Quantcast

Clemson Freeride's Annual Downhill Race: March 5th, 2011

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
if it was just going to rain i'd probably still go but they're calling for some nasty storms as well. i don't want to drive 4 hours there just to turn around because a nasty storm was coming in.

RideDad

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
Come on Manimal! Little Dave is looking forward to riding with Noah. The weather is looking wet, but almost every DH race in our part of the world is wet. Hope you can make it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
you've obviously never ridden clemson in the rain ;) trust me, we're pretty bummed but it's just not worth the risk of an 8 hour round trip drive (@ $3.50 gallon) for a few hours of riding wet clay. this is the first spring clemson race we've missed since '07 and i hate not going but i've got to be picky with my limited race budget.

butterNC

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
Hey peeps in Clemson. Any updates what do ya think about this saturday. I am driving from Kentucky and they are calling for flooding here and I know %80 showers there. Just wondering how its looking right now in yalls hood. On the fence now with going and with Manimals reply I think I may back out as well. Just trying to figure out things before I get on the road today.HMMM?

Thanks

Brandon Hopkins

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
40 % chance all day and starting at 3pm the chance starts going up till dark (80 %). A chance of rain today too. Im going to pass, I dont like wet wood. Good luck to all who go, I hope it doesnt rain and I end up with egg on my face

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'll be there rain or not. But people keep calling me asking if the trailcrew is going to put anything on the wood sections for traction. If you guys do, post here and let me know, so I can bring ya a few more entries. ;)

Jay13

Chimp
Jul 6, 2008
Orlando
A buddy of mine drove up yesterday... and says its already raining there. My guess is its gonna be a wash out. Some of you guys don't want to drive 4 hours for for a wet race... I hear ya, we definitely aren't driving 9 hours for one either. Bummer, been looking forward to this for months. :(

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I really hate mud!!! Most will say I don't like to get my bike in the dirt, Ha Ha. (Not True) I want to help support this event the best way I can right now, so that means I will be dancing in the rain just like everyone else will. Look people I know I don't have to drive as far as most of you, but we all will be racing in the same conditions whether its dry or wet. This apply s to any race you go too. My thoughts are support the local races rain or shine while you still have them to race!!!!!

Lucky I am a good mud rider!!!!:D Ha Ha

Cecil

Last edited:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I am the fence about going, not that I was riding anyway (shoulder still hurts from tagging a tree hard last week in Pisgah). I'd rather not pull out the wet gear for my camera. I'll see how the weather map looks in the a.m.

Local news did say 1-3 inches of rain starting late Sat, overnight and into Sun. Map showed moisture over Clemson right now as Jay13 mentioned.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i just spoke with jimmy and he said the track is running fast right now. the rain knocked down the dust and tacked up the corners real nice. he said as long as the rain holds off for the race tomorrow it'll be stupid fast.

i wasn't able to get off of work tonight and i really don't want to start the 4 hour drive at 11pm so i don't think we're coming regardless. good luck to everyone that makes it out!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
i just spoke with jimmy and he said the track is running fast right now. the rain knocked down the dust and tacked up the corners real nice. he said as long as the rain holds off for the race tomorrow it'll be stupid fast.

i wasn't able to get off of work tonight and i really don't want to start the 4 hour drive at 11pm so i don't think we're coming regardless. good luck to everyone that makes it out!!
You and Noah always have a free place to stay in Greenville if you want!!!

Cecil

deadlink404

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Jimmy awad reporting in from my palm pre cell phone, and to let all you know. It is wetter than hurricane katrina. Mud tires are a no go due to wooden features. Recommened running grip tape on your tires for maximum traction. And once again jimmy awad reporting from clemson south carolina.
You stay classy, ridemonkey.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Fun in the Mud today!!!! I got mud behind my ears even with a full face helmet on. About 70+ racers still came out even in the conditions... Thanks to all the guys that worked hard to put on the race.

Cecil:thumb:

butterNC

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
So glad me and my buddy went. Race was super fun. Course was awesome and all around great riding company. Thanks to the Clemson Freeride peeps for putting on a good race. So much fun!

Brandon H.

deadlink404

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Once again, great time at clemson! I wish we could do this twice a year :D

Want to thank all who put on the event and made it amazing, even with some serious rain.

Before I left I tried to see the times but it was a mass cluster f#$@. So I figured I would wait a day.
So times?? :)

OldSkool

Chimp
Nov 4, 2009
Fletcher NC
The weather almost caused me to pass on this race, but I am so glad I didn't. The course was still fast and a good time was had by all. Thanks again to the guys at Clemson Freeride for an awesome day despite the weather.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My two wheel drift all the way up the ramp to this point would have been awesome to catch in real time. Glad Brad got proof. I clipped a pedal on a root and slid all the way up and thought I was gonna chuck it. Man, that windbreaker adds 50lbs. :shocked:

Speaking of which, I left it on a stump at the wall ride and went back to get it and it was gone. Somebody throw it away?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt

Is Ethan rocking some Earnhardt tribute? If not, what does the 3 signify?

I found this very eloquent excerpt on his facebook explaining it:

quehlman said:
&#8206;3 yr in, 3 times the charm, 3 is my power number, and usually good things come in 3's... more of an about me thing than anything... and if you think about it im from the south... nascar!! go fast turn left boys!! haha jk but has nothing to do with that

butterNC

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
There have been like 2 diff groups of photos put up so far. You are in some of those. More will probably be posted up later. Give the photographers some time. As I am sure they took tons of pics and need some time to put them up.

Butter out!