Quantcast

Clear frame protection, like Invisiframe, on an andozied frame, like my Spitfire

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
My friend just got a Transition Patrol and got some frame protection like the Invisiframe stuff. I was really impressed with the quality of the fit and everything, but the problem is the adhesion to the surface of an ano'd frame. My friends Patrol is painted, so no problem. The Invisiframe site says they don't recommend them for ano'd frames, I emailed them to confirm this and they indeed said it does not work well. Does anyone have any experience using some sort of clear frame protection on an anodized frame? Even an anodized Spitfire maybe?

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
I've use clear nail polish on cable rub zones, that workes fine. Generally anodized frames are better protected to begin with, so all-over protection is less of a priority. The black anno finish on my Darkside is friggin bombproof, two years of bike park riding so far and no real wear visible.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I've use clear nail polish on cable rub zones, that workes fine. Generally anodized frames are better protected to begin with, so all-over protection is less of a priority. The black anno finish on my Darkside is friggin bombproof, two years of bike park riding so far and no real wear visible.
That's good to hear. I reckon I won't worry about it, just do my usual chainstay protection and call it a day. Maybe a little protection here and there for problematic rubbing spots etc.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I rode my black ano Spitty so hard for four years that the pivots became irreparably worn. However there are few scratches on it and zero dents despite my affinity for rocks. The durability of that finish is ridiculous.

Unfortunately when I ordered my new Spitty there were no black ano frames available and I went with gray. And despite all the glowing remarks I've bubbled over with for the bike, the paint finish is about as durable as a Kleenex. Scratches by just looking mean at it. And I've heard similar experiences from other Spitty owners. But I'm no dentist and I damn sure didn't buy it to hang a wall.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My raw frame looks better with scratches. :busted:

Personally, I'd just slap some electrical tape on the rub areas and call it a day. Been doing that for a few years on my black forks and frames and have never had an issue. I've never been left with sticky gunk on the bike either.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I can confirm. I have a black anodized Turner DHR and the clear protecting tape is not invisible. It looks pretty bad and doesn't really stay on. Too much texture from the anodizing.

The Sharpie anodizing repair trick works well tho....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i used the thick Xpel clear tape on my Revolt and it held up well. i did have to heat it a bit to help conform to the shape and stick but it stayed on for the (short) life of the frame

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Better yet, angle grind them smooth for even more aesthetics and weight savings!
if no angle-grinder...will a belt sander suffice as an appropriate substitute?
I don't want to damage my shit, so figured I would ask teh expertz first.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
if no angle-grinder...will a belt sander suffice as an appropriate substitute?
I don't want to damage my shit, so figured I would ask teh expertz first.
In a pinch. You could also try peening the surface smooth with a small hammer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Shouldn't you cover it with mastic tape to avoid scratches and unwanted noise?
If you never wash your bike you never notice scratches. A thin layer of high tensile concrete will ensure the bike doesn't accidentally get cleaned in the rain.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My polished frame was too loud. The anodizing cut back on sound vibration while I enduroed the shit out of it.

I recommend endurotape.com

It only sticks if you KOM the shit out of it.