Quantcast

cheap bmx bike

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Originally posted by Echo
If you start with a killer frame, that will be one less thing you have to buy when you decide to build a killer ride.

And baggin' on Mirra or Thorne for making the bucks is crap. People who have a problem with it are just jealous. How can you seriously think those guys don't like to ride? Complete crap. I suppose anyone who doesn't piss on skaters, ride a rusty bike, and laugh at young kids trying to learn, just isn't "cool enough to be a real BMXer". I've seen and talked to tons of these "sellouts" and they are way cooler, nicer, and generally more fun to ride with than these "hardcore" BMX kids with their bullsh!t attitudes.
I'm a certified fossil at age 27, buying my first BMX in over a decade. :thumb: :drool:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
33 here. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I test rode a bike with a 21" top tube with Jimmy 2x last night . I attempted to bunnyhop the bike. I think I got 3/4 of and inch and I think jimmy2x got about 7/8 of an inch. I couldn't believe how heavy that bike was. My C.W. California freestyler seemed lighter 15 years ago, but perhaps it was aluminum. Now here goes the questions from an idiot.

Jimmy2x is leaning more towards dirt jumps. I'll do dirt jumps, but I like vert and park sheite and tricks a little more.

Should I buy a dirt jump bike and put a front brake on it and use it for freestyle or are the freestyle bikes strictly aluminum, lighter and useless for dirt jumps, meaning will it break.

I'm sort of leaning toward a volume flatline. That any good? I don't really have the money to build a top notch BMX as I'm out close to 3.5k with my other mtb project. What do you guys think I should do? I want a bike with a 1/2 decent frame and fork. I don't care if I break seats, rims and pedals.

Also, is it really worth it to get a cassette vs. a freewheel. I have no idea what the difference is and it's been years since I disassembled a freehub.

Any help is appreciated.

Knuckle

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Knucks. The Volume Flatline would be a fine bike. Even though I think you should get a Kink :devil:

There are a couple "advantages" to a cassette, and one disadvantage that I can think of.

The advantages are you can run a smaller cog, and therefore a smaller sprocket up front. It's lighter, and you're not banging your sprocket on stuff as much (although when you get better you won't bang your sprocket on stuff anyway). Also the cassette setup doesn't have the "not quite round" problem that most freewheels have.

The disadvantage of a cassette is, if your cassette hub is shot, it's harder and more expensive to fix, whereas a freehub is like 10 bucks and easy to replace.

The differences between "park" frames and "DJ" frames are pretty minor. I think you can do both on pretty much any frame. DJ frames have a longer wheelbase for stability, park frames have shorter chainstays for easier manualing and flicking the bike around, but hacks like us can't tell the difference I bet.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Echo
I think you can do both on pretty much any frame. DJ frames have a longer wheelbase for stability, park frames have shorter chainstays for easier manualing and flicking the bike around, but hacks like us can't tell the difference I bet.

that is something that most people don't realize. if you CAN ride, the bike doesn't matter as much. if you CAN'T ride, the bike doesn't matter so much.

within reason of course, wal-mart bikes suck. :D

Knuckleslammer- the CW was 4130 (unless it was a super low end bike, then it was probably sh1t steel) but made with thin tubes and hella thin dropouts. the riding that was going on then didn't warrent quality bikes.

you asked about front brakes and freestyle.
I would get a longer frame (21 or whatever) because chances are you won't be out doing a lot of flatland. (keep in mind Pro flat rider Trever Meyer rides a 21 inch frame for flatland, again, it's not the bike, it's the rider) if you want to ride flat(freestyle) use the bike your riding. (I'm assuming your tall?)

personally, I ride four pegs, front brakes and a gyro but I ride more street then flat. I'm 5'8" and ride a 20 inch frame but I'm used to riding shorter frames so to me, it's long.

freewheel vs. cassette is your call. one costs more so I would suggest the cheaper. your going to be replacing parts anyways. even if they aren't worn out, people are always buying new ones. may as well save some dough for now.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Yeah, 21" was definitely comfortable. Is 20.5" a big difference? I know, try it, I will, but I'm trying to narrow down the list of potential bikes. If 20.5" is too small, then I can rule out those.

Jimmy

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Knuckleslammer
Thanks man, I'm about 6'0 as well as my buddy. You think I could cut it with 20.5"

Knuckle
yea but why?

your going to feel alot better on a longer bike, more then likely. it will have more room, kinda like a large car vs. small car. you COULD use a geo metro but your gonna feel better in something w/ more leg room.

keep in mind that you can run larger bars and get a 20.5 frame to feel larger. S&M slam bars are making a comeback so you won't even look funny when your at the park :D

I guess I keep think "don't buy a bike that doesn't feel good."

I don't think 20.5 is too small but most people going from large mtn bikes that are comfy feel cramped right away on a bmx bike.
that is why I suggest longer frames. I know a lot of people that are taller and ride shorter frames.

if you can test ride a 20.5 do that. but keep in mind alot of bikes today have low handle bars. taller bars will make the bike feel larger.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I HEAR YA MANG. Thing is it's tough to find a 21" frame. Most are 20 or 20.5
The Volume Flatline I've been eyeing out is 20.75. I tried a 21" last night with J2X and felt cramped, so no matter what I get it will feel weird. Just have to get use to it. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Well she'll really think I'm nuts when she gets home and I beat her asss and tell her to open the safe and give me $500 out of the IRS fund so I can go buy my bike. :devil:

Knuckle

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
i'm stocked to ride BMX too. they just seem more pratical for park. as for street you can do different stuff on a mtb, i think they both have there place on the street but parc, bmx for sure.

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
I love to hear people talk about there new bikes, i just got my new bike and i can wait to show the picture for it.:D :D :D :eek: :eek: