Quantcast

Check out my new service loaner!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm sure that will come in under 30k :D

I dunno, woody's got me thinking about a vw e-golf. Most of my driving occurs under 45 now. The 0-30 time is apparently better than a GTI @ like 2.6s. So, it could be fun.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You ever driven a 20 year old wrangler? It's no fun, at all.
1978 CJ-7 V8 3-speed. I passed a CHiP on 580 at red line in 3rd and he damn near crashed he was laughing so hard because we were going 58mph in a 60mph zone and nobody would pass him.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I rented a wrangler on Oahu once. That thing almost shook itself apart when we hit 55MPH on the highway. No idea why city folks buy these gems.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I dunno, woody's got me thinking about a vw e-golf.
You have another car in the household for road trips, and a dedicated spot in your garage with 240V service? As a second car EVs are great around town.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You have another car in the household for road trips, and a dedicated spot in your garage with 240V service? As a second car EVs are great around town.
Yes, and no, but could have 240v installed. Level 1 is available at work and that's 13mi away. I just want a car that's moderately enjoyable to drive

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yes, and no, but could have 240v installed. Level 1 is available at work and that's 13mi away. I just want a car that's moderately enjoyable to drive
Level 2 really opens up the ability to do multiple trips per day.

A fun EV actually might be the i3. Light, skinny tires, great sight lines, rwd...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
When I graduated high school a Wrangler was one of the cheapest cars on the road that you could buy. It cracks me up that today people pay close to $40K for the modern equivalent which has changed very little.
They are +$60k up here for a Rubicon. The dumbest thing besides the price, is that now you cannot get a Rubicon without leather or the navigation head unit thing.

Sandwich should just buy a Subaru.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
when he still lived with my mom in rural France, and was still too young to drive a car, my brother would drive our tractor 3 or 4 kms to a rich neighbour's pool with all his friends in the bucket/shovel at all hours of morning. (these are very wealthy people with houses all over the world, to which they travel a few weeks per year - and had given my brother permission to use it whenever he wanted). The stories he told... make me want to own a tractor!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When I was but a wee lad, it was tradition to go to the annual "World Agriculture Expo". The Central Valley being the agriculture center of California, the Ag Expo was the biggest show of its kind in the world, and always had the latest and greatest in tractors, milking machines, harvesting machines, etc.... It was pretty fucking cool, and something I think everyone ought experience at least once.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My old WRX would shift into 1st even with double clutching only when warm. First few minutes? Forget about it.
If it was -15 my WRX wouldn't shift out of 1st until driving to the end of the block.

Or the occasional time it would come out of 1st and then refuse to go into 2nd. :rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you can only light one flaming arrow at a time. How exactly are you going to be able to launch a salvo or perform a proper driveby flaming arrowing.... One must consider that when purchasing a car... With the sunroof open it is difficult to determine if you had success lighting your arrow or not.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you can only light one flaming arrow at a time. How exactly are you going to be able to launch a salvo or perform a proper driveby flaming arrowing.... One must consider that when purchasing a car... With the sunroof open it is difficult to determine if you had success lighting your arrow or not.
This is why you put a strike anywhere match on the tips of your arrow.

Noob

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
liked the idea of a electric car, but as said, they are all terrible. Could make do with an i3 or vw gulf, but it's a relatively high cost of entry for such a mediocre car, and now that I can finally get something that is better than mediocre, I'd love to.

Been looking at a couple of 330i ZHPs. the thought of buying a car for cash that'll hold its value rather than leasing something for the same amount of money has an appeal. Plus convincing the wife to let me lease an alfa has been a...challenge.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
test drove an e-golf per woody's persuasion yesterday.

surprisingly decent vehicle there isn't much you're giving up by going electric. unlike the almost every other EV, where you feel like you're in a toaster, or you know in the back of your mind that you spent 80k on a 45k car, it just feels like a car. Torque is there but it isn't fast. Flooring it from a stoplight is not rewarding, but it seems like there's reasonable pickup from 30-50. I don't know that it's right for me at this point though, as there isn't a huge cost savings by going electric in my area, and there's a price premium with the e-golf vs regular golf, which would probably be more fun to drive. Maybe if I can find one for very cheap.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You accounted for the Federal tax credit and any local incentives?
Not buying new. The price of new electrics is crazy. 33g after incentives is luxury car money, and these cars all suck. I'm not enough of a tree hugger to spend more to get less. When they start making them fun to drive (not hard) or big enough to fit four people in, they make more sense. Still, the VW was an enjoyable enough drive to consider. A model 3 at 35k would be a dream, too bad they will all sell for 55.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not buying new. The price of new electrics is crazy. 33g after incentives is luxury car money,
For a new car? Hell, even 43K these days isn't really luxury car money, the germans strip the cars out at that price-point so you have to add the shit that you'd normally expect to come on such a car, which usually puts them closer to 50K. 33K is just normal honda accord territory. Accord EX-L with the 2.0 turbo starts at 33K.

I remember when you could get a nice new car in the 20s. Those days are long gone.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
For a new car? Hell, even 43K these days isn't really luxury car money, the germans strip the cars out at that price-point so you have to add the shit that you'd normally expect to come on such a car, which usually puts them closer to 50K. 33K is just normal honda accord territory. Accord EX-L with the 2.0 turbo starts at 33K.

I remember when you could get a nice new car in the 20s. Those days are long gone.
:stupid:

We paid 43K for my wifes Mazda. Granted, it's the top-of-the-line model, and it's a really nice car that I enjoy driving, but its still a Mazda, not a ///Mazda.