Quantcast

"Church don't change everybody."

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Racist Man Sentenced To Attend Black Church
6:51 am EST January 16, 2006

CINCINNATI -- A judge has sentenced a suburban Cincinnati man to attend services for six weeks at a black church for threatening to punch a black cab driver and using racial slurs.

Judge William Mallory Jr. told 36-year-old Brett Haines, "It seems readily apparent to me that you don't like black people. That's OK with me. But you have to understand that you are at the whim and authority of a black judge."

Mallory let Haines choose between attending the black church for six Sundays or spending 30 days in jail. Haines said he'd try the church, although he doesn't usually worship on Sunday.

Mallory offered Haines the choice Friday after Haines was convicted of disorderly conduct. He was arrested in November after threatening cab driver David Wilson and Wilson's wife.

Mallory said he was concerned about maintaining the separation between church and state, so the judge asked Haines whether the option would offend him.

Haines said he would like to try it.

The cab driver said he wished Haines had been jailed instead because, in his words, "Church don't change everybody."

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
oh yeah

great friggin idea.

Dude's racist, so they're sticking him in with old ladies and children who can't defend themselves...

and what about that separation of church and state????

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MudGrrl said:
oh yeah

great friggin idea.

Dude's racist, so they're sticking him in with old ladies and children who can't defend themselves...

and what about that separation of church and state????
Riiight... I can see some older woman beating the sh!t out him with her Sunday purse...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Bible Study Coming to New Braunfels ISD
WOAI News San Antonio

One public school district voted Monday night to begin offering a new bible class as part of its curriculum.

The elective course is called "The Bible and its Influence." Board members voted six to one to approve the new class.

"The Bible is a fundamental document," says Rosalyn Bratcher with the New Braunfels ISD. "It has had a great influence in terms of politics, art, music, literature."

The district says this course does not violate the First Amendment.

"What makes it compliant is that we are teaching the Bible as a textbook and a document," adds Bratcher.

Northeast ISD already offers a bible course at two of its high schools, also as an elective.

New Braunfels ISD surveyed their students and about half of the students say they are interested in taking the course.

Parents we spoke to about the issue are split on the idea.

"If you're going to have to pass this class or take this class as part of a grade or any kind of credit towards your high school diploma, I'm totally against it," says Christy Oliphant.

Keith says, "I think we need to learn more about our creator."

Now that the class has been approved by the New Braunfels school board, it will be offered to Juniors and Seniors in the fall.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
N8 said:
Bible Study Coming to New Braunfels ISD
WOAI News San Antonio

*snip*
There is no way that this will fly. The only way they might have a chance is if they study all major religions, and noy just Christianity.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Tenchiro said:
There is no way that this will fly. The only way they might have a chance is if they study all major religions, and noy just Christianity.
If this was a public university, that might fly; I know there is a class on the Book of Revelation at WWU, but it is merely a literary study, which is what it needs to be in the public setting.
Keith says, "I think we need to learn more about our creator."
I agree, but on your own time and not with taxpayer's money.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
ohio said:
I don't have a problem with it. He had options.
Offenders get sentenced to religion based programs all the time, often without any choice in the matter whatsoever. At least this guy was given options.

Plus I think the fact that it was a church was secondary to the fact he will be hopefully get to know some of his fellow church goers.