Quantcast

Check out the new V Dub

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I just got this yesterday, what a fun/ practial car! It's a blast to drive to, with its 200Hp turbo-charged engine:biggrin:!

A few pics:

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
how's the trunk space? what kind of bike rack are you planning to install?
Its pretty decient, with the seats folded down its actually quite large. I haven't decided on what type of roof rack to put on, its to low for a hitch [it would grind on my driveway], roof racks are pricy, about $650. I'm thinking of a saris[sp?] but i havent checked them to much. But I am defenetly going to get one.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I just drove a GTI last week. VWOA sent two GTIs and a new R32 along with two GLIs to an R32 track event at Streets of Willow.
If I didn't already have an R32 I would love a GTI. The 2.0t pulls like a V6. Turbo lag is not there. It is a very solid car and with the revamped electrical system that VW has switched to, it should be bulletproof for years to come. Very nice car, especially with those wheels. Congratulations.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nice. Did you get the boy's model or the automatic? (Actually, I've heard the auto kicks ass...would love to test-drive one...)

MD

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I love my dad's new GTI. Soooo easy to pitch sideways, and really quick for its size and price.

The auto's cool. There's drive, sport, tiptronic, and paddle-shift mode.

The paddles are junk on the street because your hands often need to rotate too far for 90 degree turns to be able to use them, but sport mode is freaking awesome for an auto. It matches revs on downshifts and actually shifts when it should. I've heard the paddles are good on a track where there aren't so many sharp corners.

The only weird thing about the auto is that occasionally on ours, it will suddenly cut out, like it's in neutral. Usually it's from low revs to high revs at low speeds.

Here she is:

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I actually drove the GTI on a track with very tight corners and it was a little ridiculous trying to keep track of the paddles. Sport mode was incredible. It let you rev to redline and blipped the throttle perfectly on downshifts.

The funny thing about the engine is that it actually has more power than advertised. People have seen almost 200 wheel horsepower from the stock engine on the dyno. It pulled almost as hard as my 247 hp VR6.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice. Did you get the boy's model or the automatic? (Actually, I've heard the auto kicks ass...would love to test-drive one...)

MD
the DSG isn't an automatic! and it indeed kicks ass. i had quite a bit of fun in the GTI i test drove this past winter, and DSG is slick.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The funny thing about the engine is that it actually has more power than advertised. People have seen almost 200 wheel horsepower from the stock engine on the dyno. It pulled almost as hard as my 247 hp VR6.
Really? Wow. VW usually likes to go off straight up crank hp to make their penises look bigger (ie, my VR puts out 225hp...at the crank :p). Good to know. How's the acceleration? I know they weigh a whole lot, but I've heard they drive very nicely.

I'm debating about getting rid of my MkIII and going FI in a 16v MkII...mmmm...MkII.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Really? Wow. VW usually likes to go off straight up crank hp to make their penises look bigger (ie, my VR puts out 225hp...at the crank :p). Good to know. How's the acceleration? I know they weigh a whole lot, but I've heard they drive very nicely.

I'm debating about getting rid of my MkIII and going FI in a 16v MkII...mmmm...MkII.
acceleration is great! Especialy if you Have the DSG trany, then you can put it in "Launch mode". It's already been up to 120mph, it would have gone farther too.

Old_Dude

Monkey
Your car has 100% more cool factor than mine . . . but mine can haul three bikes and three people - all inside the car while still getting ~27 mpg on the highway - plus mine was inexpensive compared to that one . . .

. . . I'd trade yours for my new Element in half a heartbeat if you ever get tired of it . . . nice car!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
acceleration is great! Especialy if you Have the DSG trany, then you can put it in "Launch mode". It's already been up to 120mph, it would have gone farther too.
What's "launch mode"?

BTW have you seen how when you break the tires loose the little sliding car light flashes on on the dash? So cool.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
What's "launch mode"?

BTW have you seen how when you break the tires loose the little sliding car light flashes on on the dash? So cool.
Launch mode is when you take ESP off, put in in sport mode, put your left foot on the brake, and your right on the gas. Rev it up to 3200RPM, let go of the brake, and Hold On!

That little light is so fun to get to turn on! haha.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Launch mode is when you take ESP off, put in in sport mode, put your left foot on the brake, and your right on the gas. Rev it up to 3200RPM, let go of the gas, and Hold On!

That little light is so fun to get to turn on! haha.
I wish my car launched by holding the brake and letting go of the gas.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Update:

The GTI has been being verry good. Except the passenger side front window motor burnt out. But It was fixed over warentee [sp?]!

I have recieved my fast. He is a very good fast....

Pic:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Dont worry, planning on getting the euro model springs, lowers it by about 1.5 inches. Nice and low......
That's all?

Coils, bitch! Still a MkV though...nothing will keep it from looking like an overweight Civic.

MkIV Golf on Saturday. 1.8t. I'm a bad man. First things its getting when it gets here from Veghass? Forge DV and a GIAC-X chip...