Quantcast

cheap flex fix for 03 SGS's

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
I took a drill press to a new CK hub, without even unlacing the hub from the wheel, i was lazy, it was expensive stuff, but in my case eveything turned out perfect to my standards :devil:
did you mod a king hub to work with a thru axle?? if so, that's SICK!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by zedro
well theres also knowing what you're doing, and then doing it right. Making holes in itself might not be intrinsincly harmful, but how you drilled them, how big and what you did with them after may be. Things that at the very least require good alignment shouldnt be done haphazardly either.

Then again i would be running some FEA on my machine on it beforehand....:p

I'm not stress guy by any means.... but as long as he's REALLY sure the nuts are always tight, is he really looking for trouble.

Obviously, knowing where the stress concentrations are on the links when they haven't been hacked would be nice.

But for example, frames and floor beams in airplanes are actually pretty flimsy.... or more so than you would expect anyway. So if we want to rivet a new disconnect bracket onto airplane structure, we have to run it through the stress guy. But generally they don't care because any holes we are drilling are being filled with a rivet. So the general assumption (most of the time), is that the holes will have no effect.

Now of course I'm comparing apples and oranges here.

1) this is a great big hole relative to the overall dimensions of the link

2) it's not being fastened with rivets.

3) the linkage in moving a whole lot more that airplane structure is

I'm assuming that dw has done some FEA on this very linkage. So I would take his word that it's a bad idea. But I'm not sure that the theory is so bad, but rather the execution of the idea.

Maybe instead of the jam nuts on the inside, he should use a hefty piece of carefully measured tubing between the links for the bolt to pass through, like an NAS47 spacer.

But he's pretty screwed anyway because the holes a cockeyed. But still I don't the idea is TOTALLY without merit....

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by MMike

But he's pretty screwed anyway because the holes a cockeyed. But still I don't the idea is TOTALLY without merit....
it could be saved by milling larger (and concentric!) holes, and pressing in tube/spacer thingies like you alluded to; that would reduce the stress concentration like the rivets would. Like the way the swingarm on my bike is held together.