Quantcast

Christian Wrights Turquois Commencal Furious Stolen in Santa Cruz!

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Please keep an eye out for this bike. It is one of three in the US so it shouldn;t be to hard to find. Any details of leads please call The Hub in roseville, Ca.
916-771-4821 or after hours please feel free to call my cell at 916-919-6954. Thank you

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Dear God. People's bikes getting stolen left and right.

Shame on the people for stealing them, but I'm bringing a U-lock and a cable lock next year. This is getting stupid.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
damn thieves...

There was actually a father and son checking peoples cars on the way out of Sea otter parking lot Sunday looking for their stolen "black iron horse".

I say we start cutting off hands.....

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
So awesome...the whole story is a testament to the internet, forum communities and cyclists being a true community of brothers and sisters. Thanks so much for all the help Nate! Christian and his mom Karen put the hurt on that guy right on the street! Haha, too funny to get beat up by a family. Good job team!

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
The latter.
Thank you Nate and the Hub!!!!!
I sold my motorcycle to pay for the bike and sponsors kicked in to help with parts on a tough year to be hooking up a junior.

The guy was wearing Christian's 1st place sea otter metal downtown telling people he won the otter. He left the 3rd and 4th place metals in the moho, they recovered the metal from his back pack.

He can be thankful it was my 15 year old kid and wife that found him.....

He is now facing 3 felony counts weather or not we press charges, he was 18

I am installing a car alarm on the trailer......

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
press the damn charges, he needs to learn that there is a penalty for acting like a douche bag. if you don't charge him he will blow off the lesson and steal another bike down the line and that rider may not be as lucky as you.

don't let him off the hook, toss the book at him

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
press the damn charges, he needs to learn that there is a penalty for acting like a douche bag. if you don't charge him he will blow off the lesson and steal another bike down the line and that rider may not be as lucky as you.

don't let him off the hook, toss the book at him
I dunno, going to prison for 5 years at 18 will effectively end his life.

We need a better way to rehab young offenders than just introducing them to the revolving door of incarceration....but that's another discussion.

Good to have dinner with you and your family tonight, Clark! Thanks again!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

We need a better way to rehab young offenders than just introducing them to the revolving door of incarceration....but that's another discussion.

no way they are gonna put him in prision for 5 unless he has a lot of priors
a few months served in the county jail yes, if he has been non violent he will be at the sheriffs honor camp at Buena Vista

but letting the punk off is pure BS. It's like the PC world run amok , sorry but there needs to be serious consequences for for stealing other peoples stuff. give him 2-3 thousand hours of community sevice and work furlough at the camp[you go to work and come back to the camp each night and make him have to do a few months of that.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
thats an awesome story, not only did you get your bike back while building a stronger bike community, but there is now one less douche bag on the streets. And wearing the medal walking in downtown is just classic! i would have paid to the confrontation.

Everyone on ride monkey is awesome and will always look out for each other and their property.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty awesome sounding story, but for those of us not directly involved, can you give us more info on how it went down? I love bike recovery stories.

cencalballer

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007

press the charges i hate to say it but there is no rehab for people like this they will not change. the ones that change were never like this in the first place and act like it for some other reason

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pretty awesome sounding story, but for those of us not directly involved, can you give us more info on how it went down? I love bike recovery stories.
Sure...here's the story from my perspective:

Yesterday morning I was at work (I'm a bike messenger in SC) training a new courier on a route. We were downtown on Pacific in front of the Metro bus station when I saw a guy on a turquoise Commencal DH/FR bike rolling north. I checked it out 'cause it had a sweet build and I'm a bike ogler. Anyway, I didn't think much of it, aside from the guy on the bike looking a little out of it.

Fast-forward a couple hours. I sheared off my rear derailleur down in Capitola, so my day was done and I came home. Checked RM really quick, saw this thread and instantly I knew (had I checked the night before, I would've saved everyone a lot of trouble ;))...Gave Heath a call to confirm that it was the bike and let him know that it was indeed still in SC. I didn't have a bike to hunt with, so I ran downtown to see if the guy was still there with the bike. I made a lap of the three main downtown streets and didn't see him. I walked up to the Spokesman to see if they'd seen it. Right as I was asking the manager about it, a frantic woman came running in and overheard me and exclaimed "ARE YOU THE MESSENGER?!". Anyway, turns out it was Karen, Christian's awesome mom. We talked, the Spokesman had indeed seen it the day before, and she went with her daughter to go look more.

I made one more lap of Pacific and did a bit of sleuthing...I asked the jewelry sign holder guy if he'd seen the bike around, 'cause they stand there for hours on end watching people go by. Jewelry guy had in fact seen him, and actually talked to him. He told me the kid was heading down to the Boardwalk to try to hawk the bike.

I took off at full tilt on foot towards the Boardwalk and the bike park. Right as I rounded the corner of Pacific and Beach (right at the bike park), Clark (Christian's dad/Karen's husband) gave me a call to let me know that they'd found the bike. I asked him if he'd known where, he said he didn't, and that he'd let me know when he found out. Turns out he didn't need to...up ahead I saw 3-4 police cars in front of the Boardwalk arcade and I instantly knew.

I came running up, and Karen relayed the whole story to me...I guess they'd found the guy with the bike there. Christian knocked the dude off the bike, and his mom pinned him to the ground until the police arrived. People actually ended up calling the police on THEM because they thought they were beating the crap out of this kid. Cops showed up, everything got straightened out, Christian got his bike/medal back, as well as some other family possessions the perp had looted from the motorhome. I guess he actually slept there, stole some toiletries (and other stuff as mentioned), and then jacked the bike out of a trailer and the medal.

From what I've heard, he definitely was a little "off". I guess he was parading around downtown SC telling people he'd won at Sea Otter with the medal and bike.

A happy ending. I've had bikes stolen in the past and know what it feels like...it's definitely a massive relief when you find it and it's intact, especially so soon. The last one I lost was gone 6 hours. Gotta find them quick!

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
What a punkass bitch! Kid definitely deserves to do some time for this. I can't believe anybody would think otherwise.

On a happier note, I'm glad to hear you got your bike back. That's a pretty epic story.

I wish they all ended like this...

DIE THIEVES!!! :rant:

Jump Chump

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
A, A
Do it. The system will do its best to keep the kid out of serious ****. If he has any sense, he'll figure it out. If he doesn't, well.

A kick in the ass will do wonders for most people.

damon

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
Sure...here's the story from my perspective:

Yesterday morning I was at work (I'm a bike messenger in SC) training a new courier on a route. We were downtown on Pacific in front of the Metro bus station when I saw a guy on a turquoise Commencal DH/FR bike rolling north. I checked it out 'cause it had a sweet build and I'm a bike ogler. Anyway, I didn't think much of it, aside from the guy on the bike looking a little out of it.
You are an awesome dude, its glad to know that people in this world care to help as much as you do and it makes every bike owner feel safer knowing they have friends in santa cruz.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Blue,

You frickin' rock, man. Thank you for doing that. You are the man!

On a side note, sounds like this kid will get the white-jacket and padded room treatment, versus the metal bars and concrete walls dealio.

Either way, glad a bike got returned.

Now... to find Brian's bike.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
no way they are gonna put him in prision for 5 unless he has a lot of priors
You don't know that. We were saying the same thing about one of my good high school friends. He got into some stupid stuff. No priors. Had the book thrown at him and did end up serving 4 years. Just saying, you can never guess how hard an average joe will get pinched.

Sounds like the guy is a waste of perfectly good oxygen on the planet from the recap.

Glad the bike returned to the rightful owner :monkeydance:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ha, the front wheel off of one of my road bikes got stolen last night when I left it locked in front of the old cereal bar/new yogurt place last night between 10 and 12. I was a little too drunk to remember to lock up my wheel.

Fvcking druggies in this town...I'll find it (it's a half spraypainted Easton wheel with a Specialized S-Works tire) and demolish whoever took it, but it's still lame.

like this, but with yellow graphics (and white spraypaint in portions/on the hub):

Nothing fancy, but the nicest roadie wheels I've ever owned...

Monkey
there was a whole bunch of high school aged kids running around on the mall Saturday night. Like a ton of them.

sorry to hear that, but as your avatar suggests, maybe you won't mind "sharing" the wheel with others, no?:twitch: