I've heard these are good:

S&M
Fit
Fly
Eastern
Kink
Metal
Volume

And these might be sucky:
Poverty
Nirve

Anyone care to correct my list or add to it?
I'm looking Kink, Fly or Eastern for my first BMX purchase in 16 yrs. Budget is <500 BUCK. And I'm going complete/have it built for the first one. If I stick with it, I'll build one next year.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by JimmyTwoTimes
Anyone care to correct my list or add to it?
I'm looking Kink, Fly or Eastern for my first BMX purchase in 16 yrs. Budget is <500 BUCK. And I'm going complete for the first one. If I stick with it, I'll build one next year.
If you start with a killer frame, that will be one less thing you have to buy when you decide to build a killer ride.

And baggin' on Mirra or Thorne for making the bucks is crap. People who have a problem with it are just jealous. How can you seriously think those guys don't like to ride? Complete crap. I suppose anyone who doesn't piss on skaters, ride a rusty bike, and laugh at young kids trying to learn, just isn't "cool enough to be a real BMXer". I've seen and talked to tons of these "sellouts" and they are way cooler, nicer, and generally more fun to ride with than these "hardcore" BMX kids with their bullsh!t attitudes.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Originally posted by Echo
If you start with a killer frame, that will be one less thing you have to buy when you decide to build a killer ride.

And baggin' on Mirra or Thorne for making the bucks is crap. People who have a problem with it are just jealous. How can you seriously think those guys don't like to ride? Complete crap. I suppose anyone who doesn't piss on skaters, ride a rusty bike, and laugh at young kids trying to learn, just isn't "cool enough to be a real BMXer". I've seen and talked to tons of these "sellouts" and they are way cooler, nicer, and generally more fun to ride with than these "hardcore" BMX kids with their bullsh!t attitudes.
you're a sellout! :D