Quantcast

Choices, choices... 06 Hardrock Sport or 05 Rockhopper?

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
Okay folks, here's the latest.

I went back to the bike shop to test ride again today, since I had left my license there yesterday. (oops!) I rode the Hardrock Sport again, since I really thought that was what I was going to throw my money down on. (At $359, it's not a bad deal, I think.)

However, they have some closeout 05 Specialized Rockhoppers left, and those are $499 - but here's the catch. Until Monday, these closeout bikes are 20% off. So, my $499 Rockhopper becomes a $399 Rockhopper.

At that price, I think the Rockhopper becomes very attractive, even if it is "just" a year-old base-model Rockhopper.

As I don't know any etiquitte (and apparently can't spell ettiquette either), I don't know if it's considered bad form to haggle on the price of the bike at all? I was considering seeing if I could get them to drop the Rockhopper another $25 (a whopping 5 extra percent) to help offset taxes and whatnot - would that be considered bad form?

Lastly, the rockhopper forks were a little weird, so I'd like some opinions on this. (Keep in mind that I know nothing except what I've learned between this past Sunday and now, and be gentle with me.) The forks on the Rockhopper seemed to kind of "stick" a little in the middle of their travel distance. ie: when riding, after coming to a stop, if I lift up on the handlebars the forks have a touch of resistance before letting the slack come out. (Does that make sense?) It just didn't seem real smooth.

The LBS employee says that as the forks get broken in, they will behave better and won't "stick" so much. Is this true, or should I just buy an 06 and not worry about it?

I'd really like to have the better frame and better components offered on the 05, though.

Here are links to both for your perusal:

2006 Hardrock Sport
2005 Rockhopper

Thanks for any and all advice... I know this post has kind of meandered a bit, and I apologize for the sloppy thought-process. I'm planning on buying by Friday, and just want to ask as many "good" questions as I can before I make the jump.

James

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
jamester said:
Okay folks, here's the latest.

I went back to the bike shop to test ride again today, since I had left my license there yesterday. (oops!) I rode the Hardrock Sport again, since I really thought that was what I was going to throw my money down on. (At $359, it's not a bad deal, I think.)

However, they have some closeout 05 Specialized Rockhoppers left, and those are $499 - but here's the catch. Until Monday, these closeout bikes are 20% off. So, my $499 Rockhopper becomes a $399 Rockhopper.

At that price, I think the Rockhopper becomes very attractive, even if it is "just" a year-old base-model Rockhopper.

As I don't know any etiquitte (and apparently can't spell ettiquette either), I don't know if it's considered bad form to haggle on the price of the bike at all? I was considering seeing if I could get them to drop the Rockhopper another $25 (a whopping 5 extra percent) to help offset taxes and whatnot - would that be considered bad form?

Lastly, the rockhopper forks were a little weird, so I'd like some opinions on this. (Keep in mind that I know nothing except what I've learned between this past Sunday and now, and be gentle with me.) The forks on the Rockhopper seemed to kind of "stick" a little in the middle of their travel distance. ie: when riding, after coming to a stop, if I lift up on the handlebars the forks have a touch of resistance before letting the slack come out. (Does that make sense?) It just didn't seem real smooth.

The LBS employee says that as the forks get broken in, they will behave better and won't "stick" so much. Is this true, or should I just buy an 06 and not worry about it?

I'd really like to have the better frame and better components offered on the 05, though.
definatly get the rockhopper. the for will stop sticking aslong as you wipe off the stanchions (part that goes in the shock body) after each ride. i dont think its bad form to ask for a lower price. again rockhopper, rockhopper, rockhopper. as long as you keep the fork clean with a paper towel or something it will break in.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
The RockHopper all the way, and this is a free country so go ahead and haggle worse thing that can happen is they say "NO", when I haggle I try to get them to throw in freebies instead of lowering price, like an upgraded component or something I usually try to find end of year bikes too... I once bought a Ti DBR and had them upgrade the derailers to xtr.....

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
Got the bike! It's in my Jeep right now - too dark to ride. (For now at least). I'll be taking it out for a ride and taking pics tomorrow morning. I'm psyched!

For those in the Durham, NC, USA area - The Bicycle Chain on Broad Street is having a big sale this weekend, and Thursday (March 30th) they're having the Cannondale demo truck out. They were tremendously helpful in transitioning me from an absolute newbie to someone who's confident enough to know kinda what he wants, to helping me get my first bike. Props to them.

Pictures tomorrow!