Quantcast

cheap flex fix for 03 SGS's

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Haha

Glad to hear it works good.

I was wondering if you were going to go through with that. I don't think I have the guts to do something like that.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Originally posted by Inclag
Haha

Glad to hear it works good.

I was wondering if you were going to go through with that. I don't think I have the guts to do something like that.
I just figured, if it worked, sweet. If not, I'll save my pennies for the new rearend. It worked pretty well though.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
you could try with a seat post piece and a bit bigger washers.

that would stress the area around the holes you made a bit less, and stiffen things up further.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
BTW, I can't tell from the picture, but if you haven't, you may want to throw some loctite on the threads just incase.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Originally posted by zedro
looks a little crooked to me?
The rear one is a hair crooked. It looks more crooked in the pic than it actually is. I was too lazy to take the plates off and drill them, so I made some templates out if cardboard to mark the holes. I cant believe how much stiffer it is now.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by schwaaa31
The rear one is a hair crooked. It looks more crooked in the pic than it actually is. I was too lazy to take the plates off and drill them, so I made some templates out if cardboard to mark the holes. I cant believe how much stiffer it is now.
yeah cus i would be worried about putting in some wacky stresses from the misalignment. Kinda expensive stuff to get lazy on!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
That is definitely one unsafe hack-job. I just hope you dont break something (like your leg) because you drilled holes in your bike. After you have drilled holes in it, I cant imagine that Iron Horse would ever warranty your bike if theres ever an issue. Who knows though. Im not a warranty guy.

Be careful and good luck with that abortion!

dave

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by dw
That is definitely one unsafe hack-job. I just hope you dont break something (like your leg) because you drilled holes in your bike. After you have drilled holes in it, I cant imagine that Iron Horse would ever warranty your bike if theres ever an issue. Who knows though. Im not a warranty guy.

Be careful and good luck with that abortion!

dave
You're just mad because he obstructed the cool E.13 logo! :D

I would definitely be scared to do that to any of my bikes...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by Echo
You're just mad because he obstructed the cool E.13 logo! :D

I would definitely be scared to do that to any of my bikes...
well, that too ;) hahah

no seriously, it scares me to see people do stuff like this. I fear for peoples lives. Lets face it, as much as kids want to think they are indestructable, riding DH bikes at speed is dangerous, and riding compromised equipment can literally kill you. Thats never good.

dw

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by dw
well, that too ;) hahah

no seriously, it scares me to see people do stuff like this. I fear for peoples lives. Lets face it, as much as kids want to think they are indestructable, riding DH bikes at speed is dangerous, and riding compromised equipment can literally kill you. Thats never good.

dw
dying sucks. Doesn't evil sell the LPS for that? It starts with a makrolon fiber vest and helmet right?

(life preservation security)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by dw
no seriously, it scares me to see people do stuff like this.
No kidding.

I mean, he drilled those great speedholes and then covered them up! Sheesh :rolleyes:

;)

schwaaa31, good luck with it. But I wouldn't even sit on that bike without a full face helmet. Kinda scary.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey, what a surprise.
The guy that sells the aftermarket part to fix the flex problem is against the cheap home-made fix.:devil:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Hey, what a surprise.
The guy that sells the aftermarket part to fix the flex problem is against the cheap home-made fix.:devil:
Im all about the cheap homade fixes, im just against people breaking legs or dying because of avoidable situations! :D

Luckily im not the only one who is scared by this!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Hey, what a surprise.

well theres homemade fixes and homemade fixes, its not hard to think of ways of accomplishing the same flexfix goal without drilling.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by vitox
well theres homemade fixes and homemade fixes, its not hard to think of ways of accomplishing the same flexfix goal without drilling.

well theres also knowing what you're doing, and then doing it right. Making holes in itself might not be intrinsincly harmful, but how you drilled them, how big and what you did with them after may be. Things that at the very least require good alignment shouldnt be done haphazardly either.

Then again i would be running some FEA on my machine on it beforehand....:p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hey, what a surprise.
Uh, actually, it's the guy who sells the 2004 stock linkage, which is stiffer (it's not aftermarket, it's the geniuine article), and drilling large holes in your frame linkage does not constitute a cheap, home-made "fix", it is more a temporary improvement until the frame breaks and he gets hurt kind of thing... New linkage plates from your local machine shop would be a "fix" that would be less likely to break.

I know you're just trying to stir up trouble (as usual ;) ). But hopefully nobody gets it in their head that this is a "fix", and starts going at their frame with dad's drill and gets hurt because of it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by binary visions

I know you're just trying to stir up trouble (as usual ;) ). But hopefully nobody gets it in their head that this is a "fix", and starts going at their frame with dad's drill and gets hurt because of it.
D-Dubya knows I was just messing around. You saw the devil smiley I added, right?

Anyway, i dont even know what the knobs do on my fork so WTF do I know about drilling linkage?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
D-Dubya knows I was just messing around. You saw the devil smiley I added, right?

Anyway, i dont even know what the knobs do on my fork so WTF do I know about drilling linkage?
Yeah, I knew you were messing around, was just mentioning it for the benifit of anyone else reading the post who actually did see it that way.

Sep 10, 2001
The problem is that mountain biking is full of people who "can do it better." Some can... They have the knowledge and resources to do it. Others think they can, but that sometimes leads to painful results...

Brian

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I dunno if he realized this but all frames to a point are going to flex, without flex there's gonna be a break somewhere in the frame/pivot areas. It's just how frames are made. I'm sure some are stiffer than others but there is always flex weather you admit it or not.

You think he would have atleast went through the troubles of getting holes perfectly lined up. Being cocked like that is the problem, if they were lined up and drilled buy a machine shop that knew what they were doing I wouldn't see too much of a problem there besides you make things too stiff to a point and something will crack or tweek to a unfixable point.

I agree that kids/people in general have ideas and only a few can make them work. Just because I had an idea of making a Saint style mount for a normal rear derail. doesn't mean I'll do it, but the idea is nice. IF I wanted to pursue it I'd talk to machine shop guys and see what can be done. Always look to professionals on this one.

Just out of thought, aren't FSR rear ends flexy anyways? I have a 4 bar with a 12mm TA axle and it feels fine to me, but in general, aren't FSR bikes a little more flexy then other types?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by Jm_
shoulda designed it right the first time :D
In the past iron Horse really relied on its factories and the engineers there to do things like that. They didnt have in-house engineers. If the factory said it was good, then it was good.

In reality, this is one of the reasons that I am doing design work for these guys now. So I guess it worked out in the end. The 04 bikes are stiff as all heck!

dw

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by dw
In the past iron Horse really relied on its factories and the engineers there to do things like that. They didnt have in-house engineers. If the factory said it was good, then it was good.

In reality, this is one of the reasons that I am doing design work for these guys now. So I guess it worked out in the end. The 04 bikes are stiff as all heck!

dw
I know you didn't design every aspect of the bike either, at least that is what you said at one point, so it was tongue-in-cheek with the ":D" symbol..

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by Jm_
I know you didn't design every aspect of the bike either, at least that is what you said at one point, so it was tongue-in-cheek with the ":D" symbol..
I know man, I caught your drift! ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Spunger

Just out of thought, aren't FSR rear ends flexy anyways? I have a 4 bar with a 12mm TA axle and it feels fine to me, but in general, aren't FSR bikes a little more flexy then other types?

Just M1s.....and iron horses drilled crooked because someone wants to better engineer their bike but can't be bothered with the 86.2 seconds it takes to remove a linkage plate.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
. Kinda expensive stuff to get lazy on!
I took a drill press to a new CK hub, without even unlacing the hub from the wheel, i was lazy, it was expensive stuff, but in my case eveything turned out perfect to my standards :devil:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
I took a drill press to a new CK hub, without even unlacing the hub from the wheel, i was lazy, it was expensive stuff, but in my case eveything turned out perfect to my standards :devil:
You got lucky, the good thing out of this is next frame of the week will be a 150mm, and then you'll have the CK laying around never to be used again until the axle is replaced..

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
how did you get the wheel to clear the drill's tower? that must be one massive press...

...but at least there was a pre-existing hole and a press involved.

Not everything needs the precision of a mill or lathe, as long as you take the proper steps to get adequate precision for what you're doing.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
how did you get the wheel to clear the drill's tower? that must be one massive press...

...but at least there was a pre-existing hole and a press involved.

Not everything needs the precision of a mill or lathe, as long as you take the proper steps to get adequate precision for what you're doing.
I took the tire off to get clearance, but yes it was massive