Quantcast

Click Click CLick Click she goes....

merlynda

Chimp
May 22, 2004
Hey all,

I just upgraded to a pair of Spinergy Xyclone Race wheels. I decided to upgrade to a XT cassette as well.

So, now my bike makes this clicking noise. I hate it.

Is there a way to make the cassette stop clicking?

I think it is cassette, because it only clicks when I am "coasting". It makes the same clicking sound when I pedal backwards with the bike still, or if I "roll" the bike forward, but doesn't click when I roll the backwards.

-Thanks!

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Its the freehub on the wheelset that is making the clicking and not the cassette. You cannot silence the hub and the only way to avoid it is by getting a new rear wheel. You'll learn to get used to it.

merlynda

Chimp
May 22, 2004
OK, thanks! I do love the wheels. Hope I do get used to it. My other rims must have been "silent hubs". Very nice to not hear anything. Oh well.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my mtn. bike is pretty quite(you know, not loud...I can't spell)

my bmx bike is freakin LOUD! I hate it. i find myself pedaling all the time to not hear the noise it makes. others love a loud hub, I hate it. :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The clicking is actually a sign of a quality hub (generally). Usually means the bike moves forward more responsively, with less slop to take up in the pedals before the hub engages. (turn your pedals by hand...you'll see the cranks move just a tad before the wheel starts turning.) The clicking results from the mechanical necessity to get that faster engagement.

Really expensive hubs sound like angry beehives coasting at speed.